Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Best Golf Destinations in Aus?

3 friends and I travel every year to play golf for a week. We just got back from Barnbougle (2nd time) and are starting to think about ‘where next’. We’ve done the Mornington peninsula and Gold Coast which were fantastic. We haven’t done the sand belt or King Island as we’ve wanted to keep the cost down a bit, bu we’ll have to go one day!

Where else would you recommend? Thinking about Adelaide?

Would really appreciate some suggestions...

Thanks in advance!
    Dunc

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

What about the Bellarine Peninsula in Victoria?

SW Victoria in February next year will be okay too.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    What about the Bellarine Peninsula in Victoria?

SW Victoria in February next year will be okay too.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t
    Bellarine is good, recently visited and loved the changes to Barwon Heads (despite the psycho mounding on the last few holes). Staying in the clubhouse would be an amazing experience; you have to get in early as I recently found out.

However I reckon it will be really good once Curlewis has completely finished the upgrades and Lonsdale is done. That is probably about 2-3 years away.

Adelaide is great if you can get on the Sandbelt tracks. They have a 4 reds deal that would be worth looking at, this will get you on the 4 tier 1's: RA, Kooyonga, Glenelg, Grange.

Other than that you could head South to the Fleurieu and play Mt Compass / Victor Hbr & Links Lady Bay. 2/3 are in the Top 100 and Victor is a lovely parkland course.

WA is a fair distance but has some decent courses worth playing: Lake Karrinyup (if you can get on), Kennedy Bay, Sun City, Joondalup.

If you like resort golf then the gold coast is your oyster. More lumps and humps than a Beverly Hills surgery clinic.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Anywhere other than Gold Coast is great.

Probably the best all factors considered is the Murray River area, like around Rich River to Cobram-Barooga.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

King Island is worth the effort, not as easy to get to as Barney but bloody immense

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Anywhere other than Gold Coast is great.

Probably the best all factors considered is the Murray River area, like around Rich River to Cobram-Barooga.
    Its a bloody long way from anywhere though. Add 3-4 hours of driving from Melbourne onto flights from NZ.

Whilst we have the Kiwi here, what are the must plays around NZ?

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Its a bloody long way from anywhere though. Add 3-4 hours of driving from Melbourne onto flights from NZ.Whilst we have the Kiwi here, what are the must plays around NZ?
    I’m no Kiwi but the courses around Queenstown are a must. Jacks Point, Milbrook, Queenstown, Arrowtown and The Hills if you can get on are all worth playing. Even if you don’t play well the scenery is a welcome distraction!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Senior Member Major Winner

I'd second queenstown.

Arrowtown, Jacks Point, Cromwell and Millbrook are must plays.

Queenstown and Wanaka if you are desperate.

The Hills if you are as rich as Peppas.

Senior Member Major Winner

A trip with a group playing Tocumwal (2x 18hole courses), Cobram Baroga (2x 18hole courses), Yarrawonga (2x 18hole courses), Corowa 27holes and Black Bull is very good vale. Plenty of low cost play and stay packages available. You’ve also got Rich River (2x 18holes courses) and Murray Downs all around 2hrs away from Cobram Baroga.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Flying out of Sydney, Adelaide is my favourite golf trip.

Easier to get to than Mornington, on par with the Bellarine and at a lower price point than the sand belt.

I like it because its always 15 mins to most places you want to go. Courses are fantastic RA, Kooyonga, we have recips at The Grange and Glenelg is up there as well.

Good restaurants and pubs, we stay at Glenelg as a mate lives there but you could stay in the "City"/North Adelaide. We saw a Port/Swans game at the Adelaide Oval, had a few beers (West End unfortunately) in the Cathedral Room beforehand, great night and I don't even like AFL. McLaren Vale just out of town if you take a day off golf.

Its a bloody long way from anywhere though. Add 3-4 hours of driving from Melbourne onto flights from NZ.Whilst we have the Kiwi here, what are the must plays around NZ?
    My top picks in NZ (not in order but definitely this group):Cape KidnappersKinlochKauri CliffsJacks PointThe Hills (on reputation - I haven’t played it)There’s a case for Millbrook and Wairakei to be in here but personally I think they’re just a tier down (I’ll probably get flamed for saying that).And finally there’s Tara Iti which has priced itself out of the stratosphere so doesn’t feature in ‘normal golfers’ conversations. Its super exlusive and that doesn’t really sit well with with golfers over here. I’m sure the owners don’t care though!If you’re wanting to visit and stay in one place and play great courses, I totally agree with Queenstown as the pick. It’s an awesome place with heaps to do. Non-golfers would have a great time too.

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Bellarine is good, recently visited and loved the changes to Barwon Heads (despite the psycho mounding on the last few holes). Staying in the clubhouse would be an amazing experience; you have to get in early as I recently found out.However I reckon it will be really good once Curlewis has completely finished the upgrades and Lonsdale is done. That is probably about 2-3 years away.
    Thanks AndyP and thecollective (great name for a band!). I’d obviously under rated Bellarine, is it as good as Mornington peninsula? Maybe i’ll take your advice and plan it for 2-3 years out. Thanks or the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by 8081travis View Post
    King Island is worth the effort, not as easy to get to as Barney but bloody immense
    Thanks Travis, did you stay on course or somewhere else? I imagine there’s not much else there?

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I'd second queenstown.

Arrowtown, Jacks Point, Cromwell and Millbrook are must plays.

Queenstown and Wanaka if you are desperate.

The Hills if you are as rich as Peppas.
    Then a quick flight to Wellington to play Paraparaumu is a must.

Its a bloody long way from anywhere though. Add 3-4 hours of driving from Melbourne onto flights from NZ.?
    You would know better than me, but a cursory look suggested that its only about 15 mins longer than driving down to Moonah and no likelyhood of traffic issues (assuming you start/finish at the closest golf course) - unless I have misjudged the map?
    I/we have been looking at murray river as an alternatve to Moonah next year.
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Say 2.30 to Moama, 2.45 to Tocumwal
    3 to Yarrawonga, 3.30 to Murray Downs.

Remember no speeding in Vic so you cant make time up.

I havent played any further west of Yarrawonga, but give me the peninsula over the Murray any day.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Ok Benno - I concur 2.5 hrs is the minimum. I agree the peninsular is great, the group i am with has been about 5x in a row, so looking for something different
    --
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    Ok Benno - I concur 2.5 hrs is the minimum. I agree the peninsular is great, the group i am with has been about 5x in a row, so looking for something different
    In that case, do it. Or do the Bellarine as Vic Champs did last year, which has plenty of great options in 13th B, Barwon Heads, Curlewis, Lonsdale when its finished, Queenscliff, Portarlington etc.

I played on the Murray around Albury and Corowa in December and the courses were in magnificent condition. I can't imagine the other destinations would be in any worse condition.

Chopperlink

WITB

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

A hidden gem is Lang Lang g c , it’s on the way to Philip island, it’s a good test and is always in good condition, could possibly pair it up with Cranbourne

Thread Information