Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Windsor is good value at $150, but you have to be under 50 for that fee.

If a club lets visitors play, can’t see why a visitor would be treated differently to any other human. 6 hours away from home doesn’t make me want to spend too much time supporting the club afterwards.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    Whilst I can see Dotty’s point to a degree, his numbers about what a member spends on top of his subs is way off the mark. He hasn’t taken into account all of the car park members who never see the inside of the clubhouse! At our club I would suggest that that figure could be as high as 50%! That’s what is sending clubs broke.
    They aren't sending my club broke.

Whether you drink zero schooners or ten, after wages and other costs, food and bev makes little or no difference to the bottom line.

Few different models out there Steve.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Rubbish. It’s up to the club to give their members a reason to use the facilities. The notion that someone pays $1500 (or whatever) a year to join a club and then for some reason still owes the club something is way off the mark.
    The idea that paying your membership is all you need to do is rubbish . The idea for going in for at least one drink has not a lot to do with bottom lines it is to do with friendship mateship and club spirit . A club very near to mine has a good clubhouse more members and less golf course to look after and is in trouble —lots of car park golfers - clubhouse is empty Saturday’s . If a carpark member won’t support his club when he is there my bet is he is unlikely to support it at other times . I also think that clubs have to do more and need to look for other revenue streams

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Rubbish. It’s up to the club to give their members a reason to use the facilities. The notion that someone pays $1500 (or whatever) a year to join a club and then for some reason still owes the club something is way off the mark.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    The idea that paying your membership is all you need to do is rubbish . The idea for going in for at least one drink has not a lot to do with bottom lines it is to do with friendship mateship and club spirit . A club very near to mine has a good clubhouse more members and less golf course to look after and is in trouble —lots of car park golfers - clubhouse is empty Saturday’s . If a carpark member won’t support his club when he is there my bet is he is unlikely to support it at other times . I also think that clubs have to do more and need to look for other revenue streams
    Clueless.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Any club with half a brain charge a F&B levy. People who use the clubhouse are just prepaying their bar and those who don’t pay the levy and forego the cash. But the onus will always be on the club to provide a product that people want to use. If a large percentage don’t then they should take a good look in the mirror
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    . Clueless.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Grumpy8; 5th May 2019 at 07:07 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

The idea for going in for at least one drink has not a lot to do with bottom lines

A club very near to mine has a good clubhouse more members and less golf course to look after and is in trouble —lots of car park golfers - clubhouse is empty Saturday’s .
    I’ll just leave this here.

Any club with half a brain charge a F&B levy. People who use the clubhouse are just prepaying their bar and those who don’t pay the levy and forego the cash. But the onus will always be on the club to provide a product that people want to use. If a large percentage don’t then they should take a good look in the mirror
    Curious to know , bar levy doesn’t worry me cause I would spend it as I go in after a game ,but does it , upset the carpark golfer ? Cause whinging from the pensioner tight budget types ? Is there a loss of members if a competitor doesn’t have it ? My club has leased the bar / dining room , and the pro shop for that matter

Curious to know , bar levy doesn’t worry me cause I would spend it as I go in after a game ,but does it , upset the carpark golfer ? Cause whinging from the pensioner tight budget types ? Is there a loss of members if a competitor doesn’t have it ? My club has leased the bar / dining room , and the pro shop for that matter
    It’s an extremely common practice. Curious - if your club had leased F&B operations how does it help the club if people hang around? Just so the contractor makes profit?
    Forum needs more banter.

I go into the club after a round more often then not, but there is no way I feel obligated to do so especially not for friendship etc. after spending 4+ hours walking around the course with a group of guys.There are heaps of other ways you can support your club such as serving on a committee, working bee, paying your subs on time etc etc.As for the point about allowing country members, if a club can afford to knock back the potential $$$ then that is their prerogative. It’s not an issue that effects me as you have to be a guest of a member to play in the comps anyway.

It’s an extremely common practice. Curious - if your club had leased F&B operations how does it help the club if people hang around? Just so the contractor makes profit?
    The staying for a drink is friendliness / spirit/ support thing plus a use it or loose it thing He keeps the doors open 10 to 6 ,7 days , lunch / snacks are available comp days . He does ok with dinners and weddings but he isn’t driving the latest merc , the lease is paid on time tho . I believe the club was struggling with f & b when this decision was made and I think the wages would be a struggle for the club now . Going in for a drink has always been apart of my golfing and I won’t and didn’t join a club that has lots of carparkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    I go into the club after a round more often then not, but there is no way I feel obligated to do so especially not for friendship etc. after spending 4+ hours walking around the course with a group of guys.There are heaps of other ways you can support your club such as serving on a committee, working bee, paying your subs on time etc etc.As for the point about allowing country members, if a club can afford to knock back the potential $$$ then that is their prerogative. It’s not an issue that effects me as you have to be a guest of a member to play in the comps anyway.
    You shouldn’t feel obligated to , you should want too , agree there are lots of ways too support a club unfortunately some don’t do any ways . Probably be a great club if most did one of the ways . Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Sydney clubs had mid week open comps where anyone could get a game and sydneysiders were joining Howlong and playing in those comps regularly thus avoiding high memberships . Clubs making that difficult is ok with me .

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The term carparkers seems a little insulting, and I didn't realise that you were meant to pay more than your membership fee, by using the clubhouse, to be considered a "real" member.

Golf is so progressive, isn't it?

I keep invitng this carpark scum to my club, soon as the round is finished they have all dropped some lame excuse and burn rubber.
    "Got to get an earlier flight"
    "Busy day with the family"
    "Friends visiting from interstate"
    OZgolf is full of them!😀

Jono I know you're thinking they all left cause you are a di.k.

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Sydney clubs had mid week open comps where anyone could get a game and sydneysiders were joining Howlong and playing in those comps regularly thus avoiding high memberships . Clubs making that difficult is ok with me .
    Not all clubs, I am at a private club that doesn’t have open comps (similar to Dotty’s previous club).

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    The term carparkers seems a little insulting, and I didn't realise that you were meant to pay more than your membership fee, by using the clubhouse, to be considered a "real" member.

Golf is so progressive, isn't it?
    I'd not heard the term until I came across golf forums.

My assessment is that it appears to be used by blokes who wrongly think that by having numerous schooners and a plate of chips they are somehow making a bigger contribution to the clubs bottom line (they aren't) and hence they can look down their nose at those who don't.

Seems to me that golf clubs fail on "big" clubhouse models that work better in the US, chasing other revenue streams (that frankly don't exist or are temporary), increased staff costs and making promises on member services they can't deliver.

Next time a bloke says, I won't come in, I've gotta get home, just thank him for paying his fees. Golf clubs like mine actually survive on not only guys like him but also those who pay their fees and never play.
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 6th May 2019 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    I'd not heard the term until I came across golf forums. My assessment is that it appears to be used by blokes who wrongly think that by having numerous schooners and a plate of chips they are somehow making a bigger contribution to the clubs bottom line (they aren't) and hence they can look down their nose at those who don't.Seems to me that golf clubs fail on "big" clubhouse models that work better in the US, chasing other revenue streams (that frankly don't exist or are temporary), increased staff costs and making promises on member services they can't deliver.Next time a bloke says, I won't come in, I've gotta get home, just thank him for paying his fees. Golf clubs like mine actually survive on not only guys like him but also those who pay their fees and never play.
    Potentially that attitude may have come from clubs with Pokies in the past? Guys would go in for beers and a punt and then the gaming + f&b revenue would have been significant.Between the booze bus and the down turn in pokies (unless you are a behemoth club) the money that was made in those areas are a lot less these days.

Blog Entries

If I stay back now, it is approx. $12 spent on two beers (or coffee and small meal). Work calls and extra travel time after late games may prevent this.

If I leave after golf, then my car space can be used by a family of four to visit the playground, petting zoo or kid's birthday party and spend three to five times that amount.

When I first saw the queue of cars parked down the driveway at midday Sunday, I thought there had been an accident blocking the carpark entry.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    If I stay back now, it is approx. $12 spent on two beers (or coffee and small meal). Work calls and extra travel time after late games may prevent this.If I leave after golf, then my car space can be used by a family of four to visit the playground, petting zoo or kid's birthday party and spend three to five times that amount.When I first saw the queue of cars parked down the driveway at midday Sunday, I thought there had been an accident blocking the carpark entry.
    What’s the latest with your old club Dotty? Things are sounding quite grim.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    What’s the latest with your old club Dotty? Things are sounding quite grim.
    I don't know, other than changes to the board and the project management of the ongoing clubhouse renovations.

I made a clean break 12 months ago, after too many years of going through very similar within my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    I don't know, other than changes to the board and the project management of the ongoing clubhouse renovations.I made a clean break 12 months ago, after too many years of going through very similar within my family.
    Where are you at now?

The ultimate judge of your swing is the flight of the ball. Ben Hogan

Exotics 9.5* XCG7 Beta- Titleist 913H 17* & 21* Hybrid - Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW - Miura 56* & 60* - Lajosi Putter

Henbury golf course Kandos N.S.W. south east of mudgee I think is $275 full memership $200 full membership for pensioners ,Golf cart $35 per 18 holes . Motel on the course . If you contact Fairways motel at Kandos , They have packages . But you can call the club . look at the web site for Henbury Golf Course. They area real friendly and welcoming bunch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Where are you at now?
    Lynwood.

It's changed a bit since Castle Hill RSL became involved, as they removed the proshop and locker rooms from the club house, to become a golfers bar and gaming area. 8th and 9th had a major redesign, otherwise the course is basically the same.

Do still live out that way?

Dotty, last I heard about PH (and I say this third hand albeit I have seen some correspondence to members) was that its almost a case study in board errors combined with some bad luck.

Changed the membership model (less revenue), big overrun in clubhouse renovation (not doubt chasing the mythical function/wedding revenue), members out the door in droves.

If you are involved on club boards, Podcast 133 (Cal Club) is a good listen https://thefriedegg.com/category/podcasts/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Dotty, last I heard about PH (and I say this third hand albeit I have seen some correspondence to members) was that its almost a case study in board errors combined with some bad luck.

Changed the membership model (less revenue), big overrun in clubhouse renovation (not doubt chasing the mythical function/wedding revenue), members out the door in droves.

If you are involved on club boards, Podcast 133 (Cal Club) is a good listen https://thefriedegg.com/category/podcasts/
    That's the recent decisions, trying to make up for their re-alignment to the money'ed clubs to the east (away from the Hills District 'stigma') around Y2K. It took the board's focus away from why the typical member joined the club in the first place, and this grew wider as the long-time members and spirit of the club stopped playing or passed away.

When I joined, dozens of older members would watch/caddy for the pennant, Eric Appley matches, champs, etc. Now, the board has 'representative' matches for their peers scheduled at the same time, so they can play good courses and have good meals/drinks/shirts, all at the member's expense. Don't get me started on the Trackman purchased with members funds, that can only be used on the same fairway as those playing eighteen holes.

Thread Information