Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Iron Length Question

I've recently returned to golf and brought myself a set of Ping G10's which are plus .75 (3/4) of an inch. I'm 6'3 and feel that the irons are still too short (especially the wedges) as I swing quite upright and close to my body. I'm planning on selling these irons and looking around for some +1.5 inch over standard. Are the extra long irons around or are they as rare as hens teeth and should I get the clubs I have lengthened instead? I'm also keen to get my putter lengthened.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

It is a relatively easy process to lengthen irons, but in doing so you alter the effective lie angle and the swing weights. Which may or may not be an issue. Ideally you should do some sort of club fitting to confirm length, lie and heft. But most Ozgolfers tend to do it by trial and error!

Forged irons are much easier to alter lie and loft, but Pings can be bent with a "Persuader"! Ping (American Golf in Oz) offer a pretty good service in this regard, I am told.

Lengthening irons also slightly softens the shaft flex. 1.5" would equate to about one flex change on most shafts.

I am 6'4" and I MOI match my clubs. My irons are typically 1.5" to 2" over, depending on shaft and model. I do this for the extra heft as much as anything. My experience is that the quicker your tempo and transition, the more added heft helps.

The color code is Maroon dot, but as the irons are a tad short for me I think it makes the clubs too upright?, this is especially the case when I hit the SW with it's shorter length, I strike the ball with the toe down a fraction and the heel slightly high. For the reason that my clubs are currently standard and haven't been altered I might just sell them and try and get some used +1.5 or +2 which I'm guessing should already have the shaft and lie adjusted to suit.
    When I went to Drummond they just said I need +1 but they were just going off my height. Cheers for the replys.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I’m 6’4 and am 1/2 over, 1 or 2 is really over
    Driver- Slazenger Bruce Devlin 1 1/2
    Fwy Wood - PGF Kel Nagle
    Irons - 2-PW Keith Knox R700
    Wedges - Wilson Jerry Pate
    Putter - ​Bulls Eye Copy

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)
    Blog Entries

I always thought you were petite Spanner! ��
    Gamers
    Ping G430 Max10K 9* Driver with Accra TZ6 stiff flex shaft
    TM Stealth 2+ 3 wood with Crazy Boron 75g Stiff shaft
    Tour Edge C721 19* Hybrid with KBS Tour 80 stiff shaft
    Srixon ZX 5 (mk2) irons with Proj X LZ 5.5 shafts 4 to PW
    Callaway MD5 Raw wedges 50/10 56/14 60/12
    Lajosi Custum Flow Neck putter *Titty Pro V1X ball.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Withnail View Post
    The color code is Maroon dot, but as the irons are a tad short for me I think it makes the clubs too upright?, this is especially the case when I hit the SW with it's shorter length, I strike the ball with the toe down a fraction and the heel slightly high. For the reason that my clubs are currently standard and haven't been altered I might just sell them and try and get some used +1.5 or +2 which I'm guessing should already have the shaft and lie adjusted to suit.
    When I went to Drummond they just said I need +1 but they were just going off my height. Cheers for the replys.
    Be careful with lengths and lies. The longer the club is with the lie angle staying the same, the more toe up the club will be ie the effective lie angle is higher. Shorter clubs means the effective lie angle decreases. Maroon is VERY upright and 1.5" over length is VERY long for a Ping fitting for example. Don't get caught up in how tall you are in relation to the length of your clubs. Ernie Els is also 6'3" and I believe he plays standard length irons. Unless you've played a lot of different lengths of irons and know what works best for you out on the golf course, it could be well worth you getting a fitting done. Don't go to cool clubs or pureform or any of those guys, they will fill your head with so much crap your head won't stop spinning. Just go and ask your local pro or retail shop to help you with a basic fitting first. At least if you get lie angle and length right, you'll be heading in the right direction.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Aren’t your arms in proportion to your body? If you bent at the hips and your arms are in proportion there’s every chance you could use standard.

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by 3oneday View Post
    Aren’t your arms in proportion to your body? If you bent at the hips and your arms are in proportion there’s every chance you could use standard.
    Agree, more a lie thing than overall shaft length.
    Go see a fitter?

Senior Member Major Winner

If you’re talking about club length in reference to “standard” you should also work out what standard length is. I suspect it’s different for each manufacturer

I just did a very rough wrist to floor measurement with a tape measure, 945mm or 37.2 inch. I think my swing angle is quite steep but I'm more comfortable like this than leaning over more. The low irons are okay and the driver is standard length but my high irons (9-SW) are close to my feet when swinging due to the shorter length and the lie seems too toe down (doesn't this mean the shafts for the high irons could be longer and the lie angle would then be correct?). I hit the 9 iron approx 115m and the SW 95m so I use these clubs a lot for approaches.

Hey mate,

The issue is going to be with the weight of the clubs at +1.5", and the flex and the speed you can swing it at.

I have fit many people your size and would steer you away from clubs above +1" unless you are an absolute unit off single figures that can plank for 5 minutes.

i woudl suggest that technique may have to be changed to bring back that comfy feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Hey mate,

The issue is going to be with the weight of the clubs at +1.5", and the flex and the speed you can swing it at.

I have fit many people your size and would steer you away from clubs above +1" unless you are an absolute unit off single figures that can plank for 5 minutes.

i woudl suggest that technique may have to be changed to bring back that comfy feeling.
    Thanks for the advice Virge666, I will keep practicing with the clubs I have until I get fitted. I'm pretty sure most players my height would bend their knees more or lean over more.

it is just balance mate, how long the club is has very little to do with the mechanics of the golf swing. Sure there is a preference here or there, but really it comes down to a preference and your athletic ability.

Go and find yourself a professional and do some work on your setup, especially around how your arms hang in the grip you use. Once you get these two simple things under control, the body will sort itself out and should put you in a rather comfortable position

Enjoy

Thread Information