Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default WDYSTM - November 2018

Last post in last month, and thread starter the next month. Is this a record? Who cares.

33 points today, but this round deserves a bit of good and bad detail.

The good: my first ever birdie on the number 1 index hole, to finally complete the set. I estimate I've played the hole maybe 150 times without success until now. My partner holed an 80 footer on the last to square the match, after he hardly contributed all day.

The bad: it was a 3 club wind. Golf balls oscillating on greens, and you had to allow for the wind when putting. Much worse was the effect of the wind, which was to blow leaves everywhere. Either we were watching the group in front searching for golf balls in the leaves, or we were doing the searching. It was a very slow day.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Had what could have been the game of my life yesterday. I've never been so disappointed to shoot 45 points.

Dropped by the old club (Pacific) for a game with DC68 and after cashing in my voucher after a handy 44 points on my last visit didn't get off to a great start with a cold top off the first tee and ended up taking double bogey. Managed to birdie the 2nd after putting a wedge to 4ft and lipped out for birdie on the 3rd (after jagging the NTP at 145cm) and confidence in wedges was feeling good. Limped around the rest of the front nine with some boring golf, including another double on 8, but missed another 5 foot putt on the 9th for a tap in and 22 points.

Sprayed it off the tee on 10 and took yet another double and DC was backing me in for 12 points on the back nine. He couldn't have been more wrong. Holes 11-16 was a stretch of the best golf I have played in my life. The 14th was the only missed green (just missed, in the bunker) but all of the others I didn't have a birdie putt outside 5 feet. Unfortunately I missed 3/3 of those putts on 11, 12, and 13 and was starting to get annoyed. I managed to finally drain them on 15 and 16, although 15 was inside 2ft so I would hope I wouldn't miss. I needed to finish par par to shoot 79 and beat DC off the stick but in classic henno style took a bogey on 17, and with my final shot of the day 85m in on 18 hoping for a birdie, I shanked it onto the 1st, then three putted from 10 feet for my fourth double bogey of the day.

All in all I had more birdie putts than I can ever remember having before, and 7 of them were inside 5ft for the day and converted only 3 of them. I hit driver once all day (8th) and took double so that stayed in the bag again.

Won the day by some margin but I can't help thinking what could have been. Gee golf is easy when you hit GIR after GIR and stiff most of them to a few feet!

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Monthly medal, played early, but the wind was howling.
    Three up and down pars to start including 2 sand saves, four straight bogies, then finished par par for 40

Made birdie on 10, bogey on 11, then parred the next 6. Missed my first putt inside 15 foot on 16, then dropped a 50 footer for par on 17.

Found the water off the tee on 18, scrambled bogey. 77 nett 68, current clubhouse leader and first round in the 70s this year.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Well played Benno and Henno!

31 mediocre points today around the Nudge. Hit some good drives. One awful shank! Made some nice putts.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

37 Points in the wind today. Started with a dumb wipe on 1, then had 20 points for the rest of the 9. 17 points coming home finishing with 2x1 pointers. Birdie on 6. Putting is still a bit of a lottery with the greens being bumpy as. Handicrap down to 14.7, lowest in ages.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Monthly medal today with Olinda GC .Better start than last week with 4 putts on the first 3 holes and 7 points in the bank and I thought I was going to have a day out.Wasnt to bad in the end,not quite what I was hoping for.
    Had 32 putts for the day with only 1 x 3 putt.Picked up a birdie on the par3 6th.Missed a few more birdie chances and screwed up a few up and downs.
    Hi lite of the day.my drive on the 20th went 296m measured,and my drive on 24th went 301m.both tee shots are elevated to down hill fairways,but still a big hit

Finished 85/74 with 33 points

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    Monthly medal today with Olinda GC .Better start than last week with 4 putts on the first 3 holes and 7 points in the bank and I thought I was going to have a day out.Wasnt to bad in the end,not quite what I was hoping for.Had 32 putts for the day with only 1 x 3 putt.Picked up a birdie on the par3 6th.Missed a few more birdie chances and screwed up a few up and downs.Hi lite of the day.my drive on the 20th went 296m measured,and my drive on 24th went 301m.both tee shots are elevated to down hill fairways,but still a big hitFinished 85/74 with 33 pointsSent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk
    What was the winning score ? Wasnt like beaconhills I hope , last 3 comps 46 pts was the lowest winning score

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    What was the winning score ? Wasnt like beaconhills I hope , last 3 comps 46 pts was the lowest winning score
    John E on 68nett in a count back from Louie.Considering John is using my old driver and hitting further than ever,and my set up tip to Louie now sees him hitting it straighter and further,got to wonder why I never win

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Virginia GC
    Played to 7.4 yesterday with a 15ft uphill 4 putt thrown in the mix. Wild off the tee with 2 fairways hit and 4 GIR. Had at least 6 lip out putts and hit a tree on 13 occasions, so all in all a wierd round. Had a 6.7 flag coming off so glad to replace it with something close to the mark.
    Well done Henno and I bet you were like a cat in a bag as you walked off 13.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Some good scores above, did the 68 get the chockies Benno?

Medal day for us yesterday, greens hard and fast for club champs and other finals next week.

79/71 (missed 2 from inside 2feet) but a welcome return to some form, out in the first group of the day ahead of punting commitments. Given the heat and how tough the course was playing I had some hope the 71 might hang in...........it did until a net 70 in the 2nd group.

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGroves View Post
    Some good scores above, did the 68 get the chockies Benno?Medal day for us yesterday, greens hard and fast for club champs and other finals next week.79/71 (missed 2 from inside 2feet) but a welcome return to some form, out in the first group of the day ahead of punting commitments. Given the heat and how tough the course was playing I had some hope the 71 might hang in...........it did until a net 70 in the 2nd group.
    Thanks Perry, mine hung on. Won on countback with 37 around the back. Runner up had 38 to be desperately unlucky.Was a good Ozgolf Day. I won A grade, Monsta B, and Rickie Prowler runner up.

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Quote Originally Posted by WBennett View Post
    Thanks Perry, mine hung on. Won on countback with 37 around the back. Runner up had 38 to be desperately unlucky.Was a good Ozgolf Day. I won A grade, Monsta B, and Rickie Prowler runner up.
    Well done to the Canberra Connection.

Golf is, in part, a game; but only in part. It is also in part a religion, a fever, a vice, a mirage, a frenzy, a fear, an abscess, a joy, a thrill, a pest, a disease, an uplift, a brooding, a melancholy, a dream of yesterday and a hope for tomorrow. - New York Tribune, 1916.

Had a ok day yesterday. 14 points on the back 9 with a few brain farts to start the round. Sorted myself at the first 9nwith 23 points for 37 points for the day

Monthly Medal at Half Moon Bay yesterday in blustery conditions which I had yet to experience in my limited playing time as a member at HMB. 85 net 71 (par 70). Could have been so much better but too many poor chips and missed short putts was my undoing. The worst was a 2 foot gimme that I jabbed so badly it didn't even touch the edge of the hole. On the bright side it was a flagged round.
    Last edited by Dcanto; 4th November 2018 at 09:37 PM.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Good to see a few OzGolf winners saluting. I had an honest 31 points. 3-jiggled more than 5 times, and probably missed the hole from closer than DCanto did once. Drove well for most of the day, but the second shots weren't very good.

Highlight was hitting my second through the back of the green on the par 5 11th. Wind assisted, but it was still a big drive and a flushed 3-wood. Don't think I've done that before. Only made par though.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

34 points for me this week.

13 points on the way out, with some poor iron play and a cold putter, although the driver has started to work, after months being very poor off the tee.

Righted the ship on the way in with 37 off the stick, although I had 4 birdie putts in this nine and only converted 1.

I feel I have turned a corner and am confident that I can get lower into single digits.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Srixon 565 - 10.5 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon 565 - 15 deg stiff Miyazaki
    Srixon H45 - 90gr Stiff Whiteboard
    Fourteen DI w/ SPB Stiff
    Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW SPB's Stiff
    Fourteen MT28 TS Spec 53 & 58 DG Spinner
    Piretti Cortino

GOLF Link

BENCH

Drivers/Fairways/Hybrids

Yamaha v202 9.5* - Tourspec x flex
    Sonartec SS-03
    V Steel 3wd
    V Steel 4wd Attas T3 8x
    Titleist 585h 19*

Irons
    Mizuno MP33 3-P

Putters

Ping Anser, Anser 2, Scottsdale

Wedges
    Cleveland 54
    Fourteen 48

Quote Originally Posted by chappy1970 View Post
    34 points for me this week.13 points on the way out, with some poor iron play and a cold putter, although the driver has started to work, after months being very poor off the tee. Righted the ship on the way in with 37 off the stick, although I had 4 birdie putts in this nine and only converted 1.I feel I have turned a corner and am confident that I can get lower into single digits. Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Well done Chappy 👍First round for me in nearly 12 months, new club and started with a Par Comp😱Went out -7 and came home +2, very happy for the turnaround once the nerves settled

First Tuesday comp for me since last Christmas.Unfortunately due to weather we weren't able to qualify as only 4 turned up.Waited for the rain then headed to the 19th.Pulled tee shot into greenside bunker and then managed to up and down for 3/3.
    Second hole missed fairway to the right.Squeezed a soft 4 iron between trees to just short of green,up and down 4/3.
    Third hole hit fat 5 iron off the tee and then chipped 5 metres past the hole,rolled the par putt in for 3/3.
    Fourth hole pulled tee shot into hazard.Found ball in a playable spot and tried for green.Came up short in more hazard,chipped on and 2 putt for 5/2

11 points after 4 holes,5 putts and no fairways or greens in reg.Then the heavens opened up and that was it.We stood near the 5th tee for 10 minutes before walking back.Not long after the siren sounded and the course was evacuated by all.

My first black tee challenge at Kooindah today. 36pts with 5 x 3 jabs.

The worst part is winner of the day had 37 and won a Titty Stand Bag, I got beat on a C/B for 2nd who won a $100 Titty voucher and no prize for 3rd. Also anyone that has 37 or better wins a dozen Pro1V’s which obviously I fell short of also haha.

Gotta love golf.

41 points today off 7 at Penrith, 17/24
    3 over the front , 1 under in the back
    The 24 point back nine has staved off a few count backs so far
    TaylorMade 2016 M2 driver proforce V2 STaylorMade 2016 M2 3 woodMizuno mp fli-hi 21*Mizuno mp h4 4-pw KBS c-taper lite 105 rTitleist sm4 50, 54* & 58* Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider cs

Disappointing day..... played well during a stroke play game but end up DQ myself at the due to lost ball and cant but F to go back to play.

Oh well....

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Disappointing day..... played well during a stroke play game but end up DQ myself at the due to lost ball and cant but F to go back to play.

Oh well....
    This is where the Irish drop rule will help next year, nearest point of lost ball then 2 shot penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thecollective View Post
    This is where the Irish drop rule will help next year, nearest point of lost ball then 2 shot penalty Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Irish drop rule? Is this legit?

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Irish drop rule? Is this legit?
    It’s up to the club to bring it in, I think for the weekly club comps it’s a no brainer.

Any club champs or open I don’t think it’s a good idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 man Ambrose today,a joint effort with Olinda GC and Cardinia Beaconhills GC.Got off to a solid start with my partner Simon,3 over after 2 and already I had lost a ball.We managed to knuckle down and grind out a few pars,also managed 2 birdies to be +1 ots at the turn.Birdie on 1 was followed by a double on 2.The rest of the day was fairly uneventful,We did manage another birdie but had a bogey on 8 to go back out to 2over which was our final score gross.
    So a 72/63,not sure how that fared as I had to leave straight away,but it should be in the mix

Thread Information