Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Short game lessons

My full swing is coming along OK and I have some directional control now (ie I don't go 50m left ). However, I still suck from 30m and in, especially on quick undulating greens. Can't seem to control the spin on my pitch/chip shots and my bunker play, especially when there is a lot of sand (or soft sand) is very sucky. I either go right under the ball or thin it across the green.

Short putts are OK but anything outside 20 feet are shaky.

After some thought, I have commited myself to a series of short game lessons.

Fingers crossed I come out the other end a better player.

Are there any other ozgolfers who struggled with the short game that took specific short game lessons? What was your experience/improvement like?

Jono, it will be money well spent. My advice is have a stock pitch shot that runs out, don't focus on the skidding checker or anything like that as you will always be worrying about how much spin your gonna apply. Once you are 100% confident in the stock shot and can get it to 10ft every time you then can focus on the spin side of things. Bunker play should be the same, just get it out first. Once you have confidence again try getting it close. Common sense i know but well worth hearing
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Jono, I bought myself a little chipping net that I can use in the front yard. I just practice chipping into it, and when I have a bit of time, I play chipping games etc. Has really helped improve my ball contact and my short game to the extent that I expect to get up an down most times now. I got mine from Squizzys in a sale for about $25 from memory.

movin' to the country gunna eat me alot of peaches.

Jono,

I have the same net Dave mentioned... It is good for mixing your training.

I think my short game is ok, well I get up and down more than I don't ( be a lot more if holes a few putts). I think a lesson is a good idea. Once you have the basic fundamentals correct, practice and then really challenge yourself. Mentally and in practice..... Try and hole it, or get it dead.. Practice from horrible places.... I sometimes try and land flop shots in my wheelie bin, from beside it.... why? because it is fun!!! I practice hitting punch hook or cut three irons @ the range as well, and I gurantee those two shots have saved me more shots than hitting 7 iron to 135m all day.

The short game is about being creative.... Have a stock shot, and get it down pat... But know when putter from the fringe is a better option or, or bump and run 7 iron from 40m, instead of the perfectly executed wedge, is the better play.

Quote Originally Posted by popper81 View Post
    The short game is about being creative.... Have a stock shot, and get it down pat... But know when putter from the fringe is a better option or, or bump and run 7 iron from 40m, instead of the perfectly executed wedge, is the better play.
    Great stuff Popper.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Major Winner

Having a lesson or two would be a good start to help with the technique side.
    Form then on it's practice, practice, practice to develop distance control.

I got myself some old clubs and cut the heads off to give me something to aim at.
    I would then space them out at roughly 5m 10m 15m and 20m.
    To warm up and get some feel I would start by trying to chip an eight iron to the 5m marker. I would then try and chip the next one a foot further then the last chip until I got out to the 20m marker. I would then repeat but in reverse order.
    I would then repeat the same drill with the wedge and then the sand iron.

I would repeat this a few times with the object of trying to have as many hits as possible by getting the ball just further before I reached the 20m marker and had to work back.

To finish off I would mix it up by selecting different the different irons and picking one of the targets and chip/pitch to that point and keep mixing it up.

My shag bag held about 120 balls and I would often hit the full bag two or 3 times.

Further sessions you could stretch the length out to a half PW or sand iron.

My short game improved out of site in a short time.

For every session I spent on the practice fairway working on my swing hitting full shots I would spend 3 on my chipping/pitching.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Jono
    All players with good short games play from shut to open in chipping and pitching. The club face is shut on the takeaway, returns square at impact and opens past impact. If you think of the club face looking at the ball for as long as possible and looking at the target past impact you won't be too far wrong. The long game is an extension of this action with wrist work post impact controlling ball flight.
    Consciousness and awareness - awareness is being aware of what is happening and being aware of what is happening within ourselves while we are conscious. Where did I leave my glasses?

Thanks for the tips guys.

I played with a pro this week who thought my address position for chips and pitch shots needs working on. I have my hands to far ahead of the ball and I stand way open to compensate. The ball comes out low and sometimes checks if I hit it right and runs on if I don't. He thought it might be better to stand more neutral and let the clubhead release instead of holding it off.

My lag putting is what plagues me the most. My green reading sucks and I can't seem to get the length right either.

I'll see how the lessons go and I'll have to devote some time to regular short game practice.

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

I have no idea about how many times have I've posted this but it made a lot of sense to me and really helped my short game, which has helped my long game.

Set up pretty square, basically keep your the angle in the right wrist consistent and then turn your body and hit slightly down on the ball.

Good luck. That and I brought 4 new wedges!!!

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I found it easier to hit the short pitches and chips by hitting deliberatly fat. Probably works best l with normal bounce sand iron and grass that doesnt cause it to dig in. I dunno why but I just get heaps of control and spin, and must be a huge margin of error cos it really doesnt matter how fat you hit it, the club just slides under the ball perfectly.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Shot 40 points yesterday with pretty good short game. Ball striking was way off but managed to get up and down few times and holed two birdie putts.

I concentrated on not having my hands so far forward with chip/pitch shots and standing more square to the target and letting the clubhead release more. I also tried to shallow out the path to the ball, concentrating on hitting the bottom of the ball. The ball came out a bit higher and softer, making it much easier to control.

Now if I can combine good ball striking AND good short game ...

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Due to a lack of time and money for range balls, I tend to do free practise on the putting and chipping area near me, and I'm really noticing the benefits. I'm becoming a more consistent version of crap rather than a wildly inconsistent sort of crap

I had a playing lesson with Marty yesterday, we concentrated on short game. He gave me some good tools to utilise.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I had a playing lesson with Marty yesterday, we concentrated on short game. He gave me some good tools to utilise.
    So .................
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Now if I can combine good ball striking AND good short game ...
    For the most part - your short game is going to be a smaller version of your long game. The trouble is that timing is more important with shortgame than the long game.

It usually highlights weaknesses in your long game. If you have an issue with the hooks, you are alsways going to struggle with your short game, if you hit a lot of fades, it usually favours well with your short game. Just dueto face angles...

Once you get your distance control with pitching under some control, then the rest will flow pretty quickly.

It all comes down to contact and having a system... don't care what system, as long as it is A system. The idea that you can "feel" the distances is a total fallacy without a lot of practice.

Good luck mate - happy to help if you so desire. Mona Vale has 3 fantastic short game areas and greens that stimp at 12.

Never made the link between hooks and short game, Virge.

My short game has gone south somewhat and at the same time have started hooking irons and driver.

The timing and distance (80 and 100 m for the Sand and gap wedge respectively is great. However, transferring the swing to the irons and woods is easier said than done.

I've lost confidence in the 10-60m shots and I think need more focused practise.
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbluu View Post
    I have no idea about how many times have I've posted this but it made a lot of sense to me and really helped my short game, which has helped my long game.

Set up pretty square, basically keep your the angle in the right wrist consistent and then turn your body and hit slightly down on the ball.

Good luck. That and I brought 4 new wedges!!!

Great post MB. My teaching pro had me doing this one armed drill earlier in the year & I'd forgotten all about it. Just what the doctor ordered for this chipping numpty.

Foley has a great system that I use for pitching and chipping.

like the clock drill - but works on both sides

cracking solution to a major problem.

Link or summary?
    "I don’t want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying."
    - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by idgolfguy View Post
    Link or summary?
    Sorry mate - it was on his DVD.

Will look on his website.
    Is the DVD value for money?
    - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    For the most part - your short game is going to be a smaller version of your long game. The trouble is that timing is more important with shortgame than the long game.

It usually highlights weaknesses in your long game. If you have an issue with the hooks, you are alsways going to struggle with your short game, if you hit a lot of fades, it usually favours well with your short game. Just dueto face angles...

Once you get your distance control with pitching under some control, then the rest will flow pretty quickly.

It all comes down to contact and having a system... don't care what system, as long as it is A system. The idea that you can "feel" the distances is a total fallacy without a lot of practice.

Good luck mate - happy to help if you so desire. Mona Vale has 3 fantastic short game areas and greens that stimp at 12.
    I partially agree with what you say, but my problem has been blocking with hands way forward with the short game where with the full swing, it's always been problems with flipping it left. One way to look at it is that because I'm always fighting the flip with the long game, I'm doing the same thing with my short game and blocking it.

In the past, I've had some success with Pelz short game system from 50m to 90m. My main problem is 50m and in, especially those short chips around the greens where you really expect to get down in 2. I was struggling to get down in 3. Absolutely no control with the blocking swing but now I feel like I have some control letting the clubhead release.

I'll keep on practising and have some lessons and see how I go.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Isnt the best way to improve your short game just to buy a new putter to try and swanky new set of wedges?
    Nike VR Tour 9.5 with fubuki tour 73X
    RBZ Tour 14.5 with fubuki alpha 70X
    Adams A7 19H Axiv toour red 80x
    R9 TP B Stamps 3-P KBS tour s
    Yes 53 & 60
    Custom centre shaft scotty fastback

It is just technique mate.

the club works around your body... the hands do SFA, unless you are doing something special shot.

Next time we get together - I can sort this out real quick... your hands are good enough through impact - just hold teh clubface open if you get scared... the ball just comes out higher and spins more.

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

I partially agree with what you say, but my problem has been blocking with hands way forward with the short game where with the full swing, it's always been problems with flipping it left. One way to look at it is that because I'm always fighting the flip with the long game, I'm doing the same thing with my short game and blocking it.

In the past, I've had some success with Pelz short game system from 50m to 90m. My main problem is 50m and in, especially those short chips around the greens where you really expect to get down in 2. I was struggling to get down in 3. Absolutely no control with the blocking swing but now I feel like I have some control letting the clubhead release.

Jono, if Foley can help me then he can certain help you. About 7years ago I developed the dreaded socket rockets for about 2years, which eventually eroded my short game nerves and feel in my hands. I was ok on bump and run shots but couldn't hit a pitch or flop shot to save my life. Foley teaches to keep everything pretty neutral and the hands to be quiet and make a good turn. Anyway, good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyg View Post
    Isnt the best way to improve your short game just to buy a new putter to try and swanky new set of wedges?
    and a new 3 wood and/or carry bag wouldn't hurt either.

Thread Information