Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: WDYSTM - March

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I’m not sure how you can play 2 competitions on the same course on the same day.

Does the first one not count as practice?
    36 holes 1 day comp

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default WDYSTM - March

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Hopefully this works...

A question probably too ridiculous - Can you rent a cat?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t
    Quite amazing but a legitimate question nonetheless.

As opposed to what we see here, I’m well and truly bamboozled.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

4x4x4 challenge at Cairns GC yesterday. I shot 18 (+1) nett 17. Pretty poor really, should have done better.

Thanks to cored & sanded greens at Cairns we went up the hill to Mareeba GC today. We were told during the week that it was single stroke, but on arrival found that it was Par I shot a solid +1 around the front, but leaked oil on the closing stretch to finish +2.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Played stableford today.Wipe on 24 and another on the 9th.No birdies just plodding golf.
    33 points.
    2 x 3 putts

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Senior Member Major Winner

I'll keep this one shorter:
    Wed at Maryborough stableford. Massive low round backlash. Nothing worked, disgraceful.
    14/14 28

Thursday at Rockhampton. Still played bad, somehow shot 16 on the front, but wasted a lot of good opportunities to shoot 12 on the back
    16/12 28

Saturday at Maryborough stroke. More of the same on the front 9, was 4 over handicap at the turn. Something happened on the back 9 to get back to square. Solid but nothing spectacular.
    +4/-4 nett 70.

Hopefully a nice little drop might see me in the 10s for the first time in years.

Member Club Champion

I went to watch the Formula 1's in Melbourne on Friday and after what was an already long day in the sun and on my feet all day I managed to step on a nail that went straight through my shoe and into my foot. Should not have played today but I'm stubborn (stupid) and after 9 holes i thought I was going to have to raise the bat but thankfully avoided it. Will sleep easy tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I'll keep this one shorter:
    Wed at Maryborough stableford. Massive low round backlash. Nothing worked, disgraceful.
    14/14 28

Thursday at Rockhampton. Still played bad, somehow shot 16 on the front, but wasted a lot of good opportunities to shoot 12 on the back
    16/12 28

Saturday at Maryborough stroke. More of the same on the front 9, was 4 over handicap at the turn. Something happened on the back 9 to get back to square. Solid but nothing spectacular.
    +4/-4 nett 70.

Hopefully a nice little drop might see me in the 10s for the first time in years.
    Any social hits ?

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Any social hits ?
    Just 1, but I don't report them as they lack intensity.

First round today at Mt Lawley. Never played here before so was hitting blind most of the time.

Was hitting ok and putting ok....but nothing special. A few stupid shots but no harm done

So 86 gross for a 73 nett today

A round up of the last few days.

Played 4x4x4 at Cairns and played well.

4 fairways
    4 greens
    1 birdie

-1 gross
    -3 nett

Mareeba, opened poorly and was minus 3 early. Came back to be minus 1 at the turn. Played the back well to get to +1 before setting at square. Had a put on the last to avoid buying drinks in our game of wolf, Left it 3 ft short

Default Hills jimboomba

Just did 9 holes with the kids and girlfriend.... Dodged the rain for the second 9....ok round, bunkers were out of play (didn't find one anyhow) hit a 39 which is to my handicap but could of been a bit better with a couple of unlucky bounces off the driver... Was one of those days where you hit it really good but struggle toscore to handicap

Quote Originally Posted by Srix965 View Post
    Just did 9 holes with the kids and girlfriend.... Dodged the rain for the second 9....ok round, bunkers were out of play (didn't find one anyhow) hit a 39 which is to my handicap but could of been a bit better with a couple of unlucky bounces off the driver... Was one of those days where you hit it really good but struggle toscore to handicap
    How’s Rosewood these days?

First round of club champs at Keperra yesterday in the wet.

Played solid for an 83/71, (40-43) which included 4 doubles. Got up and down really well on the front nine. Really need to sort out driver, as I am playing a bit of army golf, while hitting my irons pretty solid. And a couple of 3 putts at the wrong time, although I only had 30 putts.

Hopefully next week will be a little less damp...

RIP - Duncan Bennett & Leon Treadwell

Unitlink

I’m not sure how you can play 2 competitions on the same course on the same day.

Does the first one not count as practice?
    Ummmmm, wot?

Have you never played a 36-hole comp in one day?
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Having SOME success with a Ping Tomcat, pray for me.
    GolfMap

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyHoges View Post
    Ummmmm, wot?

Have you never played a 36-hole comp in one day?
    Both rounds were golflinked. That’s 2 separate rounds.

Seeing as I'm now officially on the wait list for my ankle surgery and it could happen at any moment AND pennant starts in a fortnight I decided I probably should get out and play a round or two. I also stupidly decided to play a half-set and end some inane debate. I ALSO decided to go back to my Scotty Studio Design I to try and get rid of my yips. Also trying to be more aggressive with the short putts to get rid of said yips. So bag setup was Driver, 17.5° hybrid, 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 54° and Puttah. This round could've gone anywhere.

Holed an 8 footer for par on 1, a sliding downhill 6 footer for par on 2 and a 2 foot of break up and over and down a hill 20 footer on 5 for par. Which sounds great. It's a damn shame I missed a 2 footer on 3 and a 3 footer on 4.

Par on 6, and a great drive down 7 then the first instance of the half-set bit me in the arse. I had 197 to the flag (par 5) and my hybrid tends to go 210-215ish, but this was uphill, so would be closer to 205-210. Problem being there's an out of bounds at the back of the green where balls just love to sneak under the fence. So I back off the hybrid just a skosh. What happens when you back off on a club and don't get it right? Your hands don't get through the shot, so massive block OOB left. As an aside, what distance does the hybrid I left out tend to go? That's right, 195-200. Consider me unimpressed. Fortunately I manage to baby the next one up to the back left corner of the green and 2 putt for a bogey, so complete disaster avoided, but still cost at least 1 or 2 shots.

Make a massive up and down from the back of 8 (which would normally be an easy 9 iron, but my easier 8 iron still flew the green) for par, and par 9. Sit at +3 through 9 with an OOB and 2 putts under 3 feet missed. The half-set is a perfect metaphor for the round thus far, I'm halfway between what I COULD be (even par), and what I SHOULD be (+6).

Nuke a drive down 10, 275m. Where the **** did that come from!?!?! Baby 54° from 63m checks after 1 hop leaving me 15 feet. Binned it.

Second and third instance of half-set bite me in the arse. 11 is a 148m par 3 with a push-up green at the back, so long and fairly narrow (though it does widen at the back) and severe slope back to front. Normally an easy 7 iron to front edge or middle of green at worst. No chance in hell I can hammer the 8 and get anywhere near it so have to back off on the 6. What happens when you've already had one experience of having to back off on a club and not getting the hands through the shot? You overcompensate, don't you? I tug this thing right, it gets a hard bounce and I'm back right of this green in big trouble. Not that this is somewhere I haven't been before and can play the shot but the lie is terrible and I have Kikuyu scattered in front of me. SHOULD be a nice bump and run 7 iron. ****, don't have it. Play the 8 and risk it not running up the hill enough, or the 6 and hope the kikuyu doesn't **** you. I choose the 6 and the kike ****s me. Ball gets 3/4 of the way up the hill and stops. Chip down to 6 feet and push the putt. Double / wipe, done.

Driver, 8 iron to 5 feet on index 1 and bin the putt for 3/4 and back in the game. Lip a 20 foot bird on 13, lip a 4 foot bird on 14 (decent putt, just broke its tits off), run over the edge on 15 from 6 feet (bad read technically, but still can't believe the putt went the other way), just miss bird on 16, bin a curling downhiller from 12 feet on 17 for par, and make up and down on 18 for par and the half-set can **** off.

Summary:
    2 birdies
    12 pars
    3 bogeys
    1 double

7/14 Fairways (poor)
    9/18 GIR (OK)
    6/9 up 'n downs
    29 putts
    GolfMap

Both rounds were golflinked. That’s 2 separate rounds.
    They are 2 separate rounds in the eyes of GolfLink, yes. But there's no issue with that if it's a club 36 hole event.
    GolfMap

They are 2 separate rounds in the eyes of GolfLink, yes. But there's no issue with that if it's a club 36 hole event.

I also stupidly decided to play a half-set and end some inane debate.

9/18 GIR (OK)

By the sounds of it the debate hasn’t ended?

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    By the sounds of it the debate hasn’t ended?
    Greens in Reg hit:
    3rd: Par 5, no issue.
    6th: Hybrid, 54° wedge.
    9th: Driver: 54° wedge.
    10th: Driver, 63m flick 54° wedge.
    12th: Driver, 8 iron.
    13th: Par 5, no issue.
    14th: Driver, 54° wedge.
    15th: Driver, full 6 iron.
    16th: Par 5, full 6 iron.

GIR missed:
    1st: Needed 9 iron, went long with 8.
    2nd: Went long with 54°, no issue, just gorilla'd.
    4th: Pulled wedge, just missed, no issue.
    5th: Needed 3 iron, missed hard right with babied hybrid.
    7th: Blocked babied hybrid OOB.
    8th: Needed 9 iron, hit 8 long.
    11th: Needed 7 iron, hit 6 long.
    17th: Preferred 5 iron for punch out, only had 4, came up short as couldn't carry longer grass.
    18th: Would've preferred to hit soft 3, instead went hard 4 and slightly pulled.

I think the debate has well and truly ended.

9/18 GIR is OK, but could've and should've been much better.
    GolfMap

Actually one thing that I haven't mentioned so far is not only with the half-set do you limit your options from the tee and fairway, but you also cut down the options that you can use for chipping. I routinely use all clubs from 6 iron through to 58° for chipping. Taking out the 7i, 9i, and 58° hamstrings you in ways that hurt quite significantly too. And you can't just de-loft or up(?)-loft the in-between irons as that creates different bounces on the clubs and spins on the ball, creating greater inconsistencies.

I just cannot for the life of me see why anyone would CHOOSE to play this way and handicap yourself as badly before you've hit ball 1.
    GolfMap

well, lack of sleep, eating oily food the night before, and humid day took the toll on me yesterday; ended the 2nd day comp with 93/80 for the day;
    Seem to have lost my iron shots and a few 3putts didnt help the day either;

However, my handicap has dropped by 0.5 due to the semi good game on Saturday

Next week is Pennants time.....

Blog Entries

Actually one thing that I haven't mentioned so far is not only with the half-set do you limit your options from the tee and fairway, but you also cut down the options that you can use for chipping. I routinely use all clubs from 6 iron through to 58° for chipping. Taking out the 7i, 9i, and 58° hamstrings you in ways that hurt quite significantly too. And you can't just de-loft or up(?)-loft the in-between irons as that creates different bounces on the clubs and spins on the ball, creating greater inconsistencies.

I just cannot for the life of me see why anyone would CHOOSE to play this way and handicap yourself as badly before you've hit ball 1.
    I'm with you on this Lefty, unless it is a specific comp such as a 3 club event, it's a full bag for me everytime!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Yeah fair enough. I do understand your point of view.

Although my take is not necessarily the restriction of options but more so the ability to create options.

I’d say over the last 12 months carrying less and enjoying the walk has given me MUCH greater pleasure than shooting 36 points instead of 33 (if that is the measure).

There is joy in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Yeah fair enough. I do understand your point of view.

Although my take is not necessarily the restriction of options but more so the ability to create options.

I’d say over the last 12 months carrying less and enjoying the walk has given me MUCH greater pleasure than shooting 36 points instead of 33 (if that is the measure).

There is joy in the game.
    Golf is a game about the glass being half empty. Just like your bag.

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Thread Information