Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Swing weight - how does it affect your swing

Had a comparison of the 2 last night at the range, and found the M2 with the ADDI 6s was more head heavy compare to the Rogue with the Tensei White 60; trying to figure out if the swing weight is higher, and if it is due to the shaft or a heavier head.
    liking the M2 so far, can swing hard and still keep it under control and not flip my wrist on the downswing. Guess I feel like I am swing a sledge hammer
    While the Rogue, I found that if I keep it slow and steady, I hit it well, but if I were to pick up the pace, I find that I have a tendency to flip my wrist on the downswing and pull it left.

So far, i found the standard SW for Rogue is D2, while the 2016 M2 is D3....

Senior Member Major Winner

If you didn’t know you wouldn’t know.

yeah... time like this I wish I have a SW scale to make it easier...
    if I were to use the manual method of measuring the club weight, and find the balance point..,. where do I start to measure the club head to the balance point?

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    opps... got my measurement backward... forgot it was from the butt end, not from the head

thanks for the reminder

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

The Swing Weight scale was designed as an approximation for MOI measurement. For that sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. But unless you have a MOI Analyser, it is a cheaper next best option.

To me you are measuring the heft of the club. Some like it heavy, so like it light. In my experience, those with a quick transition and a fast/aggressive tempo seem to go better with a heftier set up. If you are more like Ernie and have one of those majestic slow transition and tempo swings, then lighter seems to suit better.

I MOI match all my clubs and I have found it has helped my consistency and my ability to change sets each round with little adjustment needed other than for specific characteristics e.g. offset, face angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    To me you are measuring the heft of the club. Some like it heavy, so like it light. In my experience, those with a quick transition and a fast/aggressive tempo seem to go better with a heftier set up. If you are more like Ernie and have one of those majestic slow transition and tempo swings, then lighter seems to suit better.
    I am not sure if I have a fast tempo, with the irons I go slow and steady, but with the longer clubs like the Driver/FW I find that if I try"control" the tempo, I seem to go everywhere, mostly left with the flippy wrist... seems to be an issue even when I was a kid playing...

Will try to measure the SW tonight and figure out if the difference in feel between the M2 and Rogue is caused by a difference in SW

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I wouldn’t have thought most guys on here would be that good to know the difference in 1 sw point.....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    I wouldn’t have thought most guys on here would be that good to know the difference in 1 sw point.....
    haha... yeah agree.... but I am not saying the difference between the 2 is 1 SW (thats just the stock number I found online)
    just that the M2 is "heavier"

Just like in motor racing lighter = go faster.
    The lighter and longer you make a club the more club head speed you can potentially generate. There’s only on problem with that in most of us aren’t skilled enough to control that speed.
    I totlaly agree with Daves in that a fast/aggressive transition works better with some heft.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Member Trainee Pro

Maybe lighter is not always better. Lighter may mean you can swing faster but there may not be as much energy transferred to the ball.

Someone once explained it to me this way....if you were involved in a car accident what would you prefer.....be hit by a mini doing 61 kph or a truck doing 59 kph? what is going to do more damage ? The truck, as it has more mass behind it will transfer more energy.

I’m sure there is a point for both cases where you can go to far either way where there is nothing to be gained.

I remember Cleveland went really light for a period of time but it didn’t appear to take off. PING still continues to use counter-balancing (heavier heads/high balance point shafts) with their woods.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Such much this.

I would be staggered if 5% of the golfers on this site could recognize the diff between D2 and D3.

The difference you are experiencing would be down to shaft profile me thinks, not to mention 2 entirely different heads, which more than likely have differing weights.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

SW is a poor indicator though - you could have a really heavy head, with a massively counterbalanced shaft, that swingweight's the same as a lightweight head and shaft combo.

A great reason why MOI is a better measurement than Swingweight.

Well... its an eye opener today. Ask the pro to measure the swing weights of the rogue and m2.... turns out the rogue was at D5 while the M2 was at E4

Total weight is 310g vs 327g

Guess i wasnt imagining it.

The plus of using the m2 today was left side was out of play today....

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Are they same length?

Yes same length

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

That is a big weight difference. My M2 heads both weigh 194g. I don't have a Rogue, but the Epic Head is 191g and the Epic SZ I had was 190g. So the weight diff appears to be shaft/grip related, unless someone has put a big weight in the M2.

Yeah the pro said it was probably from a shorten driver previously or the head weight has been changed to max weight.

I have a swingweight scale and have for a long, long time (thanks Tomson) and I know I have a preference for clubs on the heavier (and stiffer) side. However despite spending a lot of time getting swingweights accurate and in my last set having a few get a little on the 'too heavy' side, I honestly have no idea of the difference of the two clubs that are a swingweight or more out.

I think Dave is on the money in that it is, or was, a near enough science to MOI matching that it mattered for the really good players. A chopper like me is probably not going to benefit from MOI matching but knowing that a swingweight is near D4-ish is good enough. As long as it's not in the C's or E's, although even then I am sure I would swing them just fine (read: equally as shit).

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Well... its an eye opener today. Ask the pro to measure the swing weights of the rogue and m2.... turns out the rogue was at D5 while the M2 was at E4Total weight is 310g vs 327gGuess i wasnt imagining it.The plus of using the m2 today was left side was out of play today....
    I don’t think you can go on total weight of the club unless your using the exact same shaft and length etc...E5 is crazy heavy?

Aftermarket weights for the rogue arrived last week; took the 5g weight out and put the 17g (heaviest one in the set);
    So, assuming 2g per SW point, I should have brought the Rogue from D5 to E1 which is still now as much as the M2.

Does feel heavier, ball striking seems more solid; pulling left is less (unless I completely screwed up my swing) and pretty straight I have to admit. the open right shots seems to be less than the M2 and has a slight draw to the ball flight; The Tensei White seems to be launching even higher now, but the total distance seems to be good for my swing speed.

During the weekend, my playing partners were commenting how consistent my drive has been compare to the previous games; However, both days I start to get wonky usually the from middle of the back 9 holes when I am getting tired, then I would get wobbly with my drive.

Thread Information