Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Pennant(s) 2019

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    Genuine question: Is it commonplace for 10% of a Saturday comp's tee spots to be reserved for Pennant practice?
    I have been involved in that a lot - but 10%? oh yeah, in Brisbane the team is 5 senior, 5 junior and 11(?) open. thats only 5 slots, unless there is a lot of others trying out.

but like you also said, the most of the players are already in the field anyway, they just do this to get them grouped together. its not as if anyones missing out on a time, unless thats their pet time
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    I have been involved in that a lot - but 10%? oh yeah, in Brisbane the team is 5 senior, 5 junior and 11(?) open. thats only 5 slots, unless there is a lot of others trying out.
    I think you are actually correct. I believe it was 5 slots, not 6, even if your numbers there add up to more than 5 slots. Still very close to 10% of the field however.

its not as if anyones missing out on a time, unless thats their pet time
    I did and I don't have a pet time. Although I am not whinging about that in particular; just questioning something I hadn't seen before. I fully expect to get a random spot somewhere on the day, particularly considering the weather forecast.

The other thing that makes it odd (and I also haven't seen before) is that we now have new rules in place that no Saturday bookings can be removed after Thursday. If you do so you get a letter and a week's suspension.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Blakey you live for all that 20 cent sandies, 3 putts and such. Finding players who are interested in that shite is your challenge.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    I've never seen it before. I would have thought that the practice would be on Sundays, since that is when pennant is played. The Virginia guys were having a practice session at Jindalee on the Sunday just gone.
    We (Jindalee) has a practice round at Virginia at the same time. Unfortunately for them, the round they had won’t help, our greens keeper is pretty damn good now and he’s planning on playing a few games with them.
    TM R1 - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TXTaylor Made 200 Tour 15 Prolite 35X Taylor Made 300Forged 2 Iron Rifle 6.0 Nike Victory Red TW 3-PW Project X 6.0 Nike VR 52°, Vokey SM7 58/12Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5/ Prototype Cameron Long Neck

The other thing that makes it odd (and I also haven't seen before) is that we now have new rules in place that no Saturday bookings can be removed after Thursday. If you do so you get a letter and a week's suspension.
    Thats a first!
    i guess the time sheet is full several days out, but come saturday heaps of cancellations that don't get filled. Pretty drastic, but if its a big problem probably a good idea
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Blakey you live for all that 20 cent sandies, 3 putts and such. Finding players who are interested in that shite is your challenge.
    haha, well at least it means you read it. Its a good start.
    --
    Handy-Cap

Thats a first!
    i guess the time sheet is full several days out, but come saturday heaps of cancellations that don't get filled. Pretty drastic, but if its a big problem probably a good idea
    I ended up getting a game on Saturday (of course). Just checked the full report of the day and there was a field of 166 from of a 'fully-booked' 240.

I look forward to hearing about the 74 letters they will be sending out.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I ended up getting a game on Saturday (of course). Just checked the full report of the day and there was a field of 166 from of a 'fully-booked' 240.

I look forward to hearing about the 74 letters they will be sending out.
    Surely there should be leeway given the weather yesterday

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    You would think so. I know I pulled the pin mid morning, and in hindsight it was the right decision because it scudded all afternoon and less than a 3rd of the original field ended up playing in the slush.

However, I have heard that Reddie Bay has a similar issue with regular last minute pull outs from prime positions on the tee sheet. Reddie Bay tee sheets don't fill completely very often though, but the afternoon field is usually solidly booked a week out.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I ended up getting a game on Saturday (of course). Just checked the full report of the day and there was a field of 166 from of a 'fully-booked' 240.I look forward to hearing about the 74 letters they will be sending out.
    Think this is a problem at a lot of clubs , one guy books his four in not knowing if they are all playing, others booking in the second it opens to get there favourite time slot even before they are certain of playing , I know of guys who have decided not to play because time sheet is virtually full mid week only to find out that there were heaps of cancellations and no shows . Other guys have been questioned as to why they were a no show and saying they didn’t book in and was never going to play , a mate had booked them in without checking first . I won’t go on a waiting list , just plan to do something else or join a club that I can get a game at

Quote Originally Posted by shazza_rs View Post
    If there is leeway for a bit of rain, then there needs to be leeway for everything. I can't see them sending out 74 letters (which was my point) but I would blow up if I every receive a letter for pulling out for personal reasons.

So far they have said that medical certificates need to be provided to avoid a week's suspension - I do believe you get one warning though. I don't think you can get a medical certificate for rain so if letters aren't sent then these threats completely lose their teeth. I could make the argument that it was too hot to play in the middle of summer, if yesterday was too wet to play.

EDIT: Anyhoo, I am really littering the pennant thread with unrelated conversation now.
    Last edited by henno; 7th July 2019 at 08:52 AM.

Thread Information