Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default The benefits of Par competitions

I’m a bit of a fan of Par comps, I see them for what they are. After reading the below article I think I like em a bit more.

Some interesting points of view and some statistics here. Important thing I see is that the comps are generally closer with less rounds in the 40+ points range and it’s easier to come back from a minus than it is to come back from a wipe.

http://www.insidegolf.com.au/opinion...-competitions/

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Always plenty of good tee times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 driver proforce V2 STaylorMade 2016 M2 3 woodMizuno mp fli-hi 21*Mizuno mp h4 4-pw KBS c-taper lite 105 rTitleist sm4 50, 54* & 58* Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider cs

Banned

Agreed. I much prefer a par round for the reason you pointed out. Heaps easier to come back from a minus than a wipe.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I’m a bit of a fan of Par comps, I see them for what they are. After reading the below article I think I like em a bit more.

Some interesting points of view and some statistics here. Important thing I see is that the comps are generally closer with less rounds in the 40+ points range and it’s easier to come back from a minus than it is to come back from a wipe.

http://www.insidegolf.com.au/opinion...-competitions/
    I am a big fan of Par, but it never gets played at Maryborough any more due to lack of support. For me, the main benefit of par comps is it limits the wipes, but also the 4 pointers. Since I get more wipes than 4 pointers, this is where I assume the better overall scoring comes from.

Any feedback on how often it gets played at everyone's clubs?

Used to be every third week in our Wednesday comp (stab / stroke / par rotation). I haven't played it at home in the last 12 months, but have had 2 rounds at Hervey Bay.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Any feedback on how often it gets played at everyone's clubs?

Used to be every third week in our Wednesday comp (stab / stroke / par rotation). I haven't played it at home in the last 12 months, but have had 2 rounds at Hervey Bay.
    Maybe <6 times a year I think.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Maybe <6 times a year I think.
    My club is about the same.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I like it.A mental game between You,the course and the gods.I see it more as a match play format,where as in stableford your day can be all over in the first few holes,Par comps you can come back

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

My clubs play par comps , but much more Stableford, I like it when we have a stroke comp on a Tuesday, all the old boys whinge .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    My club is about the same.
    My last club maybe twice a year on Saturday's. Not sure about the new club I'm at.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

I like them. Reddy Bay only has stab and stroke rounds except the week after renos. Gets very boring.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Eastern in Melbourne had them a lot when I was down there, I believe after the night they stroke round they tried to split the rest almost 50/50.

I do believe a lot of the older guys complained not long ago and they changed some of them back to stab.

I always wondered why it gets so poorly supported. I assume it's because a lot of the old boys have heaps of double bungers, and pick up a disproportionate amount of 4 and 5 pointers.

That seems to be the argument, old fella gets 2 shots on a par 3 and their eyes light up!

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    That seems to be the argument, old fella gets 2 shots on a par 3 and their eyes light up!
    Yep, I have to combat this every Saturday. I play in a group where I am the youngest and the lowest handicapper. I have to compete (in our 4ball) against guys that used to play off my handicap, but now are 10 shots or more higher. They are shorter off the tee, but still have the same short game and putting games. And they have perfected the Sandbag throw over the last few holes. I must ask them about Par events.As Pete says we haven't had one for 5+ years. I think it is because they all want to play their 4 ball matches and Stab is more suited for that than Par.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

We play no more than two or three a year. I don't play any of them.

Why? Too stressful. I do not enjoy the pressure of constantly putting for a square, where a missed par by an inch is the same score as hitting two balls out of bounds. Some like that, but not me.

The thing the old guys object to is the occasional hole where they can't reach the green in one over regulation, such as water carry holes where they have to lay up, so the best they are looking at is a square. That isn't enjoyable golf. i don't play my black marker day for the same reason. There are two holes I can't reach in regulation that I don't get shots on, so I have to get up and down for par just to get 2 points. I just don't enjoy that type of golf.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

I quite like Par for the same reason I like playing golf in wet weather. Both upset the grumpy pricks, they whinge and it is nice to see them making a choice, by playing golf on that day, to not have fun.

IDGAF what the format is. If I’m playing I try to put the ball in the hole. The score sorts itself out

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    IDGAF what the format is. If I’m playing I try to put the ball in the hole. The score sorts itself out
    Ah the old any hole is a goal adage. I like it. Though getting a kakaaa on a stroke hole doesn’t have the same gusto

Driver: Titleist 913D3 9.5*
    Hybrid: : Ping G20 17*
    Irons: Mizuno MP54 3-PW
    Wedges: Titleist 56* Standard Bounce
    Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey 35"
    Bag: Titleist s83 Staff

GOLFLINK

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Not a fan of them as I prefer grinding for my 1 pointer, instead of a wiping the hole if I can't make par. I prefer playing stroke events.

Our club has them about 6 times a year.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

I used to hate playing par, but once I adjusted my thinking to the 'matchplay against the course' idea, I don't mind it now.
    Handic(r)ap | 2024 Eclectic | WITB | GolfMap

10 glorious tours of the Uncivil War

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

I really like it, but as mentioned by Courty, it requires a change in mindset.

You stand on the tee knowing what score you have to shoot to square or win a hole.

You then decide what the best way to mitigate the risks, execute the shots, and make the score. Bunting 3w or hybrid around all day and staying out of trouble is worth it to pick up the 'easy' pluses, and remove the risk of minuses.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

I’m a bit ambivalent to Par events. I’ll certainly play them though when that’s the format for the Saturday comp at my club. They’re good because it brings the field closer together - it’s hard to score really bad or really good.At my club we’ve just come out of five straight Saturdays of Stroke due to club champs and monthly medal. Stroke really is the truest test of your game - there’s no place to hide, say, a poor short game. I think a lot of our handicaps would be quite different if we played more Stroke events. The obvious drawback is that Stroke rounds take longer.

Blog Entries

New club seems to have one every month on their comp. days, but that may just be a winter thing.

I like them, and if my game is in a trough or it looks like bad weather, I tend to have a sleep in and an hour or two practice instead of grinding out a potential -8 on the course.

The old club had par exclusively over winter on Wednesdays, to speed up play. It worked well last century.
    Then the 'Faldo routines' slowed down play, stableford sidebets added unnecessary putts and a few whingers wanted more variety, further slowing play with stroke rounds or trying to calculate an Irish Four Ball or Split Sixes instead of hitting the ball.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

I too disliked par events until I cottoned on to the matchplay idea. The only negative is that you get to play fewer shots for your $.

Thread Information