Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 1000 AUD, Received: 229 AUD (23%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Join Date
    May 08, 2004
    Posts
    6,583

    Default Less expectations, better outcome?

    Just finished playing this morning and played much better than I had been.

    Iíve been struggling to break my handicap recently so I decided to try something different.

    I played with 9 clubs instead of 14 for starters. Bushy et al may be onto something here.

    I had 2 goals today.

    Keep the ball in play and no worse than bogey every hole.

    Lowered expectations, super relaxed and carefree. Focus shifted from long game to the short game. Aim off the tee was to avoid penalty shots so I could get somewhere near the green in reg and have a chance at an up and down, bogey at worst.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)
    Join Date
    Feb 17, 2010
    Location
    foot o' the mountains
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Great mindset to have , but very hard not to get caught up in the need to win


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 driver proforce V2 STaylorMade 2016 M2 3 woodMizuno mp fli-hi 21*Mizuno mp h4 4-pw KBS c-taper lite 105 rTitleist sm4 50, 54* & 58* Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider cs

  3. #3
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 17, 2010
    Location
    Lacking imagination, while 4-jacking...
    Posts
    12,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Just finished playing this morning and played much better than I had been.

    Iíve been struggling to break my handicap recently so I decided to try something different.

    I played with 9 clubs instead of 14 for starters. Bushy et al may be onto something here.

    I had 2 goals today.

    Keep the ball in play and no worse than bogey every hole.

    Lowered expectations, super relaxed and carefree. Focus shifted from long game to the short game. Aim off the tee was to avoid penalty shots so I could get somewhere near the green in reg and have a chance at an up and down, bogey at worst.
    I know I give this "movement" shit, but the questions have to be asked...

    Why can't you have the goals of keeping the ball in play and no worse than a bogey a hole with 14 clubs? More choice of how to play shots and recovery shots with the full 14 clubs should help you to achieve these goals even easier.

    Certainly no questioning of the goals themselves, they're perfectly acceptable and more golfers should be keeping things simple like this, I just don't see the need for the half-set nonsense. If you can't hit the clubs properly they shouldn't be in your bag in the first place, and why would you be able to hit the 5 iron of your iron set but not the 6?
    Titleist 915D2 9.75į - Diamana D+ S
    " 910H 16.25į - D+ S
    " 910H 19į - Aldila VS Proto S
    Ping S59 3 iron
    Mizzy MP-68 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 6.5
    Cleveland CG15 54į & 58į
    39" SC GoLo Mid
    GolfLink ; GolfMap

  4. #4
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 03, 2012
    Location
    Still on the green
    Posts
    10,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    I know I give this "movement" shit, but the questions have to be asked...

    Why can't you have the goals of keeping the ball in play and no worse than a bogey a hole with 14 clubs? More choice of how to play shots and recovery shots with the full 14 clubs should help you to achieve these goals even easier.

    Certainly no questioning of the goals themselves, they're perfectly acceptable and more golfers should be keeping things simple like this, I just don't see the need for the half-set nonsense. If you can't hit the clubs properly they shouldn't be in your bag in the first place, and why would you be able to hit the 5 iron of your iron set but not the 6?
    Itís the vibe.

    For some the thinking changes from having to shoot a score to keeping out of trouble. Iím only half with them on this but the other half is with you. If the goal is eliminate bad scores by aiming for the centre of the green, why not always aim for the centre of the green whether you have 7 or 14 clubs?

    Sticking with your 5 and 6 iron example, and this is for me only, I donít think thereís much I can do with a 5,6,7 I canít do with a 5,7. If there is, Iím ok with missing out.

    Mostly I just like carrying fewer clubs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Join Date
    May 08, 2004
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    I know I give this "movement" shit, but the questions have to be asked...Why can't you have the goals of keeping the ball in play and no worse than a bogey a hole with 14 clubs? More choice of how to play shots and recovery shots with the full 14 clubs should help you to achieve these goals even easier.Certainly no questioning of the goals themselves, they're perfectly acceptable and more golfers should be keeping things simple like this, I just don't see the need for the half-set nonsense. If you can't hit the clubs properly they shouldn't be in your bag in the first place, and why would you be able to hit the 5 iron of your iron set but not the 6?
    Lefty, I havenít been in this ďmovementĒ long enough yet so just my thoughts.I havenít been playing well, or as well as I would like with 14 clubs. I just wanted a change, a mindset change.I wanted to shed some baggage, physically and mentally. I donít pretend to be shaping shots with less clubs. Less clubs allows me to carry, even with my dodgy back. This alone has lifted a weight off me.If Iím stuck between 5 and 7 iron, I decide which is the better miss. Iím no longer looking for green in reg. Iím looking to place my ball where it gives me a good chance of up and down but at worst a bogey. If I happen to mishit a 5 or flush a 7 and get it close, thatís an accidental bonus.Iíll most likely go back to playing 13-14 clubs once I get good at this but I may not. My aim is to learn with each round not necessarily shoot the lowest score.Quite liberating really...

  6. #6
    Member Teaching Pro
    Join Date
    Jun 04, 2016
    Location
    Greenside Bunker
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Lefty, I haven’t been in this “movement” long enough yet so just my thoughts.I haven’t been playing well, or as well as I would like with 14 clubs. I just wanted a change, a mindset change.I wanted to shed some baggage, physically and mentally. I don’t pretend to be shaping shots with less clubs. Less clubs allows me to carry, even with my dodgy back. This alone has lifted a weight off me.If I’m stuck between 5 and 7 iron, I decide which is the better miss. I’m no longer looking for green in reg. I’m looking to place my ball where it gives me a good chance of up and down but at worst a bogey. If I happen to mishit a 5 or flush a 7 and get it close, that’s an accidental bonus.I’ll most likely go back to playing 13-14 clubs once I get good at this but I may not. My aim is to learn with each round not necessarily shoot the lowest score.Quite liberating really...
    I think something that gets lost in the half-set talk is not so much being good enough with every club, but playing fewer clubs forces to to hit shots you wouldn't normally hit. I don't play the half set, but I know that people like doing it to take them out of a comfort zone, force them to hit a low flighted 5 iron instead of a 6 iron. Maybe use the ground more when approaching the green, instead of always playing the ball in the air. Sure you can do that when all the clubs are in the bag, but 9 times out of 10 I would imagine you always go for the stock shot. Taking that stock shot away forces your hand, makes you think a little differently about how you approach the shot. Think it's good for the mind, good for the game.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M1 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron DG AMT X100
    Titleist 716 CB 4-9 DG AMT X100
    Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04L DG Wedge Flex
    Odyssey RSX Milled #7
    Titleist ProV1x #23

  7. #7
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Join Date
    May 08, 2004
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbad View Post
    I think something that gets lost in the half-set talk is not so much being good enough with every club, but playing fewer clubs forces to to hit shots you wouldn't normally hit. I don't play the half set, but I know that people like doing it to take them out of a comfort zone, force them to hit a low flighted 5 iron instead of a 6 iron. Maybe use the ground more when approaching the green, instead of always playing the ball in the air. Sure you can do that when all the clubs are in the bag, but 9 times out of 10 I would imagine you always go for the stock shot. Taking that stock shot away forces your hand, makes you think a little differently about how you approach the shot. Think it's good for the mind, good for the game.
    Thatís no doubt a great reason for carrying less clubs. Mine was to a) reduce the weight so I can carry and b) reduce decision errors.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Join Date
    May 03, 2004
    Location
    Pin high, in the lake
    Posts
    24,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    It’s the vibe.

    For some the thinking changes from having to shoot a score to keeping out of trouble. I’m only half with them on this but the other half is with you. If the goal is eliminate bad scores by aiming for the centre of the green, why not always aim for the centre of the green whether you have 7 or 14 clubs?

    Sticking with your 5 and 6 iron example, and this is for me only, I don’t think there’s much I can do with a 5,6,7 I can’t do with a 5,7. If there is, I’m ok with missing out.

    Mostly I just like carrying fewer clubs.
    I find it ironic that you're using a half-set of single length clubs... half sets force you to improvise and play various shot-shapes with differing swing lengths to get the required distance, but single length clubs are designed to take the shot-making mechanics out of the equation so you make the same swing every time. Just an observation.
    Handic(r)ap | 2019 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap | Winner of the 17-24 July 2016 Celebrity Infinity Open

    7 tours of the Uncivil War


  9. #9
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Join Date
    May 03, 2004
    Location
    Pin high, in the lake
    Posts
    24,391

    Default

    FWIW, I've played over 18 holes in the last few days using only 4 clubs (in preparation for the 4x4x4 thing tomorrow afternoon). I've still been able to score quite well even with so few clubs in the bag, but I still have no desire to carry any less than the 13 or 14 I usually use.
    Handic(r)ap | 2019 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap | Winner of the 17-24 July 2016 Celebrity Infinity Open

    7 tours of the Uncivil War


  10. #10
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 03, 2012
    Location
    Still on the green
    Posts
    10,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    I find it ironic that you're using a half-set of single length clubs... half sets force you to improvise and play various shot-shapes with differing swing lengths to get the required distance, but single length clubs are designed to take the shot-making mechanics out of the equation so you make the same swing every time. Just an observation.
    Youíre well aware I donít make the same swing twice let alone every time.

    Post reported for silliness.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Order of Merit winner
    Join Date
    Sep 15, 2012
    Location
    In The Trees, FORE
    Posts
    8,185

    Default

    Nothing wrong with learning to manufacture shot length.
    Distance control is a big part of the game and carrying 4-5 wedges has made people lazy in learning this part of the game.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

    W.I.T.B


  12. #12
    Senior Member Grand Slam Winner
    Join Date
    May 03, 2004
    Location
    Pin high, in the lake
    Posts
    24,391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    You’re well aware I don’t make the same swing twice let alone every time.

    Post reported for silliness.
    You are a walking contradiction.
    Handic(r)ap | 2019 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap | Winner of the 17-24 July 2016 Celebrity Infinity Open

    7 tours of the Uncivil War


  13. #13
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Join Date
    May 12, 2009
    Posts
    19,170

    Default

    Is this the BJ thread?

  14. #14
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Join Date
    Oct 15, 2009
    Location
    Cornubia QLD
    Posts
    4,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    You are a walking contradiction.
    POTY nominee!
    Golflink

    WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

  15. #15
    Senior Member Major Winner
    Join Date
    Sep 03, 2012
    Location
    Still on the green
    Posts
    10,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    You are a walking contradiction.
    Like when the babyís on its way? Am not.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Join Date
    Apr 28, 2004
    Location
    Helensvale & Toowoomba
    Posts
    26,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Lowered expectations
    you nailed it Jono. Most golfers unrealistically change their expectations according to how they well they started their round, or played yesterday. the reality is our average is about 3 strokes above our handicap and that should be our expectation before the round, or for the remainder of the round no matter what the progress score is. If you think about every time you seemingly choked it on the last few holes its probably because you were trying to hang on to that lower score - well at least thats what I did. My best rounds were mostly a late run of birdies rather than a good start.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.

    The Only Truth the rest is all lies.

  17. #17
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)
    Join Date
    Jan 15, 2017
    Location
    Boronia
    Posts
    610

    Default

    So did you leave the f9 in the car Jono.Drive for show and putt for doh

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Join Date
    May 08, 2004
    Posts
    6,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    So did you leave the f9 in the car Jono.Drive for show and putt for dohSent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    I took it but only used three times. I still want to feel comfortable with the driver so Iíll continue to carry it. Iíll try just playing with irons once in a while too and hit longer shots into greens where I usually have a wedge.Makes playing the same course week in week out more variable and fun. 😊

  19. #19
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)
    Join Date
    Jan 15, 2017
    Location
    Boronia
    Posts
    610

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I took it but only used three times. I still want to feel comfortable with the driver so Iíll continue to carry it. Iíll try just playing with irons once in a while too and hit longer shots into greens where I usually have a wedge.Makes playing the same course week in week out more variable and fun.
    I play social rounds where I only carry irons.It doesn't do anything for scoring,but just makes you appreciate the extra length the driver can give

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Yearly goals / expectations
    By Waddzy in forum Golf Matters
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 15th May 2013, 09:34 PM
  2. Australian Masters Outcome
    By crusher in forum Tour Talk
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 1st December 2008, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Back to top