Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default 2019 SA Champs Nov 30th/Dec 1st

As per the heading, the dates are Saturday 30th November and Sunday 1st December and the competition is to be played over two days:-

Saturday 30th November - Mount Compass GC, midday tee-off. (4 groups)

Sunday 1st December - Royal Adelaide GC, 11am tee-off. (4 groups)

The above are the only rounds associated with the SA Champs, anything outside of this will need to be arranged via the hosting club member.

Green fees are still to be confirmed BUT the combined fees for the above is likely to be around $210 per participant.

Am after at least $50 deposit by August 31st, then the balance before October 31st 2019.

For Saturday 30th November a table has been booked at the Mt Compass GC restaurant; have booked for 16 people at 5.30pm so let me know if you intend staying for dinner ASAP so I can adjust the booking as required.

NOTE:- dinner costs at Mount Compass GC are not included in the fees below, these will be a pay on the night thing!

Mt C

RAGC

Dinner
    @ Mt C
    $ Total $ PAID $ Owing
    Peppas Y Y
    Y $210 $210 $0 Paid
    Hatchman Y Y
    Y $210 $210 $0 Paid
    Flavzz Y X
    Y $70 $70 $0 Paid
    Thecollective Y Y
    Y $210 $210 $0 Paid
    Wazamac Y X
    Y $70 $70 $0 Paid
    Marcel Y Y
    X $70 $70 $0 RAGC Member
    Coopers Country Y Y
    Y $210 $210 $0 Paid
    BobsYourUncle Y Y X $210 $210 $0 Paid
    nadg63 Y X
    Y $70 $70 $0 Paid
    Mr White Y Y Y $70 $70 $0 RA Recip
    Jono Y Y
    Y $210 $210 $0 Paid
    Boots Y Y Y $210 $210 $0 Paid
    Ferrins Y Y Y $70 $70 $0 RA Recip
    Hard_Pan Y Y
    Y $210 $210 $0 Paid
    Nudgee Y Y
    Y $70 $70 $0 RA Recip
    Ploppy Pat Y Y Y $70 $70 $0 RA Recip
    James (RAGC) X Y X $0 $0 $0

Oldracer - withdrawn, paid $210.
    Last edited by nadg63; 26th November 2019 at 07:00 PM.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Nailed it.

You win a cookie.

Due to the great responce and amount of entries I have upped the dinner booking to 16 people. As it happens there are also 16 participants in the two Champs rounds themselves - thanks guys.

I played at Mt Compass today, and had lunch in the restaurant afterwards - nearly 20 there today (Monday) for lunch.
    Apparently,over half of the restaurant clientele are locals, the rest golfers.
    The people (contractors) running the restaurant have been there for a year now - previously at Links Lady Bay (I wonder why they left? Seems obvious now given the hotel bankruptcy. They left before the hotel owners went through the hoop).

Lunch was excellent - I presume TC has booked for the golf dinner.

Course was excellent as well. Lots of kangaroos (big reds, mums, joeys). It really is as good as TC says. Greens play well, but are thatchy. But they play well. If you haven't been since ownership changed in 2016, you will be surprised.

Should be a great 36 holes (54 for those going to Links Lady Bay on the pre-game day).

Benje

Quote Originally Posted by Benje View Post
    I presume TC has booked for the golf dinner.

Course was excellent as well. Lots of kangaroos (big reds, mums, joeys). It really is as good as TC says.
    Appreciate the kind words Benje! Our super organised Nadg has booked dinner. Great to hear that MC won't have any coring done over the period so it will make for a very tough weekend particularly if the wind gets up

What I love most about MC is the green contours and how they differ at multiple entry points. IMO it is a marginally better golf course than Lady Bay. I must admit over a few more games this year I have grown to have less hate for #10, in saying that though I still think it needs a change along with #11 for the course to reach its maximum potential

I heard a rumor of a possible planned bunker renovation in the near future? Not sure if it is genuine information as was mentioned on the grapevine during a round (with a person I didn't know previously)

They have renovated the bunkers already TC.
    Some of the bunkers integrate into the rough/bracken as well as Royal Melbourne and Cypress Point.
    I dislike the high entry lips on the bunkers, but that is a minor matter.
    MC is about to acquire a bunker ripper of some form - personally I thought the bunkers were excellent and would be low on the 'spend' list.

#10 worked better for me on Monday - layed up to about 100 metres. Can't attack the pin on the third shot, but you live to play again.
    Hit a 3-wood afterwards, which landed high and right, and rolled back 40 metres to near my lay-up.
    If you can carry your second to land within 60 metres of the green or closer, go for it, otherwise lay-up.
    Some of the gulch has been removed - the left side near #8 tee. Also a bit wider on 7, and a few other strategic removals.

I had more success on #11 as well - played a long second to the left and allowed the ground to work.

Greens have plenty of slope, so are quick downhill, slow uphill and break viciously side hill. They have them at a fair pace though.

They did a light scarify and solid tyne recently. I don't think any other greens work is planned.

'More kangaroos than Karrinyup'.

Benje: If you layup just short of the green on #10 there is a secret way to get the ball very close to the cup. Not really a hard one to figure out but if you texas wedge the ball all the way up to the back bunker lip it funnels down nicely to the hole

A good example of using the green contours at MC

Senior Member Major Winner

10 at MC is the only hole there I haven't worked out the best way to play for myself.
    I've had more than enough rounds there but have no clear idea of where I'd prefer to play the 2nd and 3rd shot from which ultimately results in butchering the hole completely through lack of commitment.
    A lot of it stems from not knowing what to take off the tee in what conditions as that can vary a fair bit from the elevated position.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 25th September 2019 at 03:46 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    10 at MC is the only hole there I haven't worked out the best way to play for myself.
    I've had more than enough rounds there but have no clear idea of where I'd prefer to play the 2nd and 3rd shot from which ultimately results in butchering the hole completely through lack of commitment.
    A lot of it stems from not knowing what to take off the tee in what conditions as that can vary a fair bit from the elevated position.
    Hatchy: Going right just short of the forest gives you a view but that's about it.

Much easier to layup short of the LHS corner bunker and then pop a 5 iron over the trees just short of the green. I use a 4 hybrid that gives me a bit more height. From there its a putter right up to the top the front lip of the back bunker, then you have yourself a makeable birdie putt

Drive up the middle with a 3-wood, (driver can find trouble either side), second shot draw it around the corner, third aim it out to the far right of the green as it funnels back down and across to the hole - that's my theory on #10, has worked occasionally!

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    Drive up the middle with a 3-wood, (driver can find trouble either side), second shot draw it around the corner, third aim it out to the far right of the green as it funnels back down and across to the hole - that's my theory on #10, has worked occasionally!
    not one of those shots works for me.

Maybe I should put the Persimmon 2wood in the bag for this hole.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Duff it off the tee, blade a 3 iron short of the ditch, Fat a 5 iron 60m short, Not give the pitch enough and end up in the 7ft deep bunker, Throw it up the hill and 3 putt back down.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Duff it off the tee, blade a 3 iron short of the ditch, Fat a 5 iron 60m short, Not give the pitch enough and end up in the 7ft deep bunker, Throw it up the hill and 3 putt back down.
    Sounds similar to the last time we played it! I hit a perfect drive short of the bunkers, but then thinned it into the bushes, had to hack it out sideways, 2 shots later I got to play my texas wedge shot, put it to one metre for the double bogey!

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Just realised this clashes with the test match in Adelaide, so that makes me an out for this. Put my deposit towards the prize fund please.

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    Just realised this clashes with the test match in Adelaide, so that makes me an out for this. Put my deposit towards the prize fund please.
    Okey dokey.

So, has anyone booked accom for this for the weekend yet?

Just a reminder that the balance of monies owing are due by the end of THISmonth please!

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Need any social media promotion for this, nadg? I could put up a post on Insta and FB, and see if you get any more punters.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Need any social media promotion for this, nadg? I could put up a post on Insta and FB, and see if you get any more punters.
    Thanks for the offer AndyP but probably no need, as I only booked in 4 groups for the Saturday round there are currently only two spots, (possibly one!?) spare.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Thanks for the offer AndyP but probably no need, as I only booked in 4 groups for the Saturday round there are currently only two spots, (possibly one!?) spare.
    There's no guarantee of getting any extra from the post, but it might fill the spots. I don't think OZgolf is considered a social media influencer.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    There's no guarantee of getting any extra from the post, but it might fill the spots. I don't think OZgolf is considered a social media influencer.
    Haha, go ahead then!

Just a reminder that the balance of monies owing are due by the end of THISmonth please!
    balance paid, now leave me alone

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    balance paid, now leave me alone
    Yep, me too. 😎

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Just quietly ... I can’t wait to play RA. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Just quietly ... I can’t wait to play RA. 
    It's really good, the small greens and surrounds are the highlight for me, such interesting approach shots depending on your angle.

#3, #11 and #14 live up to the hype. #8 for me is a cracker and underrated. #14 is the best hole on the course IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Just quietly ... I can’t wait to play RA.
    Don’t expect too much.

There’s not too much or too little of anything. It’s just about perfect.

Thread Information