Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pennant(s) 2019

Senior Member Major Winner

Finally got my first win as (unofficial) team captain, taking out the previously undefeated Warrnambool 6-1.

Played solid, 3 birdies, 5 bogies, 8 pars for a 4/2 win over their current club champ.

Club needs a mathematical miracle to make the finals despite having won the most amount of individual matches, final week next week, but I won't be playing as my ankle surgery is Wednesday, so stiff noogies.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    I think I would take up bowls if I lost a pennant match after being 5 up after 5! You may have destroyed this guys golfing life Oki. 浪
    haha... I hope not.... super nice guy i played against....
    he was deadly with his chipping on the first 9.... and anything within 1.5m was nearly a gimmer for him;

on the 15 and 16, he pulled his drive to the left behind some trees that pretty much gave me the holes;
    the 17th, both of us hit the perfect drive but I had 20m ahead of him; his 2nd went short while I got lucky with a thin 8i from 135m uphill which managed to land a sat 1m next to the pin for a birdie

the 18th par 5 was a disaster start for me. after 6 perfect drive, I pulled my shot left and hit the tree directly, and bounced just after the ladies tee box. He drove dead center.
    I took a 4 wood and landed 210m away from hole for a slight downhill green shot with a pond on the right. Not sure what happened but he took an iron shot to lay up from 250m and went right and hit a tree.
    I took the 4w again to attack the green, went left, hit tree and drop right down at 65m; he took a wood; hit the perfect looking shot, ball had a fade towards the green, but the ball suddenly drop down and went into lake.
    I took a 60wedge and landed behind the pin about 2m away, he took a drop, fluffed his chip short, then chipped on.
    I was 4 on, and he was 7 and still pretty far away from the hole. so he conceded....

edit: hmmm... counting again it seems like he was 6 on, but he said he was 7; so not sure where the extra stroke came from... unless he had to chip out after his 2nd shot behind a tree

Got pretty lucky on the last hole to get the W.
    Last edited by okitoki; 29th April 2019 at 10:03 AM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Last round today and we got smacked.I came in with a half,as well as my playing partner,but the rest of the team suffered losses.So once again we will be going nowhere after finishing in 3rd place.I am pretty happy with the season being over now,unfortunately in such a small club it is hard to find willing participants.If anyone on here is looking to play pennant with a good bunch and lives close enough to Beaconsfield Victoria,then maybe consider Olinda.For just $100 a year membership it is pretty cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Good day today. Played a young fella that hits well but overly aggressive with his putting on a fast green.

Took the game at 4&3.

Team drew 3.5 points today.

Last game next week.

last game of the season for us yesterday;
    Played against a guy who hasnt lost a game yet.... tough match for me even when i had 6 strokes from him. (he was 7, I was 13)
    playing with a sore back and neck didnt help my long game, but sure did wonder for my short game; most of them were 1 chip 1 putt... but pity it took 3 shots to get there in the first place
    However, as much as I played sheet, the guy was cool as cucumber and even when he messes up, his recovery shots are just amazing to watch; Went down 5&4, but could have been worst if he sunk a few of his 5 ft putts

Team won 4 to 3; The team we played had a chance to go to the final, but we knocked them off
    Finished the season with 3 loses, 2 wins and 1 half.... experience as a 1st player was good; and its tough to play against good single handicap players, where you can see their games are so consistent (instead of relying on raw distance power, but it does help)

Cant wait till next year

Member Trainee Pro

Made a guest appearance in Div 6 at Royal Perth in my only game for this years comp

Played No. 1 - off 8 and had to give 3 shots

5 over through 16 holes for a 4 & 2 win.

Magnificent weather low 20's and light to no wind with Royal Perth in the condition you would expect

Team 6/1 winners but finished in the lower half of the table , with finals starting next week

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    I was told to play the course not the man when playing matchplay

If playing the course is good advice, what do you do if your opponent hits first, and goes out of bounds. Do you play the course now?
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    If playing the course is good advice, what do you do if your opponent hits first, and goes out of bounds. Do you play the course now?
    Spot on MTB, never know where these supposed "truisms" come from.

1 down playing the last, opponent in for a par, think I will dribble my putt up and make a safe par for a loss. Nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Bored are we ???

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Spot on MTB, never know where these supposed "truisms" come from. 1 down playing the last, opponent in for a par, think I will dribble my putt up and make a safe par for a loss. Nonsensical.
    If you had played the course properly and kept an eye on your opponent you wouldn’t be one down on 18

If you had played the course properly and kept an eye on your opponent you wouldn’t be one down on 18
    Unless of course your opponent had just played better then you up onto that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    Unless of course your opponent had just played better then you up onto that point.
    Wouldn’t the match be over before the 18 th in that scenario.

Wouldn’t the match be over before the 18 th in that scenario.
    Not at all.

Not at all.
    Think so , 1 up on 18 th isn’t playing better than you necessarily is just sinking one putt more or one lucky bounce

Think so , 1 up on 18 th isn’t playing better than you necessarily is just sinking one putt more or one lucky bounce
    But what if he played far better than you and got unlucky bounces?

I would know...
    GolfMap

Potentially not, but your statement was that if you play the course well and keep your eye on your opponent you will win.I lost a pennant match where I had 14 pars and 4 bogeys to a guy who had 6 birds a few pars and the rest doubles or worse. Pretty sure I suit the better score, but he beat me in the format we were playing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    But what if he played far better than you and got unlucky bounces? I would know...
    Good players make their own luck , so I been told

Potentially not, but your statement was that if you play the course well and keep your eye on your opponent you will win.I lost a pennant match where I had 14 pars and 4 bogeys to a guy who had 6 birds a few pars and the rest doubles or worse. Pretty sure I suit the better score, but he beat me in the format we were playing.
    Shite happens sometimes, can’t be helped when a bandit has s day outPretty sure I didn’t say you would win , but by all means go back thru and quote me , think I just said I was told to play the course as mtb so kindly dredged up , and that was meant more as advice on how to play matchplay
    Last edited by Grumpy8; 23rd May 2019 at 05:36 PM.

Good players make their own luck , so I been told
    Not always true. Some players are good BECAUSE of their Canluck.
    GolfMap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Not always true. Some players are good BECAUSE of their Canluck.

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
    4 lyf!!!
    GolfMap

Grumpy, have you learnt arguing via my ex where you win if you circle back to your original point which made no sense at the start?

always cracks me up watching some matches, where both players have putted out and from a distance you can tell, neither player has a clue what the other has scored.
    The both start adding up with their own fingers, needing two hands of course, come up with the scores, compare, nod, and walk off the green.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Grumpy, have you learnt arguing via my ex where you win if you circle back to your original point which made no sense at the start?
    Well Perry if I was a card carrying member of the Izzy fan club I would have a lot of repenting to do but I don’t remember a mrs groves . If playing the course and keeping an eye on your opponent isn’t the way to go what is ??? I have a handicap matchplay tomorrow and in all seriousness I want advice . I have to give the bandit 13 shots minimum, same as first round , he has seen off a member of the scratch pennant team , he is in a cart so not going to tire or get wet ( he is younger and fitter ) , he is loud , talks a lot , and seems to be in pretty good form for a c grader . Me I have struggled to break 90 of later , have the chipping horrors , am 3 putting too often and in their wisdom greenkeepers slowed the greens down this week ( I hate slow greens ) . I won round 1 by playing steady par / odd bogey golf and kept the pressure on my opponent who finally cracked on last few holes . Staying in bed and forfeiting is being seriously considered , serious sensible advice will be given consideration

Well Perry if I was a card carrying member of the Izzy fan club I would have a lot of repenting to do but I don’t remember a mrs groves . If playing the course and keeping an eye on your opponent isn’t the way to go what is ??? I have a handicap matchplay tomorrow and in all seriousness I want advice . I have to give the bandit 13 shots minimum, same as first round , he has seen off a member of the scratch pennant team , he is in a cart so not going to tire or get wet ( he is younger and fitter ) , he is loud , talks a lot , and seems to be in pretty good form for a c grader . Me I have struggled to break 90 of later , have the chipping horrors , am 3 putting too often and in their wisdom greenkeepers slowed the greens down this week ( I hate slow greens ) . I won round 1 by playing steady par / odd bogey golf and kept the pressure on my opponent who finally cracked on last few holes . Staying in bed and forfeiting is being seriously considered , serious sensible advice will be given consideration
    Just play your own game, each shot at a time on it's merit.
    Don't obsess over what your opponent is scoring and get consumed by thinking I need to have 2 less to win the hole because you have to give away a shot.
    He has the higher handicap he does for a reason a hopefully hes plying over that and your near yours.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Thread Information