Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Pennant(s) 2019

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Its not real pennants remember

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Many years ago, I had to play the A grade final of the Newcastle District golf assoc on

1998 - on a pitch and putt course (8 par 3’s ranging from 65m to 124 metres and a par 4 measuring 235metres)

1999 - in 2’s behind a social club (60 players) where each group had a slab to consume on the way round!

So do you think Pennant mattered outside of the guys actually in the team?

P.S. I have also played Div 1 in melb in front of at least 400 spectators. Never seen more than 10 at any other match since!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 LST 9* Driver with CB55 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    TM Stealth 2 Hybrid with Nemeses 90 M4 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

We play Eastern Sward this season,a 9 hole course that we play twice.They move the tee markers for the second round about 10 metres

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Many years ago, I had to play the A grade final of the Newcastle District golf assoc on

1998 - on a pitch and putt course (8 par 3’s ranging from 65m to 124 metres and a par 4 measuring 235metres)

1999 - in 2’s behind a social club (60 players) where each group had a slab to consume on the way round!

So do you think Pennant mattered outside of the guys actually in the team?

P.S. I have also played Div 1 in melb in front of at least 400 spectators. Never seen more than 10 at any other match since!
    I played a Group 1 match many years ago and I was first off behind a social club who we caught a few holes later.

Their last group was 2 holes behind the ones in front so one of the committee members asked them to speed up.

After a torrent of abuse one if them came at the committee member with his driver, cops were waiting after the 9th and social club banned.

had our 2nd round yesterday at Rockingham.... great day, and the Rockie team we played with was super nice and friendly to play against.... fairway was nice, and the greens were generally pretty lush and true. Gave us a good feed at the end of the day too... Thumbs up to the Rockingham GC

Now the golf side of things was a little average; last week I struggled with my putting; this week was great but the irons were acting up too.... windy condition and high ball flights off the drive just caused me grief at the end....
    So I went down 3 and 2 this week

it's kind of tough to give strokes on par 3s though *slight winge* but nah.... my golf didnt help at all....

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    I played a Group 1 match many years ago and I was first off behind a social club who we caught a few holes later.Their last group was 2 holes behind the ones in front so one of the committee members asked them to speed up.After a torrent of abuse one if them came at the committee member with his driver, cops were waiting after the 9th and social club banned.
    Have only ever played five pennant matches , my fifth and last was a doozy,I won it easily, got told to **** off by their manager after he found out I had won , had him stand on my line for a drive to stop me taking a short cut on a par 5 a couple holes earlier,had him try and claim a forfeit because one of our guys was taking a piss (was next off but not due to go just yet ) before we had started . Had same guy storm onto the 18 th yelling pointing his finger and swearing at one of our team on the 18 th green . Apparently one of our guys asked his teammate which way his putt broke ( still didn’t sink it )which is wrong but the way this guy carried on was unbelievable. He then raised it in the lunch afterward to embarrass and basically accuse us of being cheats . What grade was this ? Seniors midweek , Vgl ,which is below golf Vic pennant. When asked to play pennant now I have two words for them , second one is off .

Unfortunately you meet some real a$$holes playing the various levels of Pennant.

In major pennant years ago I played a guy who is the worst a$$hole I have ever played, one of my drives ended up wedged next to a cement path so I asked if I could have a drop.

"Piss off mate" was the response so I called for the match referee and refused to budge, the guy went ballistic as it took 10 minutes for the referee to arrive and I got a free drop.

Halved the hole which just made it worse, he wouldn't give 6" putts after that.

The cracker was I halved the match with a 30 ft putt on a bumpy temporary green, he refused to shake my hand and stormed off swearing non-stop.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    That's what Grumpy prefers as well.We both got beaten by the same player 2 weeks in a row.He is a 20 handicapper that has a knack of playing good golf when their is something to win.
    If we had a scratch team then I would nominate for that.

Their are a lot of bad stories when it comes to handicap matches and shots.

Jesus, Ned's blown out a bit....
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

I played scratch pennant yesterday, but the golf can only be described as very, VERY handicapped.
    GolfMap

Member Club Champion

I got rolled 2&1 yesterday. Some awful tee shots and poor putting put me on the back foot early. Whenever my opponent actually gave me a window of opportunity I couldn't capitalize either. Team won 4/3 though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    Have only ever played five pennant matches , my fifth and last was a doozy,I won it easily, got told to **** off by their manager after he found out I had won , had him stand on my line for a drive to stop me taking a short cut on a par 5 a couple holes earlier,had him try and claim a forfeit because one of our guys was taking a piss (was next off but not due to go just yet ) before we had started . Had same guy storm onto the 18 th yelling pointing his finger and swearing at one of our team on the 18 th green . Apparently one of our guys asked his teammate which way his putt broke ( still didn’t sink it )which is wrong but the way this guy carried on was unbelievable. He then raised it in the lunch afterward to embarrass and basically accuse us of being cheats . What grade was this ? Seniors midweek , Vgl ,which is below golf Vic pennant. When asked to play pennant now I have two words for them , second one is off .
    Grumpy, I would be in my 40th year of pennant and would have played 250+ matches and never seen stuff you mentioned. If I was your manager, I would have taken the team, walked out of the lunch and reported the days incidents to the VGA. They would have banned them from the comp...or at least their idiot manager! Don’t blame Pennant itself, for a low handicapper, it is the best comp of the year!
    Gamers

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

major pennant years ago I played a guy who is the worst a$$hole I have ever played, one of my drives ended up wedged next to a cement path so I asked if I could have a drop.
    Do not ask, an opponent is not a referee, he has no jurisdiction at all. If the rules of golf entitle you to relief, you take it, you do not even have to inform the opponent. However it makes sense to let him know at the time especially if there could be a grey area (like maybe casual water, maybe not) because his acknowledgement implies consent, he cant later attempt to dispute it.

Simply say "I'm taking relief from the path" and proceed.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Do not ask, an opponent is not a referee, he has no jurisdiction at all. If the rules of golf entitle you to relief, you take it, you do not even have to inform the opponent. However it makes sense to let him know at the time especially if there could be a grey area (like maybe casual water, maybe not) because his acknowledgement implies consent, he cant later attempt to dispute it.Simply say "I'm taking relief from the path" and proceed.
    What if you believe the relief request/advise is dodgy and they just proceed to do it

Grumpy, I would be in my 40th year of pennant and would have played 250+ matches and never seen stuff you mentioned. If I was your manager, I would have taken the team, walked out of the lunch and reported the days incidents to the VGA. They would have banned them from the comp...or at least their idiot manager! Don’t blame Pennant itself, for a low handicapper, it is the best comp of the year!
    Unfortunately it wasn’t vga it was vgl , I tried to take it further but our president thought it was funny , vgl officials wouldn’t act because they had awarded them the match on this managers word without talking to me on the day . It did however blow up a couple weeks later when said manager claimed a walkover on an opponent because he didn’t have his clubs emblem on his shirt , had correct colour but no emblem. Vgl finally stepped in and told him to pull his head in .

Blog Entries

Those sort of thinks need to be sorted at a club level. Your team should refuse to play against said team until it is resolved.

Saying that, no player can receive advice from another team player...is a pretty basic rule! Your best defence against poor decisions is an up to date rule book and a working knowledge of said rules!! I hate pulling rules and will do all possible to advise a player before they break a rule, but some guys won’t help themselves!
    Gamers

Those sort of thinks need to be sorted at a club level. Your team should refuse to play against said team until it is resolved. Saying that, no player can receive advice from another team player...is a pretty basic rule! Your best defence against poor decisions is an up to date rule book and a working knowledge of said rules!! I hate pulling rules and will do all possible to advise a player before they break a rule, but some guys won’t help themselves!
    The blow up on 18 was the last match to finish, a half gave us a win away from home , a win for them got them a half point win at home and is why he did it . I was standing with this guy 30 or 40 mts from the green , our guy had his putt it missed match halved two players shook hands start walking off . Manager turns to me and says to you see and hear that he got advice on the putt ( one of our guys was tending the pin ) I said no as I honestly didn’t and I have good hearing , he runs onto the green yelling at our guys demanding to know if he asked for advice ,our guy wouldn’t answer him I tried to calm him down but he started demanding and swearing, we are talking about 70 yr olds in a Thursday morning comp , eventually our guy said he did . Manager then claimed the hole which gave them a win . He rang a vgl officials and had it confirmed. I know our guy broke a basic rule but the only person concerned about it was this guy his own player didn’t even know what had happened and hadn’t complained and worse still the advice was right and he still didn’t sink the putt . This team only had one win , this one , and finished last , our team beat them six nil at home later in the year and the manager didn’t say a word . I had been roped into managing the team as I was the low marker , I only agreed to do it if I had help because I didn’t have any pennant experience. Obviously I got no help and the president thought the goings on was hilarious, called it pennant gate . Quit the pennant team and the club .A foot note , the guy who gave the advice and should have known better is now a member of Olinda . He was there at my last game with Olinda giving advice to my opponent in matchplay and that advice directly affected my match

Unfortunately you meet some real a$$holes playing the various levels of Pennant.

In major pennant years ago I played a guy who is the worst a$$hole I have ever played, one of my drives ended up wedged next to a cement path so I asked if I could have a drop.

"Piss off mate" was the response so I called for the match referee and refused to budge, the guy went ballistic as it took 10 minutes for the referee to arrive and I got a free drop.

Halved the hole which just made it worse, he wouldn't give 6" putts after that.

The cracker was I halved the match with a 30 ft putt on a bumpy temporary green, he refused to shake my hand and stormed off swearing non-stop.
    I was unfortunate to play against one of these Aholes when I was a Junior playing B Grade Senior Pennant for Berri in the Riverland League.
    Guy wouldn't introduce himself at the start or shake hands. Never said a word or gave a putt even if it was sitting on the edge of the hole and failed to shake hands when the match was over on the 14th and just walked off the course.
    Found out later the guy hated Juniors and had also made a false complaint to my Clubs Captain about my conduct. Luckily I'd been playing Pennant for a number of years and all his false claims could be shot down including members from his own club that vouched they've had issues with him and their own Juniors.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Same pennant as above but the Sunday version , different team ,apparently they held rules meetings for pennant players but instead of discussing the differences between matchplay and stroke play they discussed rules they could invoke to claim holes . One player in particular was well known for asking you to move your marker even when it was only near or close but wasn’t on his line and then claiming the hole if you forgot to replace it properly . Manager of this team was an a’hole as well , tried to intimidate our 14 yr junior , prick waited till match was tight and at back of the course with no one around , tried to claim our guy had improved his lie by kicking out a couple of sticks under his feet , in his stance not behind the ball ,claimed the hole , his own player told him to **** off and to leave the kid alone , young guy went on to win the match

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I was unfortunate to play against one of these Aholes when I was a Junior playing B Grade Senior Pennant for Berri in the Riverland League.
    Guy wouldn't introduce himself at the start or shake hands. Never said a word or gave a putt even if it was sitting on the edge of the hole and failed to shake hands when the match was over on the 14th and just walked off the course.
    Found out later the guy hated Juniors and had also made a false complaint to my Clubs Captain about my conduct. Luckily I'd been playing Pennant for a number of years and all his false claims could be shot down including members from his own club that vouched they've had issues with him and their own Juniors.
    I played that guy a couple years ago!

I knew he was a c*nt so I went out of my way to be nice. Walked over, said his name loudly and introduced myself.

Said nothing all match. I holed out from 120m, nothing.

I ended up winning the final 4 holes to win 1up.

On the last green I conceded his putt and he wouldn’t tell me what he was in for.

Even though I knew , I waited until another one of his team members confirmed his score for me before I putt. I had 3 putts from 15 feet for the win. Knocked it to a foot and a half and still nothing. Lined up that putt from all angles just to be a dick in return.

No handshakes were exchanged as he was gone as soon as the putt dropped.

Saw him again this year.

Walked over, loudly said his name and gave the big handshake.

Nothing in return.

We had an incident on the weekend where one of our guys was playing a younger kid.

They’d searched for his ball and nothing.

Our guy leaves, miraculously the ball is found in the wide open.

Gets hit up onto the green, different number and the ball has aged quite a bit as it’s all beat up.

He called the young guy on it and he denied it.

He then proceeds to kiss our guy’s ass for the next few holes after not speaking all day.

I brought it to their captain’s attention and he said there is no way his guy would cheat.

Our guy is as straight as it gets, ex pro and said he was 100% certain he’d been done by a cheat.

Every other team in the division will be made aware of what has happened.

Woah... which division is this guy in? sounds like he has a mallet putter stuck up his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    I played that guy a couple years ago!

I knew he was a c*nt so I went out of my way to be nice. Walked over, said his name loudly and introduced myself.

Said nothing all match. I holed out from 120m, nothing.

I ended up winning the final 4 holes to win 1up.

On the last green I conceded his putt and he wouldn’t tell me what he was in for.

Even though I knew , I waited until another one of his team members confirmed his score for me before I putt. I had 3 putts from 15 feet for the win. Knocked it to a foot and a half and still nothing. Lined up that putt from all angles just to be a dick in return.

No handshakes were exchanged as he was gone as soon as the putt dropped.

Saw him again this year.

Walked over, loudly said his name and gave the big handshake.

Nothing in return.

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Woah... which division is this guy in? sounds like he has a mallet putter stuck up his ass.
    Divy2.

Multi millionaire.

Apparently he’s ok outside of pennant, but gets a super serious game face on during pennant season.

Divy2.

Multi millionaire.

Apparently he’s ok outside of pennant, but gets a super serious game face on during pennant season.
    Golf version of white line fever?
    Most likely got that rich from being ruthless in business and and can't switch that off for what should be a friendly competitive game.

W.I.T.B

Sounds like you, except for the ok outside of pennant part...
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Sounds like you, except for the ok outside of pennant part...
    POTY contender right here.

W.I.T.B

Thread Information