Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Pennant(s) 2019

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Sounds like you, except for the ok outside of pennant part...
    Not that it helps him in matchplay
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by sms316 View Post
    Not that it helps him in matchplay
    You are an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    You are an exception.
    That’s what she said
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Lost 5&4 at home today.Could not hole a putt from anywhere,struck driver and irons well.Opponent made 0 mistakes and shot 2 over par

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Member Club Champion

Our scratch side was desperately low on numbers this week and i had to fill in. Got my pants pulled down, losing 6&5 but had a good day. Probably lost it before I teed up today with my nerves.

Made a rule for pennant,. after last week i'll never drive because being sober is boring.

Member Club Champion

My clubs top side lost 3-4 away yesterday where a win (or SQ) would have sewn up a home final. I won my match 3-2 and played very steady. The young guy I played kept grounding his club in "penalty areas". One of my team mates had a caddy with him who told him that's not allowed and it nearly started a punch on. Quite entertaining really.... I was up all day and felt in control so I never bothered pulling him up on it. I figure it'll come back to bite him in the butt someday soon. In fact it's likely we will play them in the final in a few weeks time (providing we hold our final home game next week) so as captain I will tell whoever plays him to watch out for that as it could be a handy "instant win of hole"

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Muscles, you and your tram mates need to brush up on the rules, especially the 2019 changes. And probably apologise to the young bloke you played against yesterday.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Muscles, you and your tram mates need to brush up on the rules, especially the 2019 changes. And probably apologise to the young bloke you played against yesterday.
    He was grounding the club at address behind the ball. It is my understanding that is still illegal. You can ground the club away from the ball but not at address....??

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

No you are wrong (and owe the bloke who was correct an apology).

“A player will be allowed to touch or move loose impediments and touch the ground with hand or club (such as grounding the club right behind the ball) for any reason, subject only to the prohibition on improving conditions for the stroke (see new Rule 8.1a).”

And your team mates caddy, who clearly doesn’t know the rules either, should stfu and stay out of another players match. He has behaved like a total cockhead.

Did the caddy have a carton of Jack Daniels onboard?
    Forum needs more banter.

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    No you are wrong (and owe the bloke who was correct an apology).

“A player will be allowed to touch or move loose impediments and touch the ground with hand or club (such as grounding the club right behind the ball) for any reason, subject only to the prohibition on improving conditions for the stroke (see new Rule 8.1a).”

And your team mates caddy, who clearly doesn’t know the rules either, should stfu and stay out of another players match. He has behaved like a total cockhead.
    I had this exact situation a few years ago and I actually told the caddy to keep his ****ing mouth shut, read a rulebook and have his player bring any future infringements to my attention, not him.

I was actually rattled for a second thinking I'd lost a hole for stupidity before I realised he had no idea what he was talking about.

Nothing worse than a dickhead that doesn't know the rules, yet tries to use them to his advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Muscles View Post
    My clubs top side lost 3-4 away yesterday where a win (or SQ) would have sewn up a home final. I won my match 3-2 and played very steady. The young guy I played kept grounding his club in "penalty areas". One of my team mates had a caddy with him who told him that's not allowed and it nearly started a punch on. Quite entertaining really.... I was up all day and felt in control so I never bothered pulling him up on it. I figure it'll come back to bite him in the butt someday soon. In fact it's likely we will play them in the final in a few weeks time (providing we hold our final home game next week) so as captain I will tell whoever plays him to watch out for that as it could be a handy "instant win of hole"
    What pennant league do you play in?

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    He’s in Division 3 Southern Tasmania pennant. Huon played Tea Tree last weekend. Guessing alcohol was involved. 🙄
    Forum needs more banter.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    If it was Melbourne my bet would be VGL

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muscles View Post
    BTW, You have to beat us this weekend to get to the final...and I think we won 6/1 last time we played! I will admit you guys are tough to beat at home!
    Last edited by petethepilot; 8th April 2019 at 08:24 PM.
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    The blow up on 18 was the last match to finish, a half gave us a win away from home , a win for them got them a half point win at home and is why he did it . I was standing with this guy 30 or 40 mts from the green , our guy had his putt it missed match halved two players shook hands start walking off . Manager turns to me and says to you see and hear that he got advice on the putt ( one of our guys was tending the pin ) I said no as I honestly didn’t and I have good hearing , he runs onto the green yelling at our guys demanding to know if he asked for advice ,our guy wouldn’t answer him I tried to calm him down but he started demanding and swearing, we are talking about 70 yr olds in a Thursday morning comp , eventually our guy said he did . Manager then claimed the hole which gave them a win . He rang a vgl officials and had it confirmed. I know our guy broke a basic rule but the only person concerned about it was this guy his own player didn’t even know what had happened and hadn’t complained and worse still the advice was right and he still didn’t sink the putt . This team only had one win , this one , and finished last , our team beat them six nil at home later in the year and the manager didn’t say a word . I had been roped into managing the team as I was the low marker , I only agreed to do it if I had help because I didn’t have any pennant experience. Obviously I got no help and the president thought the goings on was hilarious, called it pennant gate . Quit the pennant team and the club .A foot note , the guy who gave the advice and should have known better is now a member of Olinda . He was there at my last game with Olinda giving advice to my opponent in matchplay and that advice directly affected my match
    There is multiple things wrong from they way you described it, and I dont have any old rules books to check, but I do assume this is under the old rules.
    1. The match was over.
    2. If one of the players wants to make a claim for a rules breach, he must make it before the players leave the final green.
    3. It seems the manager made the claim, not the player.
    4. your team mate did not admit giving advice, so it was the managers word against him. In the absence of any other corroborating witnesses nor admission from the accused, No qualified rules official would have imposed a penalty based on one persons word/accusation

so the claim was invalid for 4 reasons that I can think of.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    There is multiple things wrong from they way you described it, and I dont have any old rules books to check, but I do assume this is under the old rules.1. The match was over. 2. If one of the players wants to make a claim for a rules breach, he must make it before the players leave the final green.3. It seems the manager made the claim, not the player.4. your team mate did not admit giving advice, so it was the managers word against him. In the absence of any other corroborating witnesses nor admission from the accused, No qualified rules official would have imposed a penalty based on one persons word/accusation so the claim was invalid for 4 reasons that I can think of.
    Exactly why I think VGL officials are muppets, and why I won’t play pennant for Olinda in the vgl district . I had another run in with them over slow play a couple years ago whilst playing in their Medal of the medallist competition , which led to me refusing to represent Olinda in two vgl events last year and is the main reason I won’t be trying to win a monthly medal at olinda nor will I be defending my club championship this year
    Last edited by Grumpy8; 11th April 2019 at 10:24 PM.

Exactly why I think VGL officials are muppets, and why I won’t play pennant for Olinda in the vgl district . I had another run in with them over slow play a couple years ago whilst playing in their Medal of the medallist competition , which led to me refusing to represent Olinda in two vgl events last year and is the main reason I won’t be trying to win a monthly medal at olinda nor will I be defending my club championship this year
    At least you are living up to your name

At least you are living up to your name
    I am , I did my very best to bite my tongue over the slow play incident on course at the time , only because I was representing Olinda . I gave the club no guarantees for any future incidents . I don’t have much patience for muppets masquerading as golf officials

I am , I did my very best to bite my tongue over the slow play incident on course at the time , only because I was representing Olinda . I gave the club no guarantees for any future incidents . I don’t have much patience for muppets masquerading as golf officials
    We just had a cheating incident in one of our matches.

Our guy asked for a rules official; turned out no one from Golf WA wanted to make the long drive so there was nothing our guy could do.

I captained last year and let someone else do it this year.

He’s away this week so, so I’ve been asked to fill in

Naturally one guy (who was going to play #1 this week) throws out his back and another’s confidence is so low, he won’t commit to playing until he gets to hit balls tomorrow. If he says he’s ok, I’m sacrificing him at #1.

Senior Member Major Winner

I think it's funny when sides think they are sacrificing position 1 and the opposing side are doing exactly the same thing.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

what do you mean by sacrificing #1 position?

I've been placed in the #1 in my team, and it feels like a pressure spot? after the first 2 lost I had, felt like I let the team down badly

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    what do you mean by sacrificing #1 position?

I've been placed in the #1 in my team, and it feels like a pressure spot? after the first 2 lost I had, felt like I let the team down badly
    In pennant without handicaps, you'll sometimes face a team with a very strong #1 player or you'll have a player on your team that probably is punching above their weight playing for the team.

In our case, we have a guy that can't break 85 at the moment (lost 7&5 against an average player last week) and if we sub him in, his fill in is a 6 capper who is currently carrying one wedge because he broke two last week and has a bent putter - also from last week. A few anger issues there.

End of the day, neither of those two guys are going to beat anyone on the other team, whose worst player is off about 1 and was playing off +3 last year.

Might as well have them lose to the top player on their side and give everyone else an easier match up "on paper".

It isn't something we do often, but with potentially 3 guys out this week, including our guy that was playing 1 and our #2, who should be playing 1, we are left with a very week back end.

Our #7 is almost 70 and won't win if we bump him up, so we have to slot the fill-in / lack of confidence guy somewhere. That being said, the guy that is low on confidence generally shoots 70-74 or over 80, so he would still be a chance at #1 if he can somehow figure out what's wrong. To put him in perspective, his opening tee shot missed his fairway and the one next to it last week. On the next hole, he landed in the middle of the parallel fairway. He's a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I think it's funny when sides think they are sacrificing position 1 and the opposing side are doing exactly the same thing.
    I too find this amusing.

Exactly why I think VGL officials are muppets,
    to be honest i doubt that, but I also doubt your story is the way the other manager reported it too, maybe he faked the call?
    (not saying you have twisted the story, you may not be privy to all info either)

We just had a cheating incident in one of our matches.
    Our guy asked for a rules official; turned out no one from Golf WA wanted to make the long drive so there was nothing our guy could do.
    Interesting. In Gold Coast pennant, the conditions of competition is that the host club provides match official/referee/starter for the day. I would have assumed this is fairly standard practice.

for your mob, not even wanting to do it by phone is really unusual, especially for cheating. I know many rulings have been made by a player ringing the clubhouse from the course.

Naturally one guy (who was going to play #1 this week) throws out his back and another’s confidence is so low, he won’t commit to playing until he gets to hit balls tomorrow.
    Stuff like this shits me, don't get me started.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Thread Information