Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Default 2019 Golf Rule Changes

https://www.golf.org.au/newrules

20 Must Know Rules of Golf Changes for 2019
    1. Drop from knee height (NOT shoulder height)
    2. Measure the area to drop in with the longest club in your bag (except a putter)
    3. Drop in and play from the relief area
    4. When dropping back-on-the-line, your ball cannot be played from nearer the hole than your chosen reference point
    5. Time to search – 3 minutes (NOT 5 minutes)
    6. If you accidentally move your ball when searching for it, replace it without penalty
    7. No penalty for a double hit – it only counts as one stroke
    8. No penalty if your ball hits you or your equipment accidentally after a stroke
    9. No penalty if your ball strikes the flagstick when you have chosen to leave it in the hole
    10. Spike mark and other shoe damage on the putting green can be repaired
    11. Ball accidentally moved on putting green – no penalty and replace
    12. Ball marked, lifted and replaced on putting green is moved by wind to another position –replace ball on the original spot
    13. Penalty areas replace water hazards, and you can move loose impediments, ground your club and take practice swings in penalty areas without penalty, just as you can on the fairway or in the rough
    14. You can’t take relief from a penalty area unless you are at least 95% certain your ball is in the penalty area
    15. In bunkers you can move loose impediments
    16. In bunkers you cannot touch the sand with your club in the area right in front of or right behind your ball, during your backswing or in taking practice swings
    17. Free relief is allowed if your ball is embedded on the fairway or in the rough (but “embedded” means that part of your ball is below the level of the ground)
    18. Unplayable ball in bunker – extra option to drop outside the bunker for 2 penalty strokes
    19. You cannot have your caddie or your partner standing behind you once you begin taking your stance
    20. Pace of Play - it is recommended that you take no longer than 40 seconds to make a stroke (and usually you should be able to play more quickly than that) and Ready Golf in stroke play is encouraged
    -----------------------

What are our thoughts on the new rules that are effective in a few days time? Any that you strongly agree or disagree with?

Most of it seems like commonsense. Although, I find the rule where you can take relief if you are 95% sure that the ball is in the penalty area weird. How the hell do you define 95%?

Senior Member Major Winner

A bit contradictory: I don't like 13, but I do like 15.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Putting with the flag stick in will mean I can start to putt while others are approaching the green. Will help speed up play in my slow group

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Putting with the flag stick in will mean I can start to putt while others are approaching the green. Will help speed up play in my slow group
    I do worry if everyone is on the green, and the flag is constantly going in and out pending who's putting though.

I read a statistic ages ago that said that the ball is more likely to go in the flag is in the hole than out, so whenever I am off the green, I choose to leave it in. Will I have the option to leave the flag in while putting also? That would be a bit weird. (BITS just posted similar above)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I do worry if everyone is on the green, and the flag is constantly going in and out pending who's putting though.
    It only applies if I putt first, would be nice to lag it up close then putt out if I can

By the time that’s done my group will be setting up to putt so I can attend the flag

I certainly not gonna be Greg Norman or Bryson about every putt, only when I’m going first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Will I have the option to leave the flag in while putting also?
    Yes you have that option. In fact you’re probably mad to take the flag out.

I’ve not read anything one way or the other about putting it back in after someone else putts with it out but I can’t see why that wouldn’t be permitted.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    Yes you have that option. In fact you’re probably mad to take the flag out. I’ve not read anything one way or the other about putting it back in after someone else putts with it out but I can’t see why that wouldn’t be permitted.
    So that might slow the play down rather than speed it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    So that might slow the play down rather than speed it up?
    Possibly but I’m not convinced taking the pin out is a reason for slow play. The 3 easiest ways to speed up play IMO are, in reverse order:

3. Fewer practice swings
    2. Ready golf
    1. Walk faster

I read a statistic ages ago that said that the ball is more likely to go in the flag is in the hole than out, so whenever I am off the green, I choose to leave it in. Will I have the option to leave the flag in while putting also? That would be a bit weird. (BITS just posted similar above)
    Metal pole take it out, fibreglass or wood leave it in.

Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Metal pole take it out, fibreglass or wood leave it in.
    That’s what Bryson says

I'd want to know the flexibility coefficient of the flagpole, before making a decision on whether it should come out or not.

Blog Entries

I'd want to know the flexibility coefficient of the flagpole, before making a decision on whether it should come out or not.
    Ask Bryson, he has it sorted!😉
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

The guys in my group today all agreed we are going to ignore the dropping from knee height rule. I can't see the point in that one.

I'm in partial disagreement about grounding clubs in hazards, but conversely, I'm in favour of the same in bunkers, as long as you don't improve your lie. As it stands, the Anna Nordqvist bunker infringement is still an infringement, but I cannot see how you gain any sort of advantage from touching the sand in your backswing.

Apart from that, I'm in total favour of the changes. Much of it is removing unnecessary rules, where the player gains no advantage.

As for the flag, I'm leaving it out for any putt I think I can hole, but leaving it in if I think any leave within three feet is a good outcome. But I doubt I will get too OCD about it.

The rule I'm most in favour of, but it wasn't mentioned in AP's summary, is the out of bounds option. If you don't hit a provisional, you can play from point of entry with a two shot penalty. The Walk of Shame is a big cause of slow play.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    The guys in my group today all agreed we are going to ignore the dropping from knee height rule. I can't see the point in that one.

I'm in partial disagreement about grounding clubs in hazards, but conversely, I'm in favour of the same in bunkers, as long as you don't improve your lie. As it stands, the Anna Nordqvist bunker infringement is still an infringement, but I cannot see how you gain any sort of advantage from touching the sand in your backswing.

Apart from that, I'm in total favour of the changes. Much of it is removing unnecessary rules, where the player gains no advantage.

As for the flag, I'm leaving it out for any putt I think I can hole, but leaving it in if I think any leave within three feet is a good outcome. But I doubt I will get too OCD about it.

The rule I'm most in favour of, but it wasn't mentioned in AP's summary, is the out of bounds option. If you don't hit a provisional, you can play from point of entry with a two shot penalty. The Walk of Shame is a big cause of slow play.
    What other rules of golf do you ignore when you play?

jim, I generally like your input but this is nonsense. Get on with it and stop being a tool.

I’ve read that stat too. I think it’s more related to shots off the green on a purely statistical basis and not sure if there’s any real advantage.

I’m sure BDC will have an answer this week in Maui.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

17 is a bit ambiguous. I can see people taking that a bit too liberally and applying the rule when their ball ends up in someone else's un-repaired divot (which I don't believe is the intention of the rule).

If that is, in fact, the intention of the rule, then it should have been worded differently.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

The reason being is actually very VERY simple. Dropping from shoulder height provides more opportunities for:

A) the ball to bounce nearer to the hole

B) the ball to bounce more than the required club length

C) the ball to plug or sit down

Therefore knee height should/will reduce re-dropping and dicking around trying to get it to land as well as possible.

Pretty simple.

Blog Entries

What other rules of golf do you ignore when you play?
    Really disappointing from a mod.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I’ve read that stat too. I think it’s more related to shots off the green on a purely statistical basis and not sure if there’s any real advantage.

I’m sure BDC will have an answer this week in Maui.
    He talked about it on the barstool golf podcast. He’s flag in unless it’s metal

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    17 is a bit ambiguous. I can see people taking that a bit too liberally and applying the rule when their ball ends up in someone else's un-repaired divot (which I don't believe is the intention of the rule).

If that is, in fact, the intention of the rule, then it should have been worded differently.
    It has to be in its own pitch mark

It has to be in its own pitch mark
    OK, just read the new 'Interpretations' on the matter. It would appear that the main difference is the ability to take relief from a plugged lie in the rough (previously it was only in a 'closely mown area').

Geez I have a bit of study to do to be able to ensure Solarman is on the straight & narrow next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    Geez I have a bit of study to do to be able to ensure Solarman is on the straight & narrow next week.
    Why start now?

Thread Information