Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Plays with an ex-hire set

Default Sydney North Shore Courses

Hi all, I'll be moving to the Sydney north shore in a few months and was wondering if anyone could help direct me to the better courses in that area? I'm a 25 y.o male and obviously want to play with people closer to my age than I do now (nothing personal!), but it's hard to get an idea on the age demographic of clubs purely from a website. I found most courses in the area are less than a par 70 which I am not a fan of. I currently play off 9, have been as low as 5.

Thanks!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

peteerb, you are in my wheelhouse having grown up here, unfortunately you are in what I like to call the "shite" belt, a collection of courses only a mother (with limited eyesight) could love.

As you have probably know already, the traffic is beyond frustrating so joining a club depends on where you are living (might live longer term). You have Killara (being redone), Pymble and Avondale up the train line, Terrey Hills/Monash/Elanora out in the middle of nowhere, Manly on its own and Long Reef a bit further up the coast.

If you are living on the lower north shore don't discount going across the bridge as an option (I like the Bonnie Doon makeover)

Sorry, can't help with who is discounting for under 30s

Thanks PerryGroves. I'll be living in Waverton but happy to drive if it is worth it, aware the traffic is ordinary though! I have looked at Long Reef a bit closer than others so that is on the cards, will check the others now.
    For some reason I didn't even look at the other side of the bridge, looks like Bonnie Doon isn't giving much aware re. prices but will investigate that area too. Thanks for the tips!

I like Longy, got a lot of mates there (its public/members so care needed depending on when you want to play), you will discover Military Rd/Spit Rd at some point, it will be a pita in summer if you play in the afternoon.

Very few clubs have a beach view and a TAB, they do at Long Reef. Concord (Doak just did a makeover, I really like it) is 20kms from Waverton (as is Long Reef)
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 4th March 2019 at 06:40 PM.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

North shore is a nice place to live but you’ve picked the worst part of Sydney for golf unless you’ve got deep pockets. Depends on where on the north shore you’re going to live and your budget really.

Killara, Avondale and Pymble are all well conditioned private members parkland tracks but all are very expensive, even by Sydney standards. Pretty sure Killara is still just temp tees and greens while they finish their reno too. North Ryde isn’t bad if you’re that side of the pacific highway. If you’re at the northern end of the north shore Asquith is probably the best value for the area and not a bad course. I used to be a member there. If you’re on the lower end I’d go for something across the harbour.

FWIW I live at Turramurra and have opted to sacrifice quality for price these days. I’m a member at North Turramurra. It’s a public course that outsourced the club and pro shop. Wed and Sat comps and the most relaxed people you’ll find on the north shore. $250 per year and $40 per round which suits me fine.

Happy to meet up for a hit anytime.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Just saw you’re at Waverton. Forget about upper north shore then. PG is right. I’d go for the Doon if I lived there. Long Reef is a good spot too.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

North Shore ticks all the boxes except for the golf game

Ron - I have played North Turramurra before, great quality course for the price! Good membership price too so will keep it in mind, distance/traffic the issue (like all others though I guess). Might keep an eye on Long Reef and see if they drop the joining fee at all...

Just saw Oatlands too, have either of you played there?

Quote Originally Posted by peteerb View Post
    North Shore ticks all the boxes except for the golf game Ron - I have played North Turramurra before, great quality course for the price! Good membership price too so will keep it in mind, distance/traffic the issue (like all others though I guess). Might keep an eye on Long Reef and see if they drop the joining fee at all...Just saw Oatlands too, have either of you played there?
    I’ve only played Oatlands once. Nice facilities and conditioning was good but I don’t think it was worth the price. Nothing wrong with it but nothing really stood out either. Just a nice, if slightly generic, parkland track. If heading that way North Ryde is only half as far and probably half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by peteerb View Post

Just saw Oatlands too, have either of you played there?
    I might have flown over it, its miles away from Waverton, St Michaels would be closer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    I’ve only played Oatlands once. Nice facilities and conditioning was good but I don’t think it was worth the price. Nothing wrong with it but nothing really stood out either. Just a nice, if slightly generic, parkland track. If heading that way North Ryde is only half as far and probably half the price.
    Fair call, appreciate the honesty.

Thanks both for the direction, I'll let you know how my deeper research goes!

I’d definitely recommend checking out the eastern suburbs courses. From Waverton they’re as quick to get to as anything on the north shore and there are some much better options. Bonnie Doon or St Micks if the budget goes that far or even Eastlake which is the cheapest in that area and sandwiched between Bonnie Doon and the Lakes so the terrain is pretty similar. Great bang for buck.

Good luck with the search.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

if It was me, I’d go for Bonnie Doon. The practice area, especially the short game area, is fantastic and the new layout is pretty challenging. Not cheap but not ridiculously expensive either.

Captain Nemo is a member there so try to get a game with him and you can check out the facilities.

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Where did you live and play previously?

Wakehurst could be the go, if you drive a white Hilux.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Where did you live and play previously?
    At Beverley Park, just south of the Airport. Pretty basic course but the benefit was how cheap it was!

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

I did the same thing this time last year but I'm about 10 mins further north than you & I chose Avondale. I think it's great, course is fantastic, members friendly, can just rock up & get a game, etc. BD is a good course but I found that I got stuck in traffic for too long if I wanted to go out for a game post working from home. I didn't know anyone at Elanora so couldn't even get a sniff there, it is supposed to be the best course of the 3. The only other option that I did look at is Terry Hills but that didn't suit me, family wise, as there wasn't a junior program.

Thanks Halfer. Do you happen to have an idea on membership prices at Avondale for my sort of age range? If not no stress, happy to send them an email.

Junior Member Fairweather club-member

Sorry no idea but they do have a cheaper rate for under 40s so worth a question to the club.

Thread Information