Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default Losing motivation

Finding it hard to keep motivated for golf,I might blame the Vic Champs,maybe even Barnbougle.3 rounds of pennants and I probably think more about wanting to go back and play Dunes and lost farm than my next opponent for pennant.Feel like I am losing the competitive drive,I just want to play golf and work on my cap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Mark your golf with a smiley face.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Finding it hard to keep motivated for golf,I might blame the Vic Champs,maybe even Barnbougle.3 rounds of pennants and I probably think more about wanting to go back and play Dunes and lost farm than my next opponent for pennant.Feel like I am losing the competitive drive,I just want to play golf and work on my cap.Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I came home from Tassie with a bung elbow and knee. I didnt want to play any more. Then 2 or so weeks ago I played with my mates, had a couple of beers, laughed at all the stupid shit and golf was fun again. This week I am excited. Royal Canberra, then a round with Monstra, Jerry Springer and SMS. Fun is back.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Joe my only advice is to roll with it, if its the competitive side that isn’t giving you the enjoyment it once was focus on what is giving you the motivation to play.

For me it’s more the joy of being out there with mates having a good time, hitting good shots, getting 4-5hrs without having to think about anything but the shot you’re trying to hit.

Once I embraced that idea, every time I slung my bag over my shoulder was a joyful experience.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Drink beer

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Finding it hard to keep motivated for golf,I might blame the Vic Champs,maybe even Barnbougle.3 rounds of pennants and I probably think more about wanting to go back and play Dunes and lost farm than my next opponent for pennant.Feel like I am losing the competitive drive,I just want to play golf and work on my cap.Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I am itching to play but can’t , set your self some goals and make a plan on how to achieve them .also go play a few fun/social rounds

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Drink beer
    Mmmm, beer!

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Is this major pennant that's getting you down?
    i.e. The best 7 players in your club playing the best 7 players of another club.

Or is it some mickey mouse matchplay event, determined by handicap or age, that is pretending to be important?
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Give pennant the flick after this year - play for the love of the game, not just to beat some handicapped player each week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Is this major pennant that's getting you down?
    i.e. The best 7 players in your club playing the best 7 players of another club.

Or is it some mickey mouse matchplay event, determined by handicap or age, that is pretending to be important?
    That latter.Div 4The team captain gets pretty into it,I reckon I just prefer to play golf and when someone asks for a side bet then let's go.Another thing that has me down on pennant a bit,we have played 3 matches,2 of those matches I was on the course for 5 1/2 hrs.TO BLOODY SLOW.Why can't we just play ready golf and get on with it.No,not your turn,who is further away,can I wipe the mud from my ball,is this 50foot gum tree staked,can I get relief from a tree root, hit it into the shit,no I think I will go look for it and then when I can't find it,walk back and hit another even though it is a par 3 and the first was clearly gone.Bloody rules police

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Give pennant the flick after this year - play for the love of the game, not just to beat some handicapped player each week.
    I play it because it gives me a chance to play other courses and meet new people,and haven't met a cockhead yet.Rules,rules,rules,take it in turn.Not having fun

I play it because it gives me a chance to play other courses and meet new people,and haven't met a cockhead yet.Rules,rules,rules,take it in turn.Not having funSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Go to Huonville
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Go to Huonville
    I would pack a 12guage for my 15th club

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Go to Huonville
    Dover gc

Member Club Champion

Just get out there and enjoy the nice weather while we have it down in Victoria. Going to be plenty of rounds over winter when you get home after an awful round, questioning why you played in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Just get out there and enjoy the nice weather while we have it down in Victoria. Going to be plenty of rounds over winter when you get home after an awful round, questioning why you played in the first place.
    Did that today,good group and had fun.I was pretty relaxed and played better than expected.Club golf seems to be where it is for me.Playing Ringwood away tomorrow,going in confident and looking to play smart

Blog Entries

I, like you, was struggling to enjoy golf.

Late arvo, twilight rounds with a half set and the dog tagging along have reinvigorated me and I've actually (I think and hope) fixed a long standing issue that has me actually chipping and pitching the ball like a normal human.

Completely lost interest in the game giving away my membership, a strong point to give away was the fact I couldn't manage to get anywhere near my hcp for
    well over 12 months. This plus paying over $2000 a year which pays for flights to Asia twice a year which I enjoy more.
    Just play the stuff around social rounds, approx. once a month, and starting to enjoy it a bit more now.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by wazamac View Post
    Completely lost interest in the game giving away my membership, a strong point to give away was the fact I couldn't manage to get anywhere near my hcp forwell over 12 months. This plus paying over $2000 a year which pays for flights to Asia twice a year which I enjoy more.Just play the stuff around social rounds, approx. once a month, and starting to enjoy it a bit more now.
    I think this is the way to go if the passion for the game is gone. It’s a game in the end and should never be a chore or a burden. I gave away the game for 4 years after my shoulder surgery and didn’t miss it. Having said that, my love of this game is at an all time high and Tiger’s win has only sparked my enthusiasm even more.

Yes, very true.
    Last time I lost the passion I just walked away for a few years not playing a game, and not missing it at all.
    This time I just ended my membership, sold 85% of all my equipment, clubs and club making stuff, and just left myself with 1 other set of irons which I may still sell may regular gamers.
    Only thing I may buy for golf in the future would be a hybrid.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Drink beer
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Had an early finish today,so ventured out to the course and just played.I played a scoring ball,but also dropped balls as I went around to play different shots.No distractions,no fuss,no traffic,I almost had the course to myself.I saw probably 3 other people on the course,no pressure to keep moving so I took advantage and slow played and took it all in.
    When dropping an extra ball,I would try to play a shot that I would never consider.On the first I dropped 1 in the middle of the fairway 175m out and hit a 6 iron that I closed the face on and try to get it to release and run up onto the green,and it almost made it to.Dropped a ball on the 3rd 25m short of the green and putted it on,I would always 8 iron run that shot.And so on.As for the scoring ball,it had a couple of birdies and a bunch of pars.Something still not right with my putting,cost me 2 birdies from inside 6 feet.Had an eagle putt on the 3rd,left it 3 inches short from back of green uphill.
    Certainly preferred a social round to that of pennant

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

Can relate to a lot of this.

Don't enjoy my golf of late. Like the people I play with but just do not want to play a competition round. No fun being off "2" and not breaking 80. No desire to practice any more. Was on the range a few weeks ago and had a "what am I even doing here" moment after a few shanks.

Will either give the lot away at end of June (looking very likely) and play socially a few times a year or will restrict to 12 games a year at the course with a social membership with 0 comp rounds.

There's a lot more to life than chopping it I've found.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    Can relate to a lot of this.

Don't enjoy my golf of late. Like the people I play with but just do not want to play a competition round. No fun being off "2" and not breaking 80. No desire to practice any more. Was on the range a few weeks ago and had a "what am I even doing here" moment after a few shanks.

Will either give the lot away at end of June (looking very likely) and play socially a few times a year or will restrict to 12 games a year at the course with a social membership with 0 comp rounds.

There's a lot more to life than chopping it I've found.
    Feeling similar, had a run of great golf for me early this year which got me down to 2.0, then for the last 7 rounds not one that is flagged for handicap, last round was 27 points. I keep tossing up between having a break and doubling down to work harder.

Worst thing is we are right in the middle of Open season then into pennant so it should be the most motivating part of the year!

I hear u guys bemoaning the lack of motivation, be happy you can walk the course and swing the club, the alternative is certainly far worse.

Thread Information