Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Buying from US Ebay sellers. GST issue

Has anyone encountered this? Something I am looking at is going to cost me an extra 10% in GST which on top of postage makes it undoable.

Is there any way round this that people know of?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by sven365 View Post
    Has anyone encountered this? Something I am looking at is going to cost me an extra 10% in GST which on top of postage makes it undoable.

Is there any way round this that people know of?
    Has been the case since 1/7/2018, Thank Gerry Harvey for all his whining about it. I suppose you could set up an account with a Freight Forwarder, buy in the US and then get it re-shipped to you. But I would think you are technically still liable for it, and I suspect the Freight Forwarders have a legal obligation with it as well. If Customs decide to pursue you, you could possibly face penalties on top of the tax.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I thought that only applies to new items, could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by olddogmike View Post
    I thought that only applies to new items, could be wrong though.
    I am pretty sure it applies to both new and used, there is no distinction that I am aware of. eBay certainly applies it that way.

Of course GST has always applied, but there used to be an exemption for total purchases less than $1,000 including freight.

Senior Member Major Winner

Who collects the GST?

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Who collects the GST?
    The seller, as I understand it, or the selling platform they use e.g. eBay does it for its sellers. Unless the Buyer is registered for GST, then there is a different process I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I am pretty sure it applies to both new and used, there is no distinction that I am aware of. eBay certainly applies it that way.

Of course GST has always applied, but there used to be an exemption for total purchases less than $1,000 including freight.
    Does Ebay just apply it? Any way round it? If I buy it from the guy off of eBay as an example and ask he sends to me as a gift?

The seller, as I understand it, or the selling platform they use e.g. eBay does it for its sellers. Unless the Buyer is registered for GST, then there is a different process I believe.
    Interesting

Does Ebay just apply it? Any way round it? If I buy it from the guy off of eBay as an example and ask he sends to me as a gift?
    You could try, but it is Tax Evasion, so is it really worth that risk?

As soon as you select Australia, the gst will be applied, and collected, by eBay.

You can get a us freight forwarding address, but most freight forwarders also charge the gst as well.

You could try, but it is Tax Evasion, so is it really worth that risk?
    No obviously not, just want sure what the options were really.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    As soon as you select Australia, the gst will be applied, and collected, by eBay.

You can get a us freight forwarding address, but most freight forwarders also charge the gst as well.
    Cool - thanks

Interesting. buying on eBay is surely different though, isn't it? I mean you are buying from someone rather than a business?

Obviously not looking to take the ATO on, on this one, but it is a thought..

Interesting. buying on eBay is surely different though, isn't it? I mean you are buying from someone rather than a business?

I thought the same. I reckon the fact eBay isn’t involved in the transaction has been Long-established and I’m not sure what the ATO could/would about a golf shop in Texas not charging and remitting GST.

Having said that, they must have some pretty tight legislation for eBay to think they have to do it.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Has been the case since 1/7/2018, Thank Gerry Harvey for all his whining about it. I suppose you could set up an account with a Freight Forwarder, buy in the US and then get it re-shipped to you. But I would think you are technically still liable for it, and I suspect the Freight Forwarders have a legal obligation with it as well. If Customs decide to pursue you, you could possibly face penalties on top of the tax.
    If you do the above your item will be stuck at Australian customs until the freight forwarder can show evidence of the GST payment, you won't get around it

You have to remember that overseas businesses doing less than $75k trade with Australia don't need to register to collect GST. It means that if your goods come from a non registered supplier, are below the $1000 threshold, there will be no obligation for you to pay it, and customs won't hold it up and chase you for it.

There has been no info I have yet seen that Customs have any interest, or plans, to collect the GST at the border for items below $1000.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

There’s no gst on an overseas gift. What would happen if you bought off golfwrx? It’s a private transaction.

My son has been buying soccer gear overseas and no gst has applied to date, no holdup at import either.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I thought the same. I reckon the fact eBay isn’t involved in the transaction has been Long-established and I’m not sure what the ATO could/would about a golf shop in Texas not charging and remitting GST.

Having said that, they must have some pretty tight legislation for eBay to think they have to do it.
    You have to remember that overseas businesses doing less than $75k trade with Australia don't need to register to collect GST. It means that if your goods come from a non registered supplier, are below the $1000 threshold, there will be no obligation for you to pay it, and customs won't hold it up and chase you for it.

There has been no info I have yet seen that Customs have any interest, or plans, to collect the GST at the border for items below $1000.
    It does appear that the under $1000 GST collection is catching transactions that are not normally GST taxed in Oz e.g. private individuals selling 2nd hand goods on eBay, Gumtree, local Classified etc vs "forced" collection on platforms like eBay. I presume Amazon temporarily withdrew from selling into Oz because of it? Though more because they did not have the IT right than any protest about it.

Private transactions such as buying off WRX probably won't see the issue arise, as mentioned. You would be unlucky if Border Security intercepted such packages and even more unlucky if they decided to pursue you. I don't know that they have the authority in such transactions, and they would have much higher priorities in any case. The OP was specifically about US eBay though, so I can't see how you can beat the system unless you somehow go off line.

I have had GST applied to OZ eBay transactions where the seller is a "Re-Deliverer" under the legislation i.e. the Seller is Oz based but the item actually ships from OS.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    There’s no gst on an overseas gift. What would happen if you bought off golfwrx? It’s a private transaction.

My son has been buying soccer gear overseas and no gst has applied to date, no holdup at import either.
    No dramas if you buy off Golfwrx as the seller is unlikely to meet the $75k sales to Aus/yr requirement.

I am not so sure there is no GST on an overseas gift. The item still has a taxable value, even if it cost you nothing.

The good old ebay GST has certainly had a big effect on hoeing. Less being bought from over there leading to higher prices and less availability here for starters particularly given our dollar is down. When it was good it was great.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

How good were the days of USD$1=AUD$1

Very.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I am not so sure there is no GST on an overseas gift. The item still has a taxable value, even if it cost you nothing.
    Ok cool, best not say anything if you’re not sure

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Ok cool, best not say anything if you’re not sure
    Well, I got charged GST on an item my Sister sent me for nix as a gift via my freight forwarder.... So while I got charged, I am not sure of the wording of the legislation. If she sent it direct, no GST would apply.

Better?

Thread Information