Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread

Default Black heatshrink tube on lower golf shaft near ferrule - anyone also done?

Hi,

I've noticed Seemore putters used a black section at the bottom of the golf shaft that goes down to the head, I was interested why.

Saturday I went to JayCar and purchased WH5536 Heatshrink 16mm x 1.2M Black, took the Yes Tiffany Swash putter grip off, cut a length of about 25cm, placed at bottom of shaft and used heatgun to reduce in size and create a nice matt black finish.

I found without the black over the chrome end, the putter head lost focus as the chrome was more obvious than the black head.

I love the result and am actually considering adding 20 to 25cm to my Apex 19 Combo and MD PM-Grind SW and LW to get a similar effect of focussing on the iron head alignment rather than be distracted by the chrome shaft.

I'm 65yo so a bit strange, but a decent golfer with GA of 1.7 to 3.5, handicap has been knocked around as just recovering from heart attack.

About 6 years I sufferred from the dreaded YIPS but mine was what I call THE FULL SWING YIPS where it affected me taking the club away with EVERY CLUB in the bag.

To overcome the YIPS, not 100% cured but close, I started to really focus on VISUALISATION, I mean picking out definite spots, I mean a leaf and not the tree or branch, or top of flagstick and this greatly helped.

Before (images from web)

40646g-yes-tifanny-c-groove-putter-34-inches-right-handed-40646g-2__75149.1520897073.1280.1280.jpg

40646g-yes-tifanny-c-groove-putter-34-inches-right-handed-40646g-3__37628.1520897074.1280.1280.jpg

After black heatshrink

yes_tiffany_black_shaft 020.jpg

yes_tiffany_black_shaft 016.jpg

Cheerz
    WITB
    Driver: CALLAWAY Epic Flash 10.5* with Fujikura VENTUS VeloCore Blue 6-S
    Fairway: CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH #3 15* with Hzrdus Smoke
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic #2 18* GD Tour AD DI-85S
    Irons: Callaway 2014 Apex Forged 4-PW + AW TT XP95 S300
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56-13, 60-10
    Putter: 2019 Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line CS
    H/cap: 3.8

Clubmaker

http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQsassZaustgolfdiscountsQQhtZ-1

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I did this to my putter late 2017

Finish has held up fantastically, only slight rub marks from getting in and out of the bag.

Last edited by Wenz; 20th May 2019 at 12:14 PM.

Hi,

Your's looks great as well, makes a lot of sense.

Cheerz

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    I did this to my putter late 2017

Finish has held up fantastically, only slight rub marks from getting in and out of the bag.

WITB

Clubmaker

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by daMANiack View Post
    Hi,

About 6 years I suffered from the dreaded YIPS but mine was what I call THE FULL SWING YIPS where it affected me taking the club away with EVERY CLUB in the bag.

To overcome the YIPS, not 100% cured but close, I started to really focus on VISUALISATION, I mean picking out definite spots, I mean a leaf and not the tree or branch, or top of flagstick and this greatly helped.
    daMan: great to hear you have found a focus point to break up the focal dystonia that is going on in your body. I have suffered from it all my life with most of the individual sports that I played - strangely though never in basketball.

It can also occur in musicians and very commonly public speaking although I have never experienced any issues with either outside of golf.

I have found that when my focus point shifts to strike rather than result it has made a dramatic improvement particularly in my putting (ie: rewarding good strikes even if the ball does not go in). I still however occasionally get it creeping in particularly on sensitive putts that require less acceleration. I am currently working on a new strategy to combat this.

A recent book I have read has helped alot with developing new strategies. 'Putting out of your mind" by Dr Bob Rotella
    Last edited by thecollective; 20th May 2019 at 02:44 PM. Reason: more info

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    I did this to my putter late 2017Finish has held up fantastically, only slight rub marks from getting in and out of the bag.
    #StrokeLab17

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Last edited by Jono; 20th May 2019 at 06:46 PM.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

the golf balls that have patterns on them that look like Soccer balls, were designed for the exact purpose of helping those who cant concentrate their eyes on the ball.

I forgot the technical term for this, but those patterns are placed on the ball for a purpose, to draw ones eyes to a specific point, not for fun.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Hi,

Thanks for your interest, I just see too many golfers standing over the ball waiting for the golf swing to commence, doomed for failure.

My recovery started about 3 years started by chance, I was just about to give up golf for another 3 months due to the anxiety levels that slowly increased due to my frustrations about trying to commence the golf swing, MY BODY JUST WASN'T PREPARED TO ROTATE. My left arm (RH golfer) was attempting to move the club away, but my dominent right hand said NO and would just move the club up and down violently, then my legs moved up/down, it was appalling for a 5-6 h'cap golfer then, damn right embarrassing.

One day I was so frustrated, I just walked to the ball from the side and immediately swung. I was so taken by this as it was the first swing in nearly 3 years that wasn't filled with ANXIETY.

Over the next few weeks, I refined my new swing.
    1. Stood behind the golf ball, looked at target and got an immediate spot just in front of the golf ball, maybe 12 inches
    2. While looking at my intermediate spot, I moved to the ball from the side, planted my left foot, then right foot and IMMEDIATELY STARTED THE SWING, absolutely no pause, not even for a split second. It's amazing how your subconscience and body know what to do to setup adequetely to the ball to enable you to swing.
    3. The secret was not looking at the ball until the last spilt second
    4. Why this worked was due to the planting of the RIGHT FOOT initiated the WEIGHT SHIFT to the right side, the sub conscience knew what to do
    I used the above routine for about 2 years, playing local competitions and even interstate Victoria Senior Order of Merit events at Yarra Yarra, Huntingdale, Kingston Heath, Commonwealth, Victoria and Metropolitan GCs without any yippyness or anxiety. My walk-in routine surprised all of my playing partners but because I was hitting the ball SO WELL, a number of them said, I'M GOING TO TRY THAT.
    About 10 months ago, I had a lesson with John Corbett, my golf pro at Kooyonga GC in Adelaide and we started to refine my 2 setup routines, the conventional routine I could use on the practice fairway and the walk-in I HAD TO USE ON THE GOLF COURSE due to increase in anxiety levels.
    1. Stand behing ball, look at target and pick my intermediate spot in front of the golf ball
    2. Move into the ball and take a conventional setup, aligning myself with a straight line drawn from the intermediate spot and through the ball
    3. LOOK AT THE TARGET, pick out a specific spot, a leaf rather than a branch or tree, the top nut holding the flag onto the flagstick rather than just the flagstick
    4. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART. Whilst VISUALISING MY TARGET, start a very slow and deliberate waggle of the club away from the ball and at the same time, LIFT UP MY LEFT HEAL and COUNT 1, then left RIGHT HEAL and COUNT 2
    5. Then whilst still waggling the club, maybe starting second waggle, I lift LEFT HEAL and COUNT 3, then RIGHT HEAL and COUNT 4
    6. COUNT 4 is MY TRIGGER and I IMMEDIATELY COMMENCE THE GOLF SWING
    7. During my setup routine, I'M IN CONTINUOUS MOTION, something is ALWAYS MOVING, if I'd STOP, I'd be waiting for something to start swing
    When I'm counting to 4, no-one else hears me but I'm counting aload under my breathe and COUNT 4 is the MOST PROMINENT as it's MY TRIGGER.

Using this routine, I got my h'cap to GA 1.7, currently GA 3.9 due to ill health and heart attack a week ago, but I'm now raring to go.

With my putting, I use a slightly different routine, I've showed a few golfers at my local GC and they've now pretty well overcome the yips, or getting there.
    1. Look at your putt, pick breaks and high point if a breaking putt as usual
    2. Setup as usual over the ball
    3. IMPORTANT, trace the line of the putt a couple of times from ball to the hole, but on your last look at hole and just before your eyes focus on the golf ball, start your putting stroke
    The problem seems to be for yippers is when the EYES focus on the golf ball, you have to reduce the time of golf ball focus and this is where a continuous moving routine is so imprtant.

I'm now at a place where I can on difficult shots, where stance is restricted by tree, fence etc., that I can COUNT TO 4 without lifting my HEALS.

Cheerz

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    daMan: great to hear you have found a focus point to break up the focal dystonia that is going on in your body. I have suffered from it all my life with most of the individual sports that I played - strangely though never in basketball.

It can also occur in musicians and very commonly public speaking although I have never experienced any issues with either outside of golf.

I have found that when my focus point shifts to strike rather than result it has made a dramatic improvement particularly in my putting (ie: rewarding good strikes even if the ball does not go in). I still however occasionally get it creeping in particularly on sensitive putts that require less acceleration. I am currently working on a new strategy to combat this.

A recent book I have read has helped alot with developing new strategies. 'Putting out of your mind" by Dr Bob Rotella
    Last edited by daMANiack; 21st May 2019 at 11:34 AM.
    WITB

Clubmaker

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

daMan: good post, on the topic of counting I have recently used Paige Spiranac's saying: 'one potato two potato' as a way of slowing down my putting stroke. Seems to work well in terms of getting a smoother tempo.

Hi,

UPDATE:

Love the look of the putter SOOOOO MUCH I finished up doing the rest of my iron set, it really highlights the club head.

I found the black heatshrink added too much swing weight to the club, about 2 SW's so I removed and purchased some matt black automotive car wrap from Autobarn 20cm x 2.03m and cut in strips of 35mm, wraps around shaft with enough overlap for a secure fit.

Where I see this benefits the putter most is when the putter head is dark to black.

Cheerz
    WITB

Clubmaker

Thread Information