Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Senior Member Major Winner

Default Sun Feb 17th 7am Highercombe is Booked

I've booked 2 tee times for Sun Feb 17th with 4 Carts for 7am.
    There's a group that have all carts booked out at 11am so it had to be 7am in order to make sure the carts are back on time.

1. Hatch
    2. Waz
    3. Flavzz
    4. Nadg63
    5. Thecollective
    6. Hardpan if not selected for Pennant

Brief discussion after Thaxted round and 2 courses came up in discussion that Some hadn’t played before in Penfield on Highercombe.
    Yes I know, not exactly A class but somewhere you’ve never played before is not always a bad thing.
    I’ve done some searching on the web and Penfield looks to be a no go as it’s only open to Visitors after 11am on Sunday. I think I’m right in saying we much prefer the early hit offs?
    The web has no restrictions on Highercombe but does say to book in.

Looking for expressions of interest in Highercombe for Feb. What dates suits the majority?
    Sun the 24th no good for me and 17th must be early as a late one would be out.

Failing Highercombe would could go to Mount Plesant?
    Last edited by Hatchman; 12th February 2019 at 09:21 PM.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    I think I'll change it up.Tossing up between Titleist 962 DCI Irons and Jetspeed Driver or the Cobra Tour Model II 1984 Blades and origonal Callaway Big Bertha S2H2 Driver and War Bird 3 wood. Seeing as your taking the blades out for a run I'll bring the Cobras out.
    All good choices! Looking forward to it.
    WITB
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 65g S
    5 Wood: Ping G425 w Tensei Orange AV Raw 75g S
    4 hybrid: Ping G w Alta R
    Irons: 5-PW Ping i210 w PX LZ 5.5
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50-10*, SM8 58-10*
    Putter: 2022 Bettinardi BB-8W, 35 inch
    Bag: Jones Original Carry Bag

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I'm keen for a hit, but there's probably a 10% chance of me not showing up (I've got a 3 week old baby at home that doesn't always sleep that well). Is that a problem? How does this usually work? Pay on the day?

BYU: I’m sure we can fit you in, just ensure you don’t miss the tee time and everything should be dandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pay on the day

I'm free of pennant duties but I've got to be in Glenelg by 1:00pm. So, I'll have to leave soon after we finish.

Ok, great, thanks. I'll be the well before 7.

Ok, great, thanks. I'll be there well before 7.

Default Sun Feb 17th 7am Highercombe is Booked

Apologies I had to dash gentlemen, and shout out kudos to Hard Pan for returning the cart.

Course was ‘interesting’ to put it nicely

Greens were nice and lush, but as far as compliments will leave it at that

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Apologies I had to dash gentlemen, and shout out kudos to Hard Pan for returning the cart.

Course was ‘interesting’ to put it nicely

Greens were nice and lush, but as far as compliments will leave it at that

Yep, 'interesting' is probably being a bit kind! For instance: on the 3rd, I hit what was thought to be the best drive of the group up the left hand side of the fairway, (as instructed), but when we got there the ball was nowhere to be seen. Was eventually found nearly all the way across the adjacent fairway to the right - I ended up having the worst second shot by far! (similar happened on the 2nd hole too following my second shot)

So glad you advised hiring carts TC - no way my iffy knees would have held out walking the course, jeez it's bloody hilly!

Still had a great morning though, hit some good shots, and was a great social outing with good company.

Also, good to meet our newest SA Ozgolf member, BobsYourUncle who ventured out for a hit.

Cheers guys, better start thinking about where to go next month!?

Quote Originally Posted by nadg63 View Post
    Yep, 'interesting' is probably being a bit kind! For instance: on the 3rd, I hit what was thought to be the best drive of the group up the left hand side of the fairway, (as instructed), but when we got there the ball was nowhere to be seen. Was eventually found nearly all the way across the adjacent fairway to the right - I ended up having the worst second shot by far! (similar happened on the 2nd hole too following my second shot)So glad you advised hiring carts TC - no way my iffy knees would have held out walking the course, jeez it's bloody hilly! Still had a great morning though, hit some good shots, and was a great social outing with good company.Also, good to meet our newest SA Ozgolf member, BobsYourUncle who ventured out for a hit.Cheers guys, better start thinking about where to go next month!?
    As I've played HC a few times I knew what to expect and really enjoyed it. Weather was perfect. The bad breaks are half the fun I put the Titleist Tour Model Blades in the bag and really enjoyed hitting them. Managed to make a couple birdies in between snap hooking my driver into the trees. What about Echunga next month? I've never played it.

Echunga old nine is the antithesis of Highercombe - dead flat!
    The new nine (20 years old) is quite hilly, and has more meorable holes.

Benje

ps Highercombe isn't great when the ball is running. As you found.

The fairways were dreadful to say the least. I thought the flat disc greens played well and rolled true. Some better holes in the early back nine at the bottom of the hill. Also found some nice small patches of fescue down there, a refreshing change to kike-hardpan.

A great setting with wonderful scenery. Houghton is on the shortlist as a retirement location for myself and the wife

Benje:

Re: Echunga

Is the new nine the back nine? I enjoyed that better than the front, more open with room to play position off the tee, the course is pretty boggy in winter.

The hilly nine is the new nine.
    I think Murray Crafter laid it out in the late 1990's.
    Some interesting shots on land that is challenging.

When the new nine gets wet, the old nine is likely to be under water - think of 'The Levels'. No drainage, not streams, just flat ground.
    I didn't know there was a place as flat as Echunga old nine and Echunga oval in the Adelaide hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Benje View Post
    The hilly nine is the new nine. I think Murray Crafter laid it out in the late 1990's.Some interesting shots on land that is challenging.When the new nine gets wet, the old nine is likely to be under water - think of 'The Levels'. No drainage, not streams, just flat ground.I didn't know there was a place as flat as Echunga old nine and Echunga oval in the Adelaide hills.
    Sounds like the right time of year to play it then.
    WITB

Thanks for the hit today fellas. Nice to meet (even though it was brief), with Flavzz and BYU. Four pars, one birdie and wiped the rest big time. For me, if it wasn't on the fairway or green, it was down the hill and far away every time.

I played Echunga 18 months or so ago and the fairways on the back 9 were schmick. No so much of a fan of the front 9. Too many blind tee shots and unfair penalties for the average golfer. The worst being the huge gum tree in the middle of the third fairway that will stymie your approach to the green if you hit a decent drive (which in itself is difficult because the only option is a draw with driver or straight short iron).

The tree appears a little to the right of the fairway in the above photo but the fairway slopes to the right so your ball will probably be to the right of the fairway when it stops. If you aim to the left of the tree you'll find there is no shot from the left side of the green.

I think that that hole was a par 5 originally, but is now a par 3 followed by a par 4.

9 used to be a short par 3 in front of the clubhouse, but that seems to be replaced by the par 3 second now.

The hole with the tree also had out of bounds to the left - it was a real challenge (not your typical challenge). Quirky.

I expect the rainfall and soil isn't conducive to low cost bunkers, so other 'hazards' have been used to fit the needs of Echunga.

Only played at Echunga GC the once many years ago so would be up for a re-visit! (and as mentioned above this is the time of year to go there prior to it becoming a bog!)

I seem to remember that the time I played there was only one bunker on the who;e course!? (hence the tongue in cheek reminder at the Pro Shop about having replaced 'the' rake correctly)

Thanks for hit again everyone and good to met another addition the the S.A ranks in BYU. Hope your able to join us again for some more outings.
    Having been a member of Highercombe for 3 years back in the mid 2000’s the state of the course has gone backwards from what I remember. The fairways and sourounds are in poor condition compared to what they used to be. Obvious signs the Club might be running a tight bottom line with maintenance and water.
    As for the golf. The course dished up its usual hit it to one spot and find your ball 20-30m away from that spot down the hill. That can be little funny and quirky once in a round but when it happens a fair bit or turns what was good drive on the perfect line into no shot to the holes it becomes not so enjoyable.
    Have to play the not so good occasionally to appreciate the good courses.
    Last edited by Hatchman; 19th February 2019 at 08:35 AM.

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    hit it to one spot and find your ball 20-30m away from that spot down the hill.
    I reckon 20-30m is an understatement. In our group we had at least half a dozen that deviated more, particularly on the severely blind driving holes

Mt Lofty / Stirling shares this same issue. Flaggy a bit the same but not as bad. The problem being when you have patchy kike combined with a hard pan base you're gonna get flyers going everywhere in all directions.

Its funny how 15 years ago (last time I played it) I never thought the course was this bad. How times change

I was being generous with the 20-30m.
    The extra long run off is a summer thing and particularly worse in dry summers.

W.I.T.B

Thanks for hit yesterday. First time at Highercombe.
    The course is different. I thought Mt. Osmond had some ups and downs. Haha.
    As usual the company was good. 5 pars, many bogeys and a few wipes. Wasn't really counting.
    It was great to play a different course but no need to be rushing back, just glad we had carts.
    My swing is getting worse everytime I play. Maybe time for taking a putter off the tee to get some distance.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Yes, thanks for welcoming me as a newbie ozgolfer.

I didn't mind the course - sure needs some rain, but a nice setting for a round of golf. Probably helps that I didn't suffer as much as some of you did from bad rolls/bounces (and on the 17th I wanted some more roll, can't believe my drive didn't roll back on to the fairway).

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYourUncle View Post
    Yes, thanks for welcoming me as a newbie ozgolfer.I didn't mind the course - sure needs some rain, but a nice setting for a round of golf. Probably helps that I didn't suffer as much as some of you did from bad rolls/bounces (and on the 17th I wanted some more roll, can't believe my drive didn't roll back on to the fairway).
    You played well mate. Nearly driving the green on that uphill par 4 was a highlight.
    WITB

Thread Information