Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Country Memberships

Hi all,
    Been out of the game for a number of years but looking at playing again when I can. Has anyone recently signed up for a country membership, and what are the pros and cons? I can't justify a full membership, or even a 5 day.

My son is playing tennis tournaments all over the place. Dawned on me the other week I could go for a round somewhere instead of sitting around for up to 10 hours bored out of my mind!

Off to Parkes in 2 weeks so will suss out a course out there.

Any info on country memberships appreciated.

(Forum doesn't look as busy as it used to be)

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Look up racnsw membership for golf if you are in NSW

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Look up racnsw membership for golf if you are in NSW

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    It's NRMA up here, and they don't do golf.

Warringah may still have a $100 golf access equivalent, that caters for the non-club member in our social club. I think I played with someone last year that got the same deal from Windsor, but he lived in Maroubra.

Other than that, Howlong is a popular option with older blokes around here watching their pennies.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

My membership has just lapsed, but I have been using Social Golf Australia for mine, at 95 bucks.
    https://www.socialgolfaustralia.com....3&pageID=12318

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Royal Hobart

Ozgolf Mod Major Winner
    Blog Entries

$150 lifestyle membership @ Windsor. I'm thinking of moving to that when renewal comes up @ Richmond in June. It'll eliminate the rule that some of the courses out here have about playing a certain number of rounds at your home course.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Social Golf Australia or Windsor might be the go.

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

The pro is that you save money. If you play 5 times a year it a nobrainer.

The con (appropriately) is that the locals will hate you if the play the same course two weeks in a row, and even more so if you win the comp. Be prepared for a grilling as to why you are a member of Walcha. Invariably you will play with someone who used to be a member and will ask you how Old Macca is going nowadays.

My understanding is the country courses themselves don't mind. Most of the small ones are doing it tough, and every hundred bucks helps.

The other thing is that you are treated as a second class citizen by the club you are playing at. You'll be lucky to get a Saturday game anywhere, and even in the midweek comp you are likely to be paired with the most unpopular player in the club, or the regular group of three 85 year olds who nobody wants to play with. Even if there are vacancies elsewhere on the sheet.

My personal view is that you should do the right thing and actually play your country course once in a while. Difficult if you pick Howlong, not so hard if you play somewhere that hosts a tennis tournament.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    The pro is that you save money. If you play 5 times a year it a nobrainer.

The con (appropriately) is that the locals will hate you if the play the same course two weeks in a row, and even more so if you win the comp. Be prepared for a grilling as to why you are a member of Walcha. Invariably you will play with someone who used to be a member and will ask you how Old Macca is going nowadays.

My understanding is the country courses themselves don't mind. Most of the small ones are doing it tough, and every hundred bucks helps.

The other thing is that you are treated as a second class citizen by the club you are playing at. You'll be lucky to get a Saturday game anywhere, and even in the midweek comp you are likely to be paired with the most unpopular player in the club, or the regular group of three 85 year olds who nobody wants to play with. Even if there are vacancies elsewhere on the sheet.

My personal view is that you should do the right thing and actually play your country course once in a while. Difficult if you pick Howlong, not so hard if you play somewhere that hosts a tennis tournament.
    I still don’t understand this attitude

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Thought it would have been different by now.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Scone golf club always had a cheap membership if you are anywhere near the hunter region

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Thought it would have been different by now.
    Was it ever really a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Hi all,Been out of the game for a number of years but looking at playing again when I can. Has anyone recently signed up for a country membership, and what are the pros and cons? I can't justify a full membership, or even a 5 day.My son is playing tennis tournaments all over the place. Dawned on me the other week I could go for a round somewhere instead of sitting around for up to 10 hours bored out of my mind!Off to Parkes in 2 weeks so will suss out a course out there.Any info on country memberships appreciated.(Forum doesn't look as busy as it used to be)
    Howlong, Lots of reciprocal clubs too

Blog Entries

See also 'Course Closures' thread.

I can see their point ... Clubs rely on getting income each year to cover their expenses. The income can come from many sources ... subs, comp fees, visitor days, F&B sales, pro-shop, functions, investments, joining fees, etc. with annual subs being the major and most reliable income.

A member playing once a week, paying $1500 subs annually and another $1500 in comp fees, equipment and beverages = $60 per game income, every week.
    A local with country membership paying $25 visitor fee and another $10 for comp fee and a $5 drink = $40 income.
    If it costs '$50 per game-played' to run the club, then the club makes money on the member (which can be put towards course improvements) and actually subsidises the visitor.

Often the counter-point is 'But that is $40 the club would not have received otherwise.' only means that the club will go out backwards at a slower rate. (Or faster, as more members work out their $20 bonus each week by giving up their membership.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    See also 'Course Closures' thread.

I can see their point ... Clubs rely on getting income each year to cover their expenses. The income can come from many sources ... subs, comp fees, visitor days, F&B sales, pro-shop, functions, investments, joining fees, etc. with annual subs being the major and most reliable income.

A member playing once a week, paying $1500 subs annually and another $1500 in comp fees, equipment and beverages = $60 per game income, every week.
    A local with country membership paying $25 visitor fee and another $10 for comp fee and a $5 drink = $40 income.
    If it costs '$50 per game-played' to run the club, then the club makes money on the member (which can be put towards course improvements) and actually subsidises the visitor.

Often the counter-point is 'But that is $40 the club would not have received otherwise.' only means that the club will go out backwards at a slower rate. (Or faster, as more members work out their $20 bonus each week by giving up their membership.)
    You example assumes the the country member plays 50+ comps at the same course and the member spends $750 on equipment. Clearly that’s not happening.

How is a visitor with a country membership any different from a visitor from the club down the road? They’re costing the visited club just as much.

Blog Entries

You example assumes the the country member plays 50+ comps at the same course and the member spends $750 on equipment. Clearly that’s not happening.

How is a visitor with a country membership any different from a visitor from the club down the road? They’re costing the visited club just as much.
    I can see their point, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

The extra $750 from equipment and beverages includes post game bar sales (and any social activities at the club). I assumed the hypothetical 'minimum cost' player will be saving more money at Dan Murphy's and GolfBox for these.

I'm still getting my head around the concept of visitors (as opposed to member's guests) being allowed to play in comps, which wasn't allowed when I first started playing at a country course, then isolated from this over 30 years at a private club.

Interestingly, at my current club (with more realistic annual subs) allows visitors in comps with bookings only a few days beforehand. They have now closed Saturday comps to visitors, as the fields are near full (and it allows members to get a game at late notice). Wednesdays comps are one tee starts and members (men and women) fill the the first three hours, and generally an open day after that. No skin off my nose, if decent golfers can bring a few mates for a comp game, and it probably explains the increase in membership leading to the closure of Saturday comps to visitors.

I can see their point, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

The extra $750 from equipment and beverages includes post game bar sales (and any social activities at the club). I assumed the hypothetical 'minimum cost' player will be saving more money at Dan Murphy's and GolfBox for these.

I'm still getting my head around the concept of visitors (as opposed to member's guests) being allowed to play in comps, which wasn't allowed when I first started playing at a country course, then isolated from this over 30 years at a private club.

Interestingly, at my current club (with more realistic annual subs) allows visitors in comps with bookings only a few days beforehand. They have now closed Saturday comps to visitors, as the fields are near full (and it allows members to get a game at late notice). Wednesdays comps are one tee starts and members (men and women) fill the the first three hours, and generally an open day after that. No skin off my nose, if decent golfers can bring a few mates for a comp game, and it probably explains the increase in membership leading to the closure of Saturday comps to visitors.
    So visitors are ok or are all these visitors in your open comps sending your club broke?

We just need to make sure they’re visiting from the right place. This is golf after all, we can’t just let anyone in.

Blog Entries

So visitors are ok or are all these visitors in your open comps sending your club broke?

We just need to make sure they’re visiting from the right place. This is golf after all, we can’t just let anyone in.
    I misinterpreted the word 'understand' in your orginal statement. I was explaining why this attitude still exists, as opposed to agreeing with it. (Like explaining why people used an anchored putter, without actually using one.)

They'll probably find that those opposed to visitors, are the same ones who opposed an increase in subs as operating costs increased, because 'I've always only paid $x' or 'I'm now a pensioner.'.
    Last edited by Dotty; 5th May 2019 at 06:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Oops. I forgot to answer your question ...

No, they aren't. If they were, then I trust the board would address it. (The golf club is partly owned by a large RSL club, which has no emotional attachment to golf or club traditions.)

As for my personal stance on visitors in comps ...
    At my last club, it cost a bucket load, with the expectation that 'Membership has its privileges'.
    Now, I pay only one-third of that amount for a better course, but less tradition. I realise that the shortfall has to be made up in other areas, including visitors in comps.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

You example assumes the the country member plays 50+ comps at the same course and the member spends $750 on equipment. Clearly that’s not happening. How is a visitor with a country membership any different from a visitor from the club down the road? They’re costing the visited club just as much.
    Whilst I can see Dotty’s point to a degree, his numbers about what a member spends on top of his subs is way off the mark. He hasn’t taken into account all of the car park members who never see the inside of the clubhouse! At our club I would suggest that that figure could be as high as 50%! That’s what is sending clubs broke.
    Last edited by Steve57; 5th May 2019 at 12:59 PM.

To me it’s about where the visitors come from , Howlong had 800 country members who lived in Sydney . Now that’s ok if they were wanting to play at Howlong a few times a year or needed a cap to play in some corporate days .Not ok if they are playing in all the open comps every week in Sydney. Join the cheapest club in Sydney and use it as your home club if money is tight , then play in the open comps

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    Whilst I can see Dotty’s point to a degree, his numbers about what a member spends on top of his subs is way off the mark. He hasn’t taken into account all of the car park members who never see the inside of the clubhouse! At our club I would suggest that that figure could be as high as 50%! That’s what is sending clubs broke.
    Me again.

I pay my subs, I pay my comp fee. I usually buy a can of coke when I’m done but feel no obligation to sit in the clubhouse and spend an hour or two and $40 whenever I play golf.

I misinterpreted the word 'understand' in your orginal statement. I was explaining why this attitude still exists, as opposed to agreeing with it. (Like explaining why people used an anchored putter, without actually using one.)

You'll probably find that those opposed to visitors, are the same ones who opposed an increase in subs as operating costs increased, because 'I've always only paid $x' or 'I'm now a pensioner.'.
    If it makes it easier you can substitute all references to you and your with they/them and their.

Me again. I pay my subs, I pay my comp fee. I usually buy a can of coke when I’m done but feel no obligation to sit in the clubhouse and spend an hour or two and $40 whenever I play golf.
    I usually sit in the club afterwards for an hour and have a couple Soda waters . But to me you have done good , just going in for one coffee or soft drink is all anyone should do maybe buy a couple raffle tickets if there is something going . It’s the guys who give you their card at the back of the 18th and ask you to submit it cause they aren’t going in who annoy me .

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    I usually sit in the club afterwards for an hour and have a couple Soda waters . But to me you have done good , just going in for one coffee or soft drink is all anyone should do maybe buy a couple raffle tickets if there is something going . It’s the guys who give you their card at the back of the 18th and ask you to submit it cause they aren’t going in who annoy me .
    Rubbish. It’s up to the club to give their members a reason to use the facilities. The notion that someone pays $1500 (or whatever) a year to join a club and then for some reason still owes the club something is way off the mark.
    Forum needs more banter.

Thread Information