Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by olddogmike View Post
    The view I see on TV is what the rest of the world sees, its like viewing a public course where the ground staff have gone on holidays,
    That might be a tad harsh! I guess a lot of it comes down to what style of course you prefer to play (and look at), some prefer parkland others prefer links style etc.The links style at The Lakes is a little different as it has kikuyu grass which may change it visually (and how it plays) as opposed to say the couch grass in Melbourne, but that is a little bit of guess work from me.

IMO the course looks great! looks to be playing a bit soft but you cannot help that with the weather

Kikuyu looks very lush, it can be a good surface if get the thatch tight enough

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

The view I see on TV is what the rest of the world sees, its like viewing a public course where the ground staff have gone on holidays,
    Very different in real life either walking or playing.
    It’s mint, absolutely.
    Clayton is all about the rugged sandy waste areas etc, has done that a bit with our redesign.....

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    Pt: im curious to know why you disapprove of the re-design

the land that the golf course sits on should form its character with little human interaction; Mac achieved this during the re-design, its rugged sure, but isn't that just the natural land that the course sits on?

if the re-design was not done im unsure whether leaving gum trees on the edges of lakes that obstruct playing lines was giving the course the best playing experience it could be.

If the mac re-design was no good, what would have been a good alternative? given the site and the playing conditions?
    I've played there a lot over the years with Pennants etc. but I'm not a fan of Clayton's work anyway.

IMHO he wrecked the 13th which was previously a sensational hole and I agree with Matt that the back 9 (apart from the 13th) is fine and removing the trees was a good idea.

The move from couch to kikuyu was a good idea, a board member told me that was done to defend the course from long hitters to reduce roll from tee shots and stop losing the fight with kikuyu getting into the couch fairways from neighbouring courses.

Some of the greens have been tricked up with huge swales (14th comes to mind) and I don't get the concept of making it a links style course when it's miles from the coast.

Given the land available they couldn't do much but members have told me they lost a lot of members after the re-design who just stopped enjoying the course.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

What deems a course to be “links style”?

Firm conditions?

Preference of using the ground as opposed to shooting darts?

Is it a look?

What is a ‘tricked-up’ green precisely?

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    What deems a course to be “links style”?

Firm conditions?

Preference of using the ground as opposed to shooting darts?

Is it a look?

What is a ‘tricked-up’ green precisely?
    The look is in direct line with the land, dunes not only exist near the sea

the scarred surface shows what the land looked like before human hands touched it
    Last edited by thecollective; 16th November 2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: can't spell type too fast!

Pretty cool there’s 4 guys from my club in the field!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

The course was kilkyu looong before Clayton's work
    "Golf makes different creatures of us all, some worse, some better, but all enthusiastic" Evening Journal, 1897.

Can somebody (ideally with an appreciation of golf course architecture) explain to me why the 13th at The Lakes is a bad hole? It’s a short, downhill par 4, so it’s totally acceptable that the green is tricky - in this case narrow with steep drop-offs on both sides.
    If you lay up with an iron off the tee you have a 70-odd metre wide fairway to hit. If you take a longer club you take on more risk, so your landing area narrows substantially.
    Yesterday in the group I was scoring for Michael Sim hit an iron off the tee and had about 80m into the green. Cory Crawford, a longer hitter than Sim, took 3W and put it directly in front of the green about 8m short of the putting surface (the hole was playing downwind). Both players played the hole to their strengths, and both had short (about 3ft) birdie putts after tidy approaches and made 3.
    I can see how it could play a bit too difficult for some members if they get stuck having to chip or putt up those crazy side run-offs and could end up going back and forth a bit. But I don’t think that makes it a poorly designed hole. It’s not like it’s a long par 4 with a crazy hard green to hit.
    P.S. I never played The Lakes before Clayton’s redesign.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Can somebody (ideally with an appreciation of golf course architecture) explain to me why the 13th at The Lakes is a bad hole? It’s a short, downhill par 4, so it’s totally acceptable that the green is tricky - in this case narrow with steep drop-offs on both sides. If you lay up with an iron off the tee you have a 70-odd metre wide fairway to hit. If you take a longer club you take on more risk, so your landing area narrows substantially.Yesterday in the group I was scoring for Michael Sim hit an iron off the tee and had about 80m into the green. Cory Crawford, a longer hitter than Sim, took 3W and put it directly in front of the green about 8m short of the putting surface (the hole was playing downwind). Both players played the hole to their strengths, and both had short (about 3ft) birdie putts after tidy approaches and made 3.I can see how it could play a bit too difficult for some members if they get stuck having to chip or putt up those crazy side run-offs and could end up going back and forth a bit. But I don’t think that makes it a poorly designed hole. It’s not like it’s a long par 4 with a crazy hard green to hit.P.S. I never played The Lakes before Clayton’s redesign.
    It's actually a good risk reward hole especially with a front pin. I think the dislike stems from the fact it's a short par 4 which plays harder than people expect. Any missed approaches outside of putting distance usually results in some big scores

Jazz it’s hard to emphasise good and bad due to supposed subjective opinions. On tv it looks like a fun hole to play.

The strategic basis for short, reachable par 4’s is generally easy landing zone providing an entry to a hard/tricky green. Plenty of space to put it off the tee but makes you think extremely hard about it subject to where the pin is.

10 at Riviera

12 at the Old Course

Two perfect examples of reachable par 4’s that clearly show this methodology.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyJuzzy View Post
    Can somebody (ideally with an appreciation of golf course architecture) explain to me why the 13th at The Lakes is a bad hole? It’s a short, downhill par 4, so it’s totally acceptable that the green is tricky - in this case narrow with steep drop-offs on both sides. If you lay up with an iron off the tee you have a 70-odd metre wide fairway to hit. If you take a longer club you take on more risk, so your landing area narrows substantially.Yesterday in the group I was scoring for Michael Sim hit an iron off the tee and had about 80m into the green. Cory Crawford, a longer hitter than Sim, took 3W and put it directly in front of the green about 8m short of the putting surface (the hole was playing downwind). Both players played the hole to their strengths, and both had short (about 3ft) birdie putts after tidy approaches and made 3.I can see how it could play a bit too difficult for some members if they get stuck having to chip or putt up those crazy side run-offs and could end up going back and forth a bit. But I don’t think that makes it a poorly designed hole. It’s not like it’s a long par 4 with a crazy hard green to hit.P.S. I never played The Lakes before Clayton’s redesign.
    I read this the other day about the 13th which I found interesting. https://www.golf.org.au/newsdisplay/102181

Quote Originally Posted by marcel View Post
    The course was kilkyu looong before Clayton's work
    Yeh, but that Kyk is tight as a fishes ass.....

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I must admit the view on TV shows the back nine a nicer course than the industrial waste land look of the front nine. That been said, I would be very reluctant to shell out $33k entrance fee then near $5k annual fee to play there.

Senior Member Major Winner

I must admit the view on TV shows the back nine a nicer course than the industrial waste land look of the front nine. That been said, I would be very reluctant to shell out $33k entrance fee then near $5k annual fee to play there.
    Because that’s a decision you’re currently facing?

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I wouldn't pay 5k to be a member of the Lakes, even if I did have the opportunity to become a member. I've never liked the course, even before the changes.

I have refrained from any comment on the 13th until I've actually watched the players playing it. Now that I have done, I don't mind it, if the flag is at the back of the green. A back flag means there is a bit of room for error, and the players can get the ball to stay on the green from the sides.

My memory is that the old 13th was one of the most liked holes on the course, and provided a genuine risk and reward option. The new green is so severe that there is hardly any reward, as Ben An found out this afternoon. Where he finished is even worse if the pin is at the front.

In 2012 (I think, anyway it was the year of the Presidents Cup in Melbourne) I watched all the stars play 13. It was into the wind, and nobody went for it. It was the boring hole ever, watching 5 iron, sand wedge from 20 players in a row.

As to the event itself, despite the quirks of the course, I'm quite enjoying it. Kuchar and Keegan are earning their appearance money. i thought they may struggle in a stronger breeze than they usually play in, but they have showed their class. Ancer is even more of a surprise, but good luck to him.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Ancer had a hell of a round. Nine birdies! That fairway wood he hit into the 17th green was literally a perfect shot. And five straight birdies from 6 through 10 was awesome.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Is the 13th the one they say is modelled on 4 at Woodlands? Nothing wrong with that hole, but it is a bitch.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    I wouldn't pay 5k to be a member of the Lakes, even if I did have the opportunity to become a member. I've never liked the course, even before the changes.

I have refrained from any comment on the 13th until I've actually watched the players playing it. Now that I have done, I don't mind it, if the flag is at the back of the green. A back flag means there is a bit of room for error, and the players can get the ball to stay on the green from the sides.

My memory is that the old 13th was one of the most liked holes on the course, and provided a genuine risk and reward option. The new green is so severe that there is hardly any reward, as Ben An found out this afternoon. Where he finished is even worse if the pin is at the front.

In 2012 (I think, anyway it was the year of the Presidents Cup in Melbourne) I watched all the stars play 13. It was into the wind, and nobody went for it. It was the boring hole ever, watching 5 iron, sand wedge from 20 players in a row.

As to the event itself, despite the quirks of the course, I'm quite enjoying it. Kuchar and Keegan are earning their appearance money. i thought they may struggle in a stronger breeze than they usually play in, but they have showed their class. Ancer is even more of a surprise, but good luck to him.
    Trust me Jim, Ancer is no surprise!
    He has been competitive on the PGA Tour quite a bit lately.
    He will win on the Tour soon.
    Tomorrow could be his launchpad!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    Trust me Jim, Ancer is no surprise!
    He has been competitive on the PGA Tour quite a bit lately.
    He will win on the Tour soon.
    Tomorrow could be his launchpad!
    Top 20 in the FedEx with 2 top tens this season already. He’s a solid player.

Blog Entries

Default Australian Open at The Lakes

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Top 20 in the FedEx with 2 top tens this season already. He’s a solid player.
    Yeah he will definitely win this season.
    His putting is so solid.
    Seems like a nice guy too,
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Rob Williamson@bobhead2319

I haven’t heard one person yell “get in the hole” or “bubbaboui” at the Australian Open. It’s been great to watch. @GeoffShac@chambleebrandel@bhughesgolf@Rod_Morri

Bradley Hughes@bhughesgolf
    Following Following @bhughesgolf

Because if they did it in Australia the guy next to them
    would tell him he was a wanker & probably slap him- do it at a PGA event
    and people high five you

Some ordinary scores in from guys that went out early this morning considering how benign the weather was earlier...
    Wind picking up at my place so this arvo will be interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Nearly a wet back on 14.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Dimi 4 putt hurts

Thread Information