Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    Sure. If I can see that it’s in the crap on a par 3 and dead I’d just reload. If it’s a par 4/5 and I think the drive is ok and only find it’s lost/OB etc once I get up there I’d drop every time. Currently I just pick up and wipe the hole if it’s stab. No way I’m going to hold the whole world up by walking back to the tee. Life is too short.
    Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    IMO from 2019 if ANY player walks back to a tee box in a full field they are fair game and can be beaten to a pulp
    There are a significant number of players who don’t pick up when they can no longer score in a stableford round. I can’t imagine them taking a 2 stroke penalty.

I suppose we’ll see if/when it’s introduced. Much like limited scores in stroke rounds.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt 3 Jab View Post
    There is a lot of crap at my course that's not far from the fairway / rough. So a lot of the time you hit it well, and don't find it. That's where it would be speedy .

Holes like 3, 5, 10, 11 instantly come to mind where you can hit it well and be only 1 metre off the fairway and lose a ball. So in those situations the 'irish drop' would speed play up and you would be in a good spot
    Magenta can have the rule on those holes but not on others. Similarly they can have it one day and not the next.

Blog Entries

Yep. So say you hit off the tee (1), lost ball, penalty (2,3) hitting 4 from fairway.

Or you hit tee shot (1), lost ball penalty (2), tee off again (3) and then hit 4th from where that ball goes (possibly in the crap again)??

I'd take guarantee fairway clear next shot most , if not every time.

Maybe I'm not understanding the rule correctly??
    Maybe I'm missing something Matt, but why do you get a drop in the fairway?
    Golf Map | WITB: Titleist TSR3 9* / Titleist 917F 3W 13.5* / PING G430 5W 17* / Titleist T100S 4I - PW / Vokey SM9 50-8*, 55-10*, 60-10* / PING Sigma2 Kushin C 35.5" / Titleist ProV1

Axis 1 Maximus user Order of Merit winner

I believe it's the rule:

SEARCH

[http://www]

GolfWRX

NEWS

Rules explainer: Will there really be no more provisional balls in 2019?

[http://1]

Published

*4 months ago*

on

*Sep 13, 2018

By

*Brian Nygaard Oswald*

[http://wpmediars]

TWEET

Have you ever played a provisional ball? Of course you have not.*Your*ball lands in the fairway each and every time… I’m kidding. In all seriousness, though, in 2019, there will no longer be any provisional balls. This point has not gotten so much attention, so let me clear it up for you.

In 2019, it will be possible for golf clubs to apply two new local rules, which in essence give you the option–instead of going all the way back to the tee (or instead of playing a provisional ball)–to drop a ball with a two-stroke penalty in the vicinity of where your ball is lost or where your ball crossed the out-of-bounds margin. These two options, though, are only available if you have not played a provisional ball. Let me come back to that in a moment.

First of all, be aware that this*local rule*is meant only for non-elite-players. Thus, it will not apply for professionals, and it is not intended for elite amateurs.

Secondly, it is important to understand the reason for these new options: The governing bodies want to increase pace of play.

This is the scenario with the rules as they stand today

You play a ball, and it goes towards out of bounds or towards some rough.

You decide to play a provisional ball, and maybe you don’t have it in your pocket, so you have to go to your bag and get it.

You declare to your fellow player that you play a provisional ball.

You play the provisional ball.

You now have to search for two balls, both the first and the provisional–so you might have to search twice.

By the way: If the provisional ball is also near out of bounds or e.g. rough, you should in fact play another provisional ball for the provisional ball.

If you did not play a provisional ball, and did not find your first ball, you had to go all the way back to play a new ball.

All this takes way too long. That is the reason that they have introduced this new option. So, you might ask: “Well then how exactly do we then proceed under these new local rules?” My answer is that I had hoped you had not asked, because it is not easy to explain.

Let me try a shorter version and a longer version. Both versions are a about a situation where you have played your ball towards out of bounds or towards an area (not in a penalty area), where you might not find it.

Short versions

Ball hit out of bounds

Estimate the crossing point to OOB (“A”).

Find the nearest fairway edge, equidistant from the hole (“B”).

Drop e.g. on the fairway within two club lengths of “Y”, not nearer the hole.

Lost ball

Estimate the spot where the ball lies (“A”).

Find the nearest fairway edge, equidistant from the hole (“B”).

Drop e.g. on the fairway within two club lengths of this spot, not nearer the hole.

If you proceed under that short version, you will comply with the rules. But to understand your options fully, you need to read the long version.

Long versions

Although the short version is correct, it does not cover all your options. Below I have copied the text from the local rule, where it is explained in more detail.

For two penalty strokes, the player may take relief by dropping the original ball or a substituted ball in this relief area (see Rule 14.3): Two Estimated Reference Points: a. Ball Reference Point: The point where the original ball: • Is estimated to have come to rest on the course, or • Last crossed the edge of the course boundary to go out of bounds.

b. Fairway Reference Point: The point of fairway of the hole being played that is nearest to the ball reference point, but is not nearer the hole than the ball reference point. For purposes of this Local Rule, “fairway” means any area of grass in the general area that is cut to fairway height or less.

Size of Relief Area Based on Reference Points: Anywhere between

A line from the hole through the ball reference point (or within two club-lengths to the outside of that line), and

A line from the hole through the fairway reference point (or within two club-lengths to the outside of that line).

Not really easy to understand, eh?

But here’s the point, as also stated above: These options are only available, if you have NOT played a provisional ball! In other words: If you chose to play a provisional ball, you also chose not to apply these local rules! Therefore, you have to do the math below.

If I play a provisional ball (and it becomes in play) then it will cost me one stroke and one penalty, in all two strokes.

If instead I don’t play a provisional ball and rather invoke the new local rule, then it will likewise cost me two penalty strokes.

The big question then is: Do I think, that by playing a provisional ball I can be in a better position, than if I dropped according to the local rule?

This could lead to the conclusion that you would maybe play a provisional ball if your stroke was very bad (e.g. only 40 yards into some rough). You then would think that you could do much better with a provisional ball) and that you would NOT play a provisional ball if you made a very long stroke (e.g. 250 yards), since there would be a good chance that the provisional ball would end up much shorter than if your applied the local rule and dropped in accordance.

The hope from R&A and USGA is probably that people will stop playing provisional balls…simply because it takes too long. But the dream for R&A and USGA would probably be this scenario in 2019

Your ball seems to go towards out of bounds or seems to go towards some rough (outside a penalty area) where you maybe cannot find it.

You immediately walk to the place where you think it is (without playing a provisional).

If you don’t find it within the three minutes search time, you apply the local rule and drop/play another ball in accordance with that.

This will increase pace of play significantly. But the question is: What will players do? What would you do? From a player’s point of view it might look a bit more different, as stated above.

Some players would maybe do the math above, and sometimes play a provisional and sometimes not. Other players would think that it is a wonderful new opportunity and use it all the time. Other players again will find it hard to understand exactly where to drop under the local rule and thus would either do it wrong or not apply the new local rule at all.

So what is the conclusion then?

Well, maybe there will not be any more provisional balls played in 2019. Or maybe there will be, and there won’t really be any notable difference from today.

But no matter what, please remember, that these are only local rules, so in 2019 you must find out whether or not your club has such a local rule. And when you have found out, you must decide what to do in a situation where you can play a provisional ball. My guess would be, that many would do as they do today: not play a provisional ball.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Wow, lots of shit saying nothing. You hit it OB, your CHOICE is to replay or drop somewhere near where it went out. The replay is one shot, the drop is 2. It seems really that simple. Play 3 from the tee or 4 from the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Wow, lots of shit saying nothing. You hit it OB, your CHOICE is to replay or drop somewhere near where it went out. The replay is one shot, the drop is 2. It seems really that simple. Play 3 from the tee or 4 from the fence.
    You get to drop on the fairway edge, not the fence. That's the advantage

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Thanks for clarifying it for us. And getting it wrong

You get to drop on the fairway edge, not the fence. That's the advantage
    Only if you club implements a local rule to allow it to happen. As yet I’ve seen nothing sent out from my local.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by backintheswing View Post
    Only if you club implements a local rule to allow it to happen. As yet I’ve seen nothing sent out from my local.

Yeah 100%

I hope my club does it especially for stroke rounds but they most likely will not

Yeah 100%

I hope my club does it especially for stroke rounds but they most likely will not
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/...ange-1-4842194

Doesn't seem like its gonna happen in the UK

The Irish drop should be a last resort to stop a DQ, it should not be used as a viable option

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The Irish drop should be a last resort to stop a DQ, it should not be used as a viable option

IMO from 2019 if ANY player walks back to a tee box in a full field they are fair game and can be beaten to a pulp
    Like this?

Yes mate,

Unless a blind drive takes a bad bounce hit a provisional

Then if that goes missing after 3 mins drop, play and get moving

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post

Free relief is allowed if your ball is embedded on the fairway or in the rough (but “embedded” means that part of your ball is below the level of the ground)
    Just to clarify, if the ball is in a divot or a slight dent to the ground that resulted in the ball to be slightly below ground, it is considered as "embedded"?

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Just to clarify, if the ball is in a divot or a slight dent to the ground that resulted in the ball to be slightly below ground, it is considered as "embedded"?
    If it was made by the ball in question, then yes. Otherwise, it's play it as it lies.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    If it was made by the ball in question, then yes. Otherwise, it's play it as it lies.
    ah ok.... thanks...

Played this morning under the new rules, new penalty areas were marked up, no sign of the sky falling in.

played with a giza yesterday who wanted to improve his plugged lie in a bunker.

Rule does not apply in hazards or bunkers

Also played on the 1st. I generally like the new rules. Putted with the flag in lots of times, while others were still getting sorted off the green. Lagged most, and holed two. I think it's a great way to speed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    Also played on the 1st. I generally like the new rules. Putted with the flag in lots of times, while others were still getting sorted off the green. Lagged most, and holed two. I think it's a great way to speed things up.
    yeah me 2, noticed a difference in the time it took on the green. Pity the rest of my group insisted on it being out of the hole on all putts

Pity the rest of my group insisted on it being out of the hole on all putts
    That will happen, and I experienced this yesterday at times, but I will already be holed out and tending the flag with nothing left to do so it resulted in a speed-up on those holes anyway, rather than doing the hot-potato with the flag while everyone works out who is closest.

Ahh yes, an important distinction.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Why does the flag need to come out at all now?

Ahh yes, an important distinction.
    I had a giza checking the same thing yesterday, with a severely plugged ball just inside the hazard line penalty area.

That giza then proceeded to pull out the rule book and check, and quickly found the correct answer.

That giza was me.

Thread Information