Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

It is, especially 20 beers deep at 2am in the morning

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Changing ball distance won't change anything.The long hitters may go back a club or 2,but so will the shorter hitters

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    It is, especially 20 beers deep at 2am in the morning
    As opposed to 2am in the afternoon?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

2 part solution for the pro game!

Make the ball spin more with the driver and less with the wedges (or make max loft 54*)

Make the driver max 320cc’s.

This would make it more challenging to be a long but wild hitter! Approach shots would be more about finesse than brute strength and speed. Strategy would come into play more because approaches from the correct position would be rewarded greater.

Agree with Malv. The current pro game bears no resemblence to golf played by the masses!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post

Agree with Malv. The current pro game bears no resemblence to golf played by the masses!

Is it meant to.I can think of a lot of sports in which the top tier performers make the masses look ordinary.Their are plenty of golfers with the "pro"tag who are no different to you and me.

At the top of their game,a pro of any sport has resources available that we can only dream of

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Is it meant to.I can think of a lot of sports in which the top tier performers make the masses look ordinary.Their are plenty of golfers with the "pro"tag who are no different to you and me.

At the top of their game,a pro of any sport has resources available that we can only dream of

Agree with all the above, good cross sport example is Snooker. An unbelievable difference in quality between the pro ranks and the Thursday night Div 1 pennant player. What the pros can do on the table is beyond the vast majority of snooker wannabees

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Agree with all the above, good cross sport example is Snooker. An unbelievable difference in quality between the pro ranks and the Thursday night Div 1 pennant player. What the pros can do on the table is beyond the vast majority of snooker wannabees
    Nobody is telling your local snooker hall to build 14ft foot tables because "Stephen Hendry" is too good.

Senior Member Major Winner

The only issue I see is the notion that par must be protected.

I have no issue if winning scores go to -28.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post

This...No one says "Christiano Ronaldo scores too often, we need to make the goals smaller" or "Stef Curry scores too much, we need to move the 3pt line and make the basket higher"

I WANT to see the best in the world go to work and make birdies and eagles. If I want to watch someone struggle to make pars I'll go play golf with Solarman.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    This...No one says "Christiano Ronaldo scores too often, we need to make the goals smaller" or "Stef Curry scores too much, we need to move the 3pt line and make the basket higher"

I WANT to see the best in the world go to work and make birdies and eagles. If I want to watch someone struggle to make pars I'll go play golf with Solarman.
    Kakaaa

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Blog Entries

Yep, but is the ‘purity’ of keeping the equipment notionally the same worth the destruction of 150 plus years of tradition in the game?

Acknowledge that the game is different for the pro’s.....and that we don’t need to use performance reducing equipment as amateurs but THEY DO if we want to protect the fabled courses of the world. Otherwise, call it WWGE and build a dozen crap courses for the pros that stretch to 8500 yards!

These guys are good but the equipment makes them very very good!
    Gamers

The best golf I have seen in many years was The Open at Carnoustie, brilliant setup. To me that is the template.

But the yanks will never get firm and fast all the time as their climate does not allow it. They are obsessed with green and watering lawns it's like a religion over there.

Blog Entries

Major League Baseball got rid of Aluminium bats when everybody was smashing the ball out of the park!
    They had 2 choices...build new much bigger ballparks that cost heaps and have the fans further away from the action; or

Return to wooden bats only! Pretty easy choice really!!!
    Gamers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    As opposed to 2am in the afternoon?
    Gee whiz benno it is a pretty common turn of phrase.

This. -28 or +28, the bloke who hits it the fewest times wins.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    Major League Baseball got rid of Aluminium bats when everybody was smashing the ball out of the park!
    They had 2 choices...build new much bigger ballparks that cost heaps and have the fans further away from the action; or

Return to wooden bats only! Pretty easy choice really!!!
    Where should golf draw the line: Wooden drivers, hickory shafts, no sand wedge, no irons?

recently played a brand new course, TPC Colorado just outside of Denver, its a spit under 8000 yards, they will play Web dot com events there.
    One par 5 is 773 yards (+700 metres). Its 300 yards to reach the ladies tee. I was told the best two hits so far was a 9 iron for the third.
    But it also has 3 drivable par 4's, a baby par 3 stadium hole, and a couple of bunkerless holes.

The interesting thing about this course, like Barnbougle, the fairways are wide, sometimes split fairways, and I didnt miss a fairway in 2 round, but gee I had some horrible approach shots, particularly on the shortest par 4, tried to drive the green, hit it ok, but made double and triple. should have aimed 40m left and it would have been a doddle.

I take my hat off to the designer, I think he did a marvellous job at making something thats a challenge for all levels,. would be interesting to see what the pros score there.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Where should golf draw the line: Wooden drivers, hickory shafts, no sand wedge, no irons?
    Let’s lose 100’s of courses with great history just so you can see someone drive the ball 350 yards. Just go watch the long drive contest instead. I want to see the pro’s playing on courses that demand shot making and skill, not just bomb and gouge. The best courses on tour aren’t the longest, they’re the ones that make people think. The baseball stadium analogy fits perfectly.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    Let’s lose 100’s of courses with great history just so you can see someone drive the ball 350 yards. Just go watch the long drive contest instead. I want to see the pro’s playing on courses that demand shot making and skill, not just bomb and gouge. The best courses on tour aren’t the longest, they’re the ones that make people think. The baseball stadium analogy fits perfectly.
    Why do we care if we lose all these great courses to the tour? These guys are the 1% of the 1%.

As long as they keep them original for me and Joe 6 pack, that's all I want.

You didn’t answer the question.

If you want distance reigned in, where do you want it? How far should they be allowed to hit the ball? What equipment should they be allowed to use?

It’s all well and good to jump up and down about distance but you haven’t provided an alternative.

Why do we care if we lose all these great courses to the tour? These guys are the 1% of the 1%.

As long as they keep them original for me and Joe 6 pack, that's all I want.
    Correct me if I’m wrong but was par even a thing when a lot of the old courses were designed? AFAIK they played matchplay (almost?) exclusively and par is a recent construct for tv.

The old blokes didn’t decide they should have a 4 on this hole, they just wanted to have fewer than their opponent.

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    You didn’t answer the question.

If you want distance reigned in, where do you want it? How far should they be allowed to hit the ball? What equipment should they be allowed to use?

It’s all well and good to jump up and down about distance but you haven’t provided an alternative.
    It all starts with the ball, they should be reigning that in. It has been the biggest influence in golf in the last 20 years.

As it stands almost every course is having to be extended, new tee boxes put in place just to make it playable for those at the top.

I might never get to play all these courses, but I still enjoy watching the pro's play them, and I'd like to watch them play them how they were intended (for the most part).

People want to say that we can play everything the pro's do in terms of equipment and courses, but that's not true. They have stuff available to them that we can't get our hands on.

If the governing bodies reel the ball in a little bit, maybe 5-10% then we don't lose anything in terms of watching how good these guys are, it just keeps more of the courses in play.

Amateurs can still play all the equipment we play now, but just make the pro ball fly a little less.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

It all starts with the ball, they should be reigning that in. It has been the biggest influence in golf in the last 20 years.

As it stands almost every course is having to be extended, new tee boxes put in place just to make it playable for those at the top.

I might never get to play all these courses, but I still enjoy watching the pro's play them, and I'd like to watch them play them how they were intended (for the most part).

People want to say that we can play everything the pro's do in terms of equipment and courses, but that's not true. They have stuff available to them that we can't get our hands on.

If the governing bodies reel the ball in a little bit, maybe 5-10% then we don't lose anything in terms of watching how good these guys are, it just keeps more of the courses in play.

Amateurs can still play all the equipment we play now, but just make the pro ball fly a little less.
    I reckon shortening them by 20 metres with driver will achieve SFA but I appreciate the fact you’ve drawn a line in the sand somewhere.

Blog Entries

As soon as they caved on persimmon and allowed hickory to die, this issue was inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    As soon as they caved on persimmon and allowed hickory to die, this issue was inevitable.
    Have we identified the issue?

Thread Information