Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Interesting twitter rant from Steve head of Aussie Golf Digest.

Attachment 48863

Shows just how out of touch he and his playing partners are. It amazes me how precious some golfers really are in Australia, why can't we just get on with it and putt the ball regardless of what the pin is doing
    You can, just like I can choose to have it out. Which is kind of the point he is making. I have no problem with the rule, I think its a great rule, but I agree with him in that it won't have a dramatic effect on overall time saving. Especially when you compare it and combine it with other changes this one will have little impact. Doesn't mean its a bad rule or change.

Our club adopted this rule change to "introduce" new rules over the last month or so. Considering it was the ONLY new rule implemented I am confident in claiming it made diddly squat to overall time saving. The club monitored times and I noticed no change in speed, good or bad. It is a convenient rule though and one that has not ruffled anyone in the groups I played in.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Played yesterday and the pin out was a given, we played as quick as the 15 groups in front of us.Our pins are quite solid as in zero give, I won't be putting with them in.
    Played today , no one wanted the pin in , our pins are metal , crazy to leave it in unless really close or very far awayPlus we didn’t have a new rule to play no one even had a drop to take

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I putted yesterday with the Pin in when I could, but more often than not there was another player's ball that needed to be marked before I could putt.
    Why not mark their ball yourself and keep going?

I always carry two ball markers with me, although sometimes (when a playing partner puts the ball back down) it can be a hassle to get the ball marker back

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

I've played two days with the new rules, and we were faster on the greens, from two sources ...

1 The first putt(s) could be made without waiting for a second person to get the pin.
    2. If someone approached to tap in range, then they could finish the hole quicker than the others lining up their putts (and more time efficient than marking and putting out later).
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothman View Post
    You can, just like I can choose to have it out. Which is kind of the point he is making. I have no problem with the rule, I think its a great rule, but I agree with him in that it won't have a dramatic effect on overall time saving. Especially when you compare it and combine it with other changes this one will have little impact. Doesn't mean its a bad rule or change.

Our club adopted this rule change to "introduce" new rules over the last month or so. Considering it was the ONLY new rule implemented I am confident in claiming it made diddly squat to overall time saving. The club monitored times and I noticed no change in speed, good or bad. It is a convenient rule though and one that has not ruffled anyone in the groups I played in.
    You what now?

Your club allowed putting with the pin in prior to Jan 1?

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Why not mark their ball yourself and keep going?

I always carry two ball markers with me, although sometimes (when a playing partner puts the ball back down) it can be a hassle to get the ball marker back
    I did where I could, but they were usually in transit to their ball when I was ready to putt, so easier to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I did where I could, but they were usually in transit to their ball when I was ready to putt, so easier to wait.
    Fair call, for me its all about speed. Im not at a level where I really worry about the velocity of my ball hitting pins, score to me is superficial, just want ppl to play faster and have more fun without all the old cheese pedantics that make the whole experience like rotting tomatoes

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    You what now?

Your club allowed putting with the pin in prior to Jan 1?
    Trust me, I asked the same question multiple times.....I just shrugged, moved in and removed the pin...didn't argue if others wanted it in

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The time that may or may not be saved by putting with the flag in will not make a dint in time lost before even getting to the green.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Quote Originally Posted by Courty View Post
    The time that may or may not be saved by putting with the flag in will not make a dint in time lost before even getting to the green.
    true, the biggest issue there is 3 punters looking for a lost ball before playing their respective shots

Blog Entries

Or not being within 100m of the first tee, when it is their turn to tee off.

At least, they'll now only waste 5 mins looking for a lost ball instead of previous 10 mns.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Trust me, I asked the same question multiple times.....I just shrugged, moved in and removed the pin...didn't argue if others wanted it in
    I’m continually amazed at the amount of people who completely ignore the rules of golf. Golf clubs included.

Very few people in a position to change anything actually give a crap about pace of play.

I’m continually amazed at the amount of people who completely ignore the rules of golf. Golf clubs included.
    It came down to a choice for me in this case. Cause a scene, make a complaint etc etc for a rule that would be introduced in 4-6 weeks (whatever it was) or just carry on.....I chose to carry on, but adhere to the current rules at the time and not argue if someone wanted to use the one introduced rule. Sometimes the fight isn't worth it

Ignorance is blissful

Sometimes the fight isn't worth it
    That seems to be how golf clubs work

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    I've played two days with the new rules, and we were faster on the greens, from two sources ...

1 The first putt(s) could be made without waiting for a second person to get the pin.
    2. If someone approached to tap in range, then they could finish the hole quicker than the others lining up their putts (and more time efficient than marking and putting out later).
    This is what we noticed. If you have a 4 inch tap in it was quick to just knock it in then pass the flag around, or mark it, or whatever.

With 'ready golf' a given in our group, it meant that the blokes with 30 or 40 foot putts could have a go at them before someone else wandered over and picked up the flag.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

I think you will find the sensible golfer will use the rule changes for the better and go quicker, the fluffers will still fluff around and find ways to interpret the changes to use them to waste even more time

I think many are missing the point of the putting with the flag in rule, the rule was established to speed play. Not so you can elect to have it in or out, in the context of the rule is so you can arrive at the green and put whilst number 2 & 3 are stuffing around practicing their chip or picking up every thing on the green. As can put be for them. Once the flag is out it should remain out for the rest of the puts. Not go in and out.
    in the bag
    Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo
    RBZ tour spoon BT8M3 stiff
    HB 910 19deg Matrix O white x stiff
    Wilson staff FGV6 Tour Forged irons
    wedges trusty tour 50; 54; 58
    SC FB no1 or SC red X
    and stuff in the pocketsT7M3 S

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I think many are missing the point of the putting with the flag in rule, the rule was established to speed play. Not so you can elect to have it in or out, in the context of the rule is so you can arrive at the green and put whilst number 2 & 3 are stuffing around practicing their chip or picking up every thing on the green. As can put be for them. Once the flag is out it should remain out for the rest of the puts. Not go in and out.
    If the rule doesn't say that, then the point of the rule won't matter to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    If the rule doesn't say that, then the point of the rule won't matter to some people.
    It seems rules are only a guide anyway. Do whatever you want looks to be the go

Blog Entries

Smokey this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Business as usual then.

It's No. 1 in the Wednesday Rules book.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Only if you club implements a local rule to allow it to happen. As yet I’ve seen nothing sent out from my local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it’s in at Carbrook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cobra Fly Z+ w/ Fujikura Pro 63x
    Cobra BioCell+ 16.5* w/ Diamana D+ 72s
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro 3-PW w/ Modus 120 S
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52*/56*
    Scotty Cameron GoLo 5 (knuckled)

Thread Information