Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Driving iron graphite shafts

Anyone using an AD DI driving iron shaft or similar in a driving iron?
    I’ve just picked up a Srixon Z U65 20* with stock Miyazaki Kaula 70 S. Amazing club and goes very well, it’s probably just getting up a little too high for a 20* head. May look to put a heavier graphite shaft in it...some dudes on WRX have put an AD DI driving iron shaft in their U65s.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Given it's golfwrx, XXX flex and tipped an inch?

I'd change ball position first, maybe you're swinging at it like a wood instead of an iron?

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I got Tomson to chuck a graphite shaft in an old Adams CB2 3 iron I had lying about. It (Black Tie) turned out to be a bit too much shaft for me, but it's being swapped to a White Tie as we speak.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I have a Tour AD DI 105s in my 18° ZU45.

Although it has amazing feel, its quite difficult to flight down but that could just be my swing (most probably)

There are 2 different versions, one made for hybrids and the other made specifically for DI's. I went the hybrid because the heaviest weight in the DI's was 95g. The only thing with the hybrid ones, they have to be shaved down or ream to hosel because they are .370 whereas the DI one's are .355 designed to be plugged straight in.
    The only difference I read about them is that the hybrid model launches a little higher and spins more.

I was looking at lots of other options, heres a list for you to research
    Aldila RIP 105
    Tensei Pro White 90/100
    Fujikura Pro 95i/115i
    Steelfiber i110
    HZRDUS 85/95/105

Any other questions, hit me up.

Senior Member Major Winner

The whole point of using graphite shafts in DI's is to go lighter weight to (in theory) increase swing speed to help increase launch. Case in point the high launch in your 70g shaft.

If you are going to go heavy graphite, you won't get much different results similarly weighted steel. Unless of course you do it for feel, and vibration absorption (the reason most of my irons are graphite).

Personally, I have a few 4 Driving irons, my favourite shaft in them is the Matrix Program 95 4i shaft - weighs about 100g.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

I was thinking about this recently as I have MP18 Flihi’s in 3-4 and a T-MB in 2 plus some other junk lying about. I’ve been looking for the ultimate low bullet off the tee. I even put a 115g X flex RIP Alpha in a 21* Adams to ‘try’ launch it lower.

However...

The main feature of these new modern long iron replacements is A) the be more forgiving and B) to fly it higher than traditional long irons.

So essentially you’re trying to make the club do something it wasn’t really designed to do.

I’m more inclined to accept its a swing thing and work on that rather than the shaft.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Anyone using an AD DI driving iron shaft or similar in a driving iron? I’ve just picked up a Srixon Z U65 20* with stock Miyazaki Kaula 70 S. Amazing club and goes very well, it’s probably just getting up a little too high for a 20* head. May look to put a heavier graphite shaft in it...some dudes on WRX have put an AD DI driving iron shaft in their U65s.
    I had the same club arrive today. It’ll mostly be used just as a 4 iron replacement (now that it’s bent to 22) so I’m going to chuck in the steel 4 iron shaft that matches my iron set. That just seems like the easiest and cheapest option so hopefully it works.
    Cinderella story, out of nowhere, former greenskeeper, now about to become a Masters champion..... It looks like a mirac.. It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Thanks for the comments gents.
    Just for some background, I had the previous iteration of this shaft in my 20* Z U45. Absolutely loved the club and shaft and played it for more than a year.
    I moved it on eventually and got an 18* and 21* MP-H4 with S300 as I felt like I was struggling a little to feel where the U45 head was at transition at the top of the backswing. The H4s (slightly older clubs than the U45 obviously) performed pretty well, but not as well as the graphite-powered U45.
    As such I moved them on a few days ago for the Z U65, which I played nine holes with this morning. Took a few holes to again get used to the graphite iron shaft, but was then striping it steadily.
    I’ve also previously owned a 712U and a T-MB, both with AMT S300s. The Z U45 with Miyazaki Blue 70 S is the best performing DI I’ve used...but the U65 with Miyazaki Kaula 70 S looks set to be as awesome, if not awesomer.
    @3oneday (long time no see mate, BTW), my ball position with the Z U65 is pretty much standard for a long iron, but I might experiment with moving it a little further back in my stance.
    And finally in this damn War & Peace-esque post, I will add that while the 20* Z U65 was launching a little high this morning, it didn’t really seem to be compromising my distance. This thing with this shaft gets well out there. No problems at all in that regard.
    Thanks lads.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Thread Information