Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2019 LPGA Tour

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default 2019 LPGA Tour

We need an LPGA thread at some point, so while the Australian Open is on seems a good time to start it.

They appear to be playing almost the same tees as we played when we visited Grange West a few years ago, so some fond memories of a terrific golf course could be generated as well.

I'm hoping the winner will have a local caddie, just to see if we can generate 5+ pages of discussion about it.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post

I'm hoping the winner will have a local caddie, just to see if we can generate 5+ pages of discussion about it.
    Is the prize money the same as Mayakoba?
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Junior Member Plays socially on a regular basis

Here are the final results of the ISPS Handa Women's Australian Open:

1- Nelly Korda - 17
    2- Jin Young Ko -15
    3- Wie-Ling Hsu -12

For more scores:
    http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2019/...lian-open.html

I don't know whether tonyslpgareport reported on it, but Minjee Lee finally made a breakthrough of sorts by winning today.

She is currently a top 5 player, but wasn't winning despite being in contention just about every week. Next step, a major, hopefully.

The LPGA is in an interesting position at the moment. The old guard of two years ago, being Lydia Ko, Lexi Thompson and Inbee Park, aren't at the top of their games any longer, and you could include Minjee Lee in the latest wave of stars, with Ariya J, Brooke Henderson, Jin Young Ko and Sung Hyun Park. So majors are possibly easier to win right now than they were a few years ago.

The Ladies Tour doesn't seem to quite work the same way as the men's. While people like DJ and Justin Rose stay at the top of their games for years, the LPGA is full of shooting stars who dominate for two or three years and then fall behind. So I reckon its Minjee's time right now.

The other interesting point of the LA event was the course. It looked fantastic, and got big praise from some of the architecture snobs. I wonder whether it looked so good because the Ladies don't really play a power game, so they were playing a style of golf closer to what the architect intended ( or what the snobs think the architect intended). Whatever, but the course looked and played great, and an Aussie won, so happy days all round.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

Just to help you non GCA fans increase your knowledge, here is a short vid about Wiltshire CC talking about and showing the design.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DfHwtj-0coI

Interesting comment on defence of 5 hours 30 rounds at PGA tour events by one of the pros. Can’t find the quote but essentially it was

If you expect us to play 7600-7800 yard courses, wait on second shots on par 5’s and putt on super slick greens....of course it is going to take a long time! Faldo was lamenting old times yesterday on the Pga telecast when playing a 505 yard par 4, both pros in a group hit 9 irons into the green. He said “where have all the 4 irons gone”!
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepilot View Post
    “where have all the 4 irons gone”!
    Just to keep the reply on topic, I'll say that in the LPGA the 4 iron is in the museum. Almost no LPGA player uses a 4 iron nowadays.

The real answer for the PGA is that the 4 iron gets used quite a lot, as the second shot club into par 5's, or sometimes as tee shot on 250 yard par 3's.

Also to stay on topic, the comment does not in any way explain why the LPGA often play 5hr rounds. In my view, one of the true causes is in fact related to the super slick greens. Almost every player (LPGA and PGA), marks, cleans and replaces their ball on every putt over 1 foot. They often read the 1 footer as well. All of that takes a lot of time.
    Last edited by jimandr; 30th April 2019 at 09:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Jim,
    Agree but unless there are tour wide directions/penalties, a player who speeds up just runs into the next group waiting on the next tee. Loved the telecast from Wiltshire (because the course is interesting) but the pace of play is frustrating to view!

It is sadly ingrained/coached in most young players. A mate played with a young gun recently in melb. This young guy is a line on ball guy. He putts up to 12”. His routine is to mark, read, place, line up, reread/check line, practice stroke from behind, address...then putt. All for a 12” putt. When asked why, the reply was “my coach demands that I stick to my routine regardless!!”.
    Gamers

It might be appropriate that the last LPGA comment related to slow play, because I noticed something in the LPGA major today that I thought was amusing, and, it turns out, relevant to the previous discussion.

On the 8th tee on the coverage today, Hannah Green had her hair in a plait. On the 7th green, her hair was in a ponytail. So she had time to plait her hair (or get it done for her) while waiting to play on the par 3.

The tourney is of course also noteworthy because she is Australian and leading a major. She shot 4 under while hitting 9 GIR, and she has never won an LPGA tournament, so you'd think it isn't sustainable and she won't win, but it gives us an additional reason to watch.

Another aspect of slight interest is that they are playing the same course (Hazeltine) that hosted the last Ryder Cup (or was it the one before?).

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

The RC before, last one was France.

Was it a Dutch or French plait ?

Congrats to Hannah Green for winning the LPGA Championship by one shot.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Go Hannah! Go Ash!
    How good are the Aussie girls atm👍

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Great win for Hannah.

I watched the Golf Channel analysis each day and Aaron Olberhouser said each day that she'd crash and burn the following day given the highly ranked chasers.

You should ping him on Twitter to ask how his predictions worked out ........

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    You should ping him on Twitter to ask how his predictions worked out ........
    Don’t be that guy

Member Club member who plays rain, hail, shine

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Don’t be that guy
    Very clever

Wouldn't waste my time on him

This was one of those rare times when I was glad I already knew the result before watching the afternoon replay. When the coverage started, H Green was recording her second bogey in a row, and without knowing the outcome, you would swear a heart=breaking choke was on the cards.

But she did what she did for all of the last three rounds, by playing overall good golf and holing putts when they were important.

Good for her, and for Australian womens golf. Purely judging by the way she handled the win and by the way she speaks to the media, she seems like a nice person, too.

Will it be a career defining breakthrough for her though? I think it should be. Even though 22 is about average by LPGA standards, she isn't experienced at the highest level, so it should be a learning experience she can draw on for the future. She knows she is good enough to win tournaments, so she should keep doing it. But Pernilla Lindberg and Danielle Kang haven't suddenly become better players after winning their major, so you never know.

Are my WA friends claiming a connection to Hannah Green, and therefore taking credit for her success?

The WGC isn't on Foxtel, and I don't have much interest in the B Grader's in Reno, or the Seniors, so the LPGA will get the bulk of my golf viewing attention this week.

I think this is first time I've seen the Evian on a reasonably hard and fast course. It is usually target golf on dart board greens. What I saw was quite interesting, including some good players chopping it up.

I didn't see any of Lydia Ko, but it seems she chopped it up too. It is difficult to understand how someone so dominant has seemingly lost her golf talent altogether. I blame her PXG clubs.

Blog Entries

and Leadbetter!
    Gamers

She would be winning with a good set of Spalding Top Flites and 50 trips to Macca's under her belt.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

A Lydia Ko story hitting the news

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/th...08-p52ezd.html

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

This is as close as we’ll get to a Solheim Cup thread I suppose.

It’s almost handshakes at 11 with the Korda sisters doing a number on Masson and Ewart-Shafoff.

Not sure there are many ways to play a basic chip but she has worked her way through 20 already. 😀

Great Solhiem Cup in the end. All down to the final putt on 18 by Petterson.

Good to sit and watch the 3 days play. Some good ball striking but also terrible bunker and chipping seen.
    Brilliant commentary as per usual when it comes to european tour. Yanks need to seriously take a lesson on how to
    give good commentary.
    Mainly the fairway bunker play probably most annoyed me. Only saw two times that the girls actually got out with
    distance and not hit the lip or face.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Well played God!

and Cheyenne.

Have we seen the last of Michelle Wie as a touring pro?

Thread Information