Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Spring Valley vic

Stunning fairways
    Slick greens (bloody hard to read)

Bunkers complete joke, inconsistent

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Bunkers are meant to be a hazard.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Nope. They should be nothing more than differently textured grass with perfect lies every time.

So apart from this week's captain obvious award.....The Rules of Golf govern exactly from where the ball may be played outside a hazard. Bunkers (or sand traps) are shallow pits filled with sand and generally incorporating a raised lip or barrier, from which the ball is more difficult to play than from grass.Note the reference to "sand"

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

What was in the bunkers if there was no sand?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    So apart from this week's captain obvious award.....The Rules of Golf govern exactly from where the ball may be played outside a hazard. Bunkers (or sand traps) are shallow pits filled with sand and generally incorporating a raised lip or barrier, from which the ball is more difficult to play than from grass.Note the reference to "sand"
    I noted the reference to “filled with sand” not partially filled or filled to 3 inches of fluffy sand.

When was the last “filled with sand” bunker you saw?

Apart from you failing to post this in the bleat thread, what was the problem with the bunkers. Hazards are not hazards any more, they are penalty areas. Anyway, those who complain about bunkers are generally those with the least adaptable techniques. Give me a bare pan over a fried egg every single day of the week.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Apart from you failing to post this in the bleat thread, what was the problem with the bunkers. Hazards are not hazards any more, they are penalty areas. Anyway, those who complain about bunkers are generally those with the least adaptable techniques. Give me a bare pan over a fried egg every single day of the week.
    #gunplayer

I went in a total of 8 bunkers..2 with sand, both out and one putt. Then there was 6 with basically zero sand. Hard clay like base.The two members i played with both apologised as to the state of them, both described them as the worst they'd been in 10 years

I think the lesson here is don’t hit your ball into hazards

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I went in a total of 8 bunkers..2 with sand, both out and one putt. Then there was 6 with basically zero sand. Hard clay like base.The two members i played with both apologised as to the state of them, both described them as the worst they'd been in 10 years
    Just put the ball back in your stance, they couldn't be any worse than the bunkers I play out of every week (we have an irrigation problem with ours)

I played at Metro many years ago, there was little or no sand in a lot of the bunkers, I had a 56 degree SW with 10 degrees of loft, largely useless for the task.

As an aside, I am sick to death of blokes at my club whinging at me about bunker consistency like its some sort of holy grail. I got up and down 5/5 from the bunkers on Wednesday and a bloke in the group still complained about one bunker on our 17th hole. Anyone close enough would have heard something like, "learn to play you....."

Would love to see more bunkerless holes or grass bunkers being used.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    I played at Metro many years ago, there was little or no sand in a lot of the bunkers, I had a 56 degree SW with 10 degrees of loft, largely useless for the task.As an aside, I am sick to death of blokes at my club whinging at me about bunker consistency like its some sort of holy grail. I got up and down 5/5 from the bunkers on Wednesday and a bloke in the group still complained about one bunker on our 17th hole. Anyone close enough would have heard something like, "learn to play you....."Would love to see more bunkerless holes or grass bunkers being used.
    Fill all the bunkers with water and call them penalty areas , that will fix the consistency problem

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I played at Metro many years ago, there was little or no sand in a lot of the bunkers, I had a 56 degree SW with 10 degrees of loft, largely useless for the task.

As an aside, I am sick to death of blokes at my club whinging at me about bunker consistency like its some sort of holy grail. I got up and down 5/5 from the bunkers on Wednesday and a bloke in the group still complained about one bunker on our 17th hole. Anyone close enough would have heard something like, "learn to play you....."

They allowed the grass to take over the bunkers on some holes on the lakes course where we play.Generally they would have been the bunkers in the wettest areas and hard to maintain.

I think one of the problems with watching golf on tv,is watching players standing on 10 inches of sand,and at their skill level making the up and down very easy.I have no problems with bunkers being a little inconsistent,even having hard pack sand.

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Cheaper for the clubs to maintain too.

Spring Valley could not have been in too bad nick considering they hosted the Australian Amateur the last two days

Chopperlink

WITB

One of the VIS guys had 63

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

He didn't go in any bunkers.

David Micheluzzi, #7 in the world and followed it up with a 64 to lead the qualifying by 7 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    David Micheluzzi, #7 in the world and followed it up with a 64 to lead the qualifying by 7 shots.
    And got rolled 2 and 1 in the matchplay

Chopperlink

WITB

And got rolled 2 and 1 in the matchplay
    Ouch.

That's the beauty of matchplay you don't have to play every hole well just enough to get over the line.

He must have used up all his luck in the two previous rounds.

Thread Information