Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best GPS unit

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Best GPS unit

Gents,

What do those of you who prefer a GPS unit over a rangefinder think is the best GPS unit on the market at the moment? My Bushnell Neo + is coming to the end of its life and will need replacing soon. The Neo + is awesome, simple and effective. I’ve had rangefinders, including the awesome Bushnell Hybrid, but I get away without really needing a rangefinder these days. With a GPS I can just quickly reference it for distance, then put it back in my back pocket and carry on with my pre-shot routine. I don’t wear a watch, so I’m hesitant to buy a watch GPS, even if it’d probably be more convenient. Thanks golf cognoscenti. I appreciate your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Gents,

What do those of you who prefer a GPS unit over a rangefinder think is the best GPS unit on the market at the moment? My Bushnell Neo + is coming to the end of its life and will need replacing soon. The Neo + is awesome, simple and effective. I’ve had rangefinders, including the awesome Bushnell Hybrid, but I get away without really needing a rangefinder these days. With a GPS I can just quickly reference it for distance, then put it back in my back pocket and carry on with my pre-shot routine. I don’t wear a watch, so I’m hesitant to buy a watch GPS, even if it’d probably be more convenient. Thanks golf cognoscenti. I appreciate your feedback.
    I bought a Bushnell phantom to replace my neo + which recently died. Happy with it, nice big numbers too.

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    I bought a Bushnell phantom to replace my neo + which recently died. Happy with it, nice big numbers too.
    Thanks mate. The Phantom looks pretty rad.How strong do you find the magnet? Do you put the clip on it and wear it on your belt or something? Just thinking about the best way to carry it while ensuring it doesn’t disappear on me. As I carry my clubs these days I’d probably just keep it in my pocket I guess. The built-in magnet is a cool feature.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Thanks mate. The Phantom looks pretty rad.How strong do you find the magnet? Do you put the clip on it and wear it on your belt or something? Just thinking about the best way to carry it while ensuring it doesn’t disappear on me. As I carry my clubs these days I’d probably just keep it in my pocket I guess. The built-in magnet is a cool feature.
    The magnet is fine for normal use. A bump will knock the unit off but just walking round is no problem.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I am liking the look of the new Garmin S40, cheaper than the S60 but seems to do just about the same job.

I am keeping an eye out for when Golfbox or someone starts to stock them.
    G/L

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Not that a play much, so take my opinion with a grain of salt! I never ever used to wear a watch during golf, and never for sport. And generally never during the day either.

Got into it with the running, and then my last watch had very basic golf features; pretty much just distance to doglegs, hazards, front centre back of green. No images, just the distances. Found that enough to not get into analysis paralysis. Just bought a vivoactive 3 which is smaller than my old Fenix 3 and I barely feel like I'm wearing it. I haven't played good with it, bit it seems like it will be pretty easy to use, and no having to get anything out of the bag. And accurate enough for my golfing abilities!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by damoocow View Post
    I had a cheap gps think it was the neo , forgot to take it out of my pocket and it went through the washing machine , doesn’t work so well now

Golfbuddy PT4 as the screen is large so I can see the numbers and 36 holes from a single charge.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

My Neo is nearly dead as well. Full charge barely lasts a round.

Just out of curiosity, are you allowed to use a GPS app on your iPhone (eg Golfshot) during a comp round?

I think you can , issue was the compass in the phone , wind speed direction type help you can get from a phone . I think if all that is turned off and it’s just a distance measuring device it’s ok . Happy to be corrected tho .

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    My Neo is nearly dead as well. Full charge barely lasts a round.

Just out of curiosity, are you allowed to use a GPS app on your iPhone (eg Golfshot) during a comp round?
    Yep, see this article by Frank Gal, who is an Aussie (golf) Rules Guru;

https://www.insidegolf.com.au/rules/...n-smartphones/

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Also have the Phantom. Awesome little unit that does the job simply and accurately. You get the Bushnell app with it which is handy to see the hole overview and different distances when needed.

Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

Just got the Garmin x 40. It’s a combined heart monitor, golf gps and watch. Takes sms messages and has all the functions of a fit bit, plus looks more stylish than a clunky watch. Delivered in three days by golfbox. Very happy.

Thread Information