Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Default Your Top 5 of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Year to date top 5; that could be another thread (for people to just list courses and not make any comment).
    With a few days to go, it might be time for a new thread as per AndyPs request

What were your Top 5 courses or golf experiences for 2019?

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default Your Top 5 of 2019

The Ozgolf Barny trip was as is always a super trip, both courses outstanding.
    Won the Wednesday arvo money comp with the old boys at the Doon by a solitary point, returning +$15 for the year and averaging 30pts.
    But my highlight was winning the TCC weekend shooting my handicap or better at both courses at Moonah, outstanding place for a weekend!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Top 5 Courses of 2019

1. Barnbougle Dunes
    2. Barnbougle Lost Farm
    3. Angkor Golf Resort
    4. Narooma GC
    5. Port Kembla GC

Honourable mention to Shoalhaven Heads. It exceeded expectations dramatically.

Top 5 Memories and Experiences

1. Vic Champs @ Bridport Hotel. Awesome crew made a hilarious night.
    2. Barnbougle second lap vs Courty. Matchplay, off whatever forward tee looked more fun.
    3. Putting it in the face of the big bunker on 4 at Barney and getting out without breaking anything
    4. Two South coast golf trips with my best mates.
    5. Winning the Irish Cup at Royal Canberra composite although it included the meh 9

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Major Winner

Vic Champs

Top 5 courses for the year (NPO):
    1. Cape Wickham
    2. Barny Dunes
    3. Lost Farm
    4. Barwon Heads
    5. Elanora

Top 5 golf experiences for the year:
    1. Playing A grade pennant, and going down to a 2 marker 2&1
    2. Getting my cap into solid singles, and playing plenty of rounds off singles.
    3. Joining RQ
    4. Trip to King Island with Peps, Sluggo, and Johnnnnno
    5. Trip to Barny for a birthday bash with Timah

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

1. Par round at beacy
    2. Cap down to lowest 5,4
    3. Board event win - founders cup , individual handicap matchplay won final 4 n 3 giving 10 shots
    4. Lowest score at Warragul 74 ( 3 over) lowest 9 at Warragul-1 front nine done on different days
    5. Watching another match in founders cup descend into a near punch up on the 13 th green

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Top 5 experiences

1. 68 at Liverpool of back markers
    2. 67 at Tenterfield including 2 eagles
    3. Watching Presidents Cup at Royal Melbourne
    4. Visiting the Open course at Royal Portrush 3 months before Open and knocking back a free game cause family was in car
    5. Visiting K club and seeing the Ryder Cup memorabilia

Top 5 courses

1. Wangjuntr Highland Course
    2. Bonville Golf Resort
    3. The Cut WA
    4. Wangjuntr Jungle Course
    5. Gardners Run

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

1. Shooting 75 (39pts) first time out at Royal Hobart, recording an Uncivil War victory against a local committee member in the process
    2. The second 18 at Barny on the Sunday (matchplay against Spud)... golfing nirvana!
    3. Playing Ratho Farm with hickories and gutta-percha balls
    4. Finally getting on to Kingston Heath
    5. Holing out from 100m for an eagle during the FNQ Open at Atherton GC
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Courses
    1. Barnbougle Dunes
    2. Barnbougle Lost Farm
    3. Metropolitan
    4. Kingston Heath
    5. Woodlands

Experiences
    1. Arvo round at Barny Dunes - the course, the company, persimmons, mixing up the tees, making up holes. What more could you want? (and no, sitting on the deck drinking Christmas in a glass isn’t a decent alternative).
    2. Presidents cup - final day fade out hurt a bit, but what an experience
    3. Uncivil war - the union buried the confederate scum yet again, I won my match, Bushy and I won our two ball, I (unknowingly) beat Benno in the mystery fireball and won the daily comp. Then got stuck into the rum and spent unwisely in the Calcutta. Great, great day.
    4. Champs weekend. All of it. Bridport Hotel on the Sat night was a standout and encapsulates everything great about the event. Taking home a better trophy than 2018 didn’t hurt either.
    5. Magnetic island - 9 holes with a few mates in the middle of a boys trip. The weirdest hire set I’ve ever seen, a beer a hole, cracking banter and not a care in the world. Perfect.

Honorable mention - Big Cat getting it done at the Masters. Needle certainly moved.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Courses:

1. Barny Dunes: such an amazing golf course, so many different shots you can play, made it even more fun using a cheap Wilson Ultra golf ball, I really regret trying an armlock putter for the first time during this trip. Can't wait to do it all again next year
    2. Barwon Heads: this course surprised me more than I expected, many dislike the changes but personally I really like the new bunkering, amazing club, pity the female members let the friendly vibe down by not returning a simple friendly 'good morning' after my visit to the pro shop. First impressions last a lifetime
    3. Royal Hobart: first time on this course, has a lot of potential and I really look forward to seeing it again in March 2020
    4. Tea Tree Gully: my new club, some impressive changes are happening particularly with #9. I cannot wait until it grows in and becomes playable again as a short Par #5
    5. Mount Compass: despite having disappointing greens during champs weekend this course continues to improve. The new owner has really made a difference particularly with the shrub removal on #10 and the LHS tree gone on #17.

Experiences:
    1. Playing a very competitive Ferrins in matchplay at RH, only to 4 putt the last green to lose. Matchplay is not really my cup of tea but was a lot of fun playing someone who is so competitively wired. I look forward to one day having another match and hopefully getting my handicap down low enough for it to be played off the stick.
    2. Vic Champs trip. An amazing experience playing Barny / Lost Farm. I also enjoyed RH as noted above
    3. Accommodating Jono, Ferrins and Mr Red for SA Champs. Was a lot of fun. I hope we can do it again in the coming years.
    4. Playing Nairne Golf Club for the first time in the peak of winter. I reckon it was about 5 degrees when we teed off. Was a real experience with great company as always
    5. Having a round with Webster at Port Fairy early morning on a Monday, we had the course to ourselves in perfect conditions. I enjoyed watching 'The Messiah' somewhat effortlessly plot his ball around the course, no wonder he has multiple club champs. Recommended leather grips to me and since switching to Grip Masters has been a complete game changer particularly with my shorter clubs.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Did a big trip this year to the UK and US, when we were travelling we ended up splitting courses into, where would you like to play and where would you like to be a member. The latter I guess encompasses something about the experience rather than being all about the golf course. Best 5 experiences, no particular order:

1. Royal Lytham and St Annes: everything about the place is first class, brilliant golf course, we stayed in the on site accommodation, ate/drank in the clubhouse, really nice little town as well. Finished the last 4 in 2 over so would have won an Open, haha.
    2. Somerset Hills (New Jersey): starting to move up the rankings, Tillinghast design, just a fantastic place to play golf, we had the course to ourselves.
    3. NGLA: one of my favourite courses, its fun golf, had a great day with our hosts, left the club near midnight in dubious condition......perhaps vodka isn't for me
    4. Prestwick: was a typical Scottish day when we arrived, by the time we teed off it was still raining, birdied the first and we never got another drop. Some amazing greens, an architect would get shot these days but a really fun place to play golf. Was my highlight in Scotland and we played at Turnberry and Troon.
    5. Oakmont CC: it's probably too hard for me these days but a great challenge, played with some great hosts who guided us around, probably fits into the play not be a member but it feels like a proper golfers club. Sat on a balcony after the round, met heaps of mates of our hosts, on the piss talking about golf, great afternoon and evening. I like places where people just pull up a chair , grab a drink and have a chat.
    Last edited by PerryGroves; 27th December 2019 at 11:35 AM.

1. Finally playing Barny Dunes so that when people tell me that "I'll love it", I can confidently tell them to **** off and die in a fire.

2. Nothing else matters after point 1.

5. Hitting the flag for albatross on 6 @ CGC. Without doubt the closest I'll ever come to the full alby.
    Ping G430 MAX 9° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 MAX 15° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Ping G430 Hybrid 20.5° - Tour Alta CB Stiff
    Srixon ZX7 4-PW - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 S300
    Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50°, 54°, 58°
    Custom Lajosi DD201 - 390g head
    GolfMap

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

1. Barnbougle trip with the OzGolf crew by far the best of the year

2. Shooting my first comp round in level par with a 7 or 8 clubs

3. Playing RQ a number of times with BennoR and Ferrins

4. Getting back to Kingston Heath before heading across to Tassie.

5. Reaching my lowest ever handicap.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Nothing beats a flog sock trophy.

Thread Information