Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Default Exotics XCG7 Beta musings

Had mine for 2 rounds now, first wet second dry. Smoked it first round, never going to leave the bag. Second round it was good, not brilliant. I have the Matrix Red 6Q3 in XS.

I have read a bit about this and how it suits so many people, obviously we are all a bit dubious about this but are also intrigued .

I do not think this is any longer than any other driver out there, it is long, just not OMG it is super duper long I got 500m more out of it. It is the best sounding driver I have hit for a very long time, to me it sounds a bit like the FT-5 Tour. It looks the goods, really sleek looking driver with a matt black finish and it sits really nice. The biggest positive I found with this driver so far is the consistency in ball flight and shot shape, I am getting a mid-high flight with a left to right shape, all the time...this driver just refuses to go left. Mishits for me are slices, something I attribute to the 3 degree open face at 9.5 degrees:

EXOTICS XCG7 BETA ADJUSTABLE DRIVER SPECIFICATIONS
    HOSEL SETTING LOFT LIE FACE ANGLE GRAPHITE LENGTH FLEX
    8.5 8.5° 57° 4° OPEN 44.75" L,A,R,S,X
    9U 9.0° 58° SQUARE 44.75" L,A,R,S,X
    9.5 9.5° 57° 3° OPEN 44.75" L,A,R,S,X
    10U 10.0° 58° 1° CLOSED 44.75" L,A,R,S,X
    10.5 10.5° 57° 1° OPEN 44.75" L,A,R,S,X
    11U 11.0° 59° 2° CLOSED 44.75" L,A,R,S,X
    11.5 11.5° 58° SQUARE 44.75" L,A,R,S,X
    12 12.0° 59° SQUARE 44.75" L,A,R,S,X

Who really needs 3 degrees open? - Think I might go 10.5 to trial it. 9.5 degrees at 3 degrees open gives an effective loft of 6.5 degrees when you square it up at impact, is this correct?

I think there is definite potential for this driver, obviously matching the shaft to your swing will be beneficial.

In summary:

Length: good, consistent
    Accuracy: excellent
    Ball flight: mid-mid/high
    Shot shape: fade
    Mishit: slice

Not sure it is longer than my R1v2, will give it a go. Will be interested in other opinions as they start infiltrating Ozgolfer bags

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Glad to hear your initial impressions mate - I am still on the look out for one and already have my intended shaft (no homo) for it. From my test day at Pure I felt the same way about how it looked at address as well as the sound/feel. Keep my informed of your thoughts as you give it more game time.

Blog Entries

Righto, 4 rounds in and a little bit of tuning has this thing going fairly well. I have it set to 10.5 and it seems to have decreased the left to right shape somewhat. I am finding the distance to be good, as long as most other 'long' drivers I have used. The one thing I have not had with this driver so far is that drive that goes significantly longer than normal shots, I am not sure what this means...maybe I have not hit that exact shot in 4 rounds or the face is set up to give more consistent distance.

I still think this is a great driver, I am probably going to move the R1v2 on...but we will see

Anyone got one yet? - even the non-Beta model? I hear they are pretty good too.

Anyone got the XCG7B fairway wood?

I tested the beta fairway at PPGL during my visit and found that it looks and sounds as awesome as the driver does - however it was only slightly longer than my 910 when struck out of the middle. I will probably get one simply due to the fact I like how it sits down by the ball and the sound it makes.

Pretty certain Scifisicko has the beta fairway so hopefully he pops in and gives his 2c.

Senior Member Major Winner

There's a good as new used Driver on Evilbay that's been re-listed for the 3rd time now I think as there have been no bids.
    I was watching and contemplating but have Slidered in a different direction now.

Edit that. May have been sold in the last hour or pulled as I can't find it now.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 20th March 2014 at 06:27 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

$369 is dear?

That's what I thought and many others too as it's now either the 3rd or 4th time it's been re-listed.
    I was watching and hoping re-listings would start at a lower price. Spent my money on the JDM 430 instead.

You can get a new one from the states for around the same or a couple dollars more. Regular shaft may be keeping people away too.

W.I.T.B

I saw Dangals Exotics & not sure if it is this particular head or they all look like it but it sat horribly closed
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

I think it is more this head and it does look a bit closed when just resting on the ground however once I am holding it at address it is fine - and as Stealth can attest I was hitting it quite well at lynwood yesterday. I am looking forward to testing it out on the course..

The one I used at the PPGL fittings didn't sit anywhere near that closed.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I found exactly the same . I had a "real" 6Q3 kicking around so I put that in just in case. It made no difference, in fact if anything the TEE version felt more stable in the tip and hit it lower. I loved it to begin with. Main thing i liked was the flat ball flight and the fact that i went round after round without losing one left, it was pretty amazing really, but i suspect that is more than anything a feature of the red tie. Agree it isnt any longer than anything else hit well, but it is very forgiving and consistent. In the end, the novelty of missing fairways right wore off and i started to miss the draw and the flexibility to shape shots so I sold it to Dangals.

Ive used their fairways since the CB1. Put a decent shaft in them and they are awesome. I have some xcg7b fairways and hybrids. The 3W still does swapsies with the CB1 (with a heavy whiteboard). The CB1 slightly outhits the xcg7b but I find it a little one dimensional...more like a second driver. XCG7b is easier to shape but also easier to lose left/right. They used to be a mile ahead of the other fairway woods but i suspect not so much these days. The SLDR 3 wood goes pretty well head to head on the LM (with the heavy speeder). Every time a new TEE 3w comes out I put it up against the CB1. Nothing outhits it. I only bought the xcg7 because the CB1 has hit a million balls and looks like the dog ate it.
    Nike Vapor Flex Accra Tour Z 85 ST
    TEE E8b 15* Whiteboard 100
    TEE XCG7b 19* Accra XH105 Tour Red
    j36 CB 3-9 SPB
    Scratch 48b SPB
    Vokey 54, 60 C Taper
    Boccieri F3-DF Heavy
    #3 soft bristle Aldi special
    Chromesoft

Blog Entries

Still got mine, anyone else rocking one? I tuned mine to 10.5 to get the straightest ball flight, still does not go left and is long as other drivers...left to right still the stock flight and does go right on mishits. Still got the 6Q3 xs in there, anyone tried other shafts?
    Last edited by live4golf; 16th May 2014 at 09:19 AM.

prior to snapping my am I was loving mine with my AD BB - now it is just sitting there mocking me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dangals View Post
    prior to snapping my am I was loving mine with my AD BB - now it is just sitting there mocking me
    ADBB....yum

That same one is still listed on Evilbay. Dreamer still wants $349 after over a dozen re-listings.

W.I.T.B

Dreamer still hasn't sold this yet.
    Now down to $299 after all this time.

I've never sold anything on evilbay. Does it cost to list if you don't sell?

W.I.T.B

No they only gouge you when you sell.

Anyone still on? Yall still play?
    I got me one! XCG7 Beta w/ red tie. Its fantastic. What a sound, big booming launches. i am excited to dial it in. Currently in the default setting of 9.5*. Changing this immediately to the 10.5 then 11.5 then the 12 and maybe try the 9U for fun, see what fits best at square. Its a great looking driver, Exotics in general. GG to you guys, GL out there.

Anyone try the closing face with 10U or 11U? will these give max distance with arch going left to right?
    Last edited by MetalTexan; 5th October 2022 at 03:40 PM. Reason: incorrect degrees factoids

11.5 is for me, slowed my swing and booming the ball onto the fairway. i tried the 12 and the face is dramatically curved, i tried the 10U and looked nice but didnt connect. didnt try any further open setting, only really square. having a great time with these clubs, irons are my $^#%. i love them, GG

Thread Information