Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cambodia Golf

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Default Cambodia Golf

Anyone played at Phnom Penh or Siem Reap?

Best tracks, ones to avoid, anything to know?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Phnom Penh has to main courses. Played in bit Grand Phnom Penh and Garden City.

Grand is pretty flat and not overly long. Good walk and layout is ok.

Garden City is a better layout course imho and good challenge.

If you can get on both give them a try but if you have to choose go for Garden City. I think you may need a member to play Grand Phnom Penh but you may be to get on since you're not Cambodian.

In Siem Reap Phokeethra is a good challenging course and long. Another course you should try is Booyoung, from memory is Korean owned.

Condition of the courses should be good given labour is so cheap. Recommend carts as it will get hot and the caddie will love you for it as they don't have to drag you clubs for you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

Phokeethra Rwview

From the initial pickup from my hotel in
    Siem Reap, to arriving with half a dozen caddies and staff greeting me at the front door, to my departure 4 or so hours later, the staff and service was 5*.

The round with clubs, cart, caddy was about $200US. Ouch. However thats probably a dollar per staff member I saw.

First, the bad. Hire clubs were poor. 13 year old Srixons with the wrong shafts were offered to me. At this price, AP2s, M4s or new Pings are the standard. And this is about my only negative for the day.

Course was in pure condition. Tees had received recent maintenance with sanding but didnt effect playability. Greens were firm and quite fast, with the complexes having movement and undulation. Fairways were immaculate.

Water was in play on most holes, and I found plenty when I didnt listen to my excellent caddie.

The land is relatively flat without dramatic undulation like a FLC HaLong Bay/BaNa Hills. More Danang GC or Montgomery Links. Due to the flat land, the course lacks that drama and *magic* WOW moment.

Overall experience probably 4.5 out of 5 for the day... Course and facilities condition 5/5. Service 5/5. Design 4.5/5. Course excitement level 3.5/5

Its what you would expect a top level SE Asian course. Just wish my clubs were slightly more suitable and the course had a bit of elevation.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I hope some photos are coming.

As requested AndyP

The 1200 year old Angkor bridge. Then a few random course shots

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Chopperlink

WITB

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    That's pretty daunting, especially if you were playing your shot in from where the photo was taken.

Par 5, 500mish from the plates.

I laid up short left and had 100 in, but a bomber would have had that for their second.

The bunkers were all quite soft, so you were 50/50 on getting a fried egg

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    The round with clubs, cart, caddy was about $200US. Ouch. However thats probably a dollar per staff member I saw.
    That seems to be about Standard now for the likes of Cambodia, Vietnam and China - tourist prices.

Due to the flat land, the course lacks that drama and *magic* WOW moment.
    yes, just looks like another asian golf course to me.

to my departure 4 or so hours later
    Couldnt even stay for a beer?

I generally spend 7-8 hours at golf in asia, it's just a great day out with their upscale facilities - breakfast, lunch, etc etc.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Angkor Golf Club

This was my second round in Siem Reap, the other at Phokeethra.

I will split this rating a few ways.

Staff were professional and courteous. I received a yardage book on arrival which was excellent and high quality. Range balls were included in the price which was an unexpected bonus, and the hire set were excellent Cobra F8 in the right shaft. This was a very good start to proceedings, with practise and warmup facilities 5 star.

Course condition was the letdown. The tees were patchy, but the proshop had informed me of this prior to play, and many of the fairways were thin where a significant weed removal program has occurred. Maintenance is a necessary evil for golf courses, so I am not going to mark them down for that.

However, the greens were absolutely pure, being quite firm and true in roll. If the rest of the course returns to the state of the greens it will be 100% pure.

Course design. I saw it was a Nick Faldo track. I doubt Nick has ever been to Cambodia, but the course offered lots of wow moments. Part of this was the way tees were hidden from the previous green, so the element of surprise worked.

It seemed most times you arrived on the next tee, the hole was spectacular. Either a sea of sand, or tee shots through trees, or trees framing the preferred shape of shot, or water as a carry on either tee or 2nd shot.

The greens were interesting without being unplayable wild, and were varied in size and shape.*

Most holes seemed to have water left and palms and bunkers right, and a few tee shots dictated a forced layup.

Overall, a high quality layout, close to Siem Reap, and reasonable in price for SE Asia at about $170ish US for green fee (discounted due to flying Cambodia Air), cart, caddy and hire clubs.

Service 4.5/5
    Course layout 5/5
    Condition 3.5/5, although condition is always variable with golf

Neither make my Asian Top 3 though. HaLong Bay, Red Mountain and a few around Danang are better

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WBennett; 21st July 2019 at 10:13 AM.

Chopperlink

WITB

Thread Information