Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast
    Member Teaching Pro

I think khawaja had other things on his mind. I'm surprised he played. I do think that at least the side had to show some heart and some fight. Just need a couple of people to score some runs.
    Will we have the same openers comes Friday is my question.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

One more Test. The batting probably won't change for Perth, but hardly any of them can afford two failures in the next one.

Harris looked OK, and frankly, the way we have gone in recent times two scores in the 20's is almost acceptable. But follow it up with two ducks and he'll struggle. Finch is is worse shape, and is most likely to be on his last chance. I watched his second innings closely, and I thought he looked out of his depth. It was a very M Marsh style innings, nothing but rigid defence or flashing blade attack. He didn't look in control at any time.

S Marsh and T Head probably did enough to get slightly more job security, but neither can afford two ducks, either. I'm betting Head will get lots of deliveries at his noggin after the way he played Sharma today.

With bowlers getting runs not only in the test but also in the Shield, maybe we should pick an all bowler lineup and toss the coin for batting order. I played a game where we did that once (it didn't work).

Unlike Stuart, I didn't see much of a silver lining in this game. On a sporting, but not threatening surface we made the Indian seamers look good, and our bowlers may not have the same success against Kohli and the openers in other games. I'm not sure we can score enough runs to win a test.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Finch is in the side because his elite honesty is elite.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Odd game, the Indians (bar Pujara) did not bat all that well either.

Thought the bowling units performed equally well and also thought they got the good end of the stick with some of the decisions and if you subtract the filth byes that Starc bowled plus the four of five no ball that didn't get called against Ishant I think we actually won.

The top six still looks pretty woeful and prone to the strangest of brain explosions. Would prefer no Finch, pick and stick with Renshaw.

Harris showed exactly what he has his whole career, flashes of brilliance but then just the strangest decisions. Will probably score a double in Perth.

Handscomb is pretty cooked IMO and would rather see (now Head scored some runs) Maxxy or Boo-urns come in.

I'd also drop Starc cause he was truly awful.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Cool footage of James Pattinson and Marcus Stoinis going head to head on the Cricket Australia site.

The Warriors said that Pattinson is back bowling as quick as he used to, and he is batting well. As I said a while ago, I would be tempted to play Pattinson instead of Hanscomb - don’t lose much in terms of batting and gain a lot as the fourth quick bowler. Pattinson at no. 7, Cummins at 8 and Starc at 9 is pretty solid, particularly with Lyon’s improved batting. Starc can be hot and cold, so having Patto as a fourth bowling option is pretty useful. Biggest problem with this is that Paine is simply not good enough to bat at no. 6.

Stoinis also had a pretty good match, and did much better than Mitch Marsh with both bat and ball. Perhaps Warnie is right (I rarely say that) and he should replace Hanscomb.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

IMHO to replace a no 5 or 6 batsmen with a bowling allrounder or a keeping allrounder they need to show they have a rock solid defence and can bat for long periods ( atm I think that rules out all our batsmen)
    Imran Kahn was the last success at improving his batting and going up the order ended up batting at 5 and scoring runs . I reckon Cummins has the potential. Maybe our high performance lads should be working on some of these guys, stoinis batting maxwell bowling Pattinson batting etc

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Pattinson not even aiming for a recall this season.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Pattinson will be too busy taking wickets for the mighty Brisbane Heat, in the only form of the game that matters anymore.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Pattinson is still on bowling restrictions. If he gets back to peak fitness without injury lookout as he is an absolute gun and would comfortably fit in with Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood.

I'd leave it as pick and stick for the second. Give 'em a go now they got picked. If they do happen to ease Finch down the order i'd consider throwing Marsh in the big end as much as Kwaka. I wouldn't cry if Stoinis got a gig. His competitiveness would not go astray.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post

I'd leave it as pick and stick for the second. Give 'em a go now they got picked.
    I don't agree with the selectors' thinking, but I would back them in that regard - we need to get back to the idea of picking our best available XI* and then giving them sufficient time (i.e. all four Tests) to show their wares. Then, if it is clear that they don't have the potential to succeed, send them back to the Shield and make them earn their spot through runs or wickets. The fact that we are entering silly season with no first-class cricket means that we should just support the guys chosen at this stage and hope they come good, rather than picking the latest 'flavour of the month' who happens to slog a quick and meaningless 50 off 20 balls for the Cobar Camels against the Kingaroy Kookaburras.

* On that note, I can't believe that there is talk about dropping Starc after one Test - WTF? Our batting remains a total shambles and the focus is instead on our bowlers who are actually doing the job OK. Yeah - great logic. If he is still struggling after four Tests, feel free to drop him. But not after one less than optimal performance.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I don’t have access to them, but there was a stat raised during the first test to show our bowling attack hasn’t actually been going that well for the last 12 months (it might have been this calendar year). It had Starc, Hazlewood averaging 40+ with the ball.

Cummins was the standout, with double the wickets and averaging under 30.

Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    I don’t have access to them, but there was a stat raised during the first test to show our bowling attack hasn’t actually been going that well for the last 12 months (it might have been this calendar year). It had Starc, Hazlewood averaging 40+ with the ball.

Cummins was the standout, with double the wickets and averaging under 30.
    Would that have anything to do with the spin friend pitches we have payed on or that our batsmen have give the bowling side nothing to bowl at. I read that Australia have only part 300 once in the last 14 innings...

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney Hacker View Post
    Sounds feasible, but of course it depends on how they have arrived at those figures and I think it was a bit of a biased representation of the three quicks' actual performance.

I assume that they decided to use 2018 Tests, rather than a fairer representation across the entire 2017/18 season (or even just the last 12 months). Bear in mind that at that point Australia had only played one Test at home in 2018 (in Sydney on a flat batting track that Australia made 7-650). The rest were in South Africa (which was somewhat affected by other issues) and the UAE (more very flat tracks).

The three quicks averaged (collectively) 30-odd against South Africa, which was OK, but not admittedly not great, and was largely due to Cummins great performances. Then, both Hazlewood and Cummins were both missing in the UAE on flat decks where Starc averaged nearly 45 and Pakistan opened the bowling with spinners.

If they had chosen to use the stats for 2017/18 season (i.e. the entire ICC season that finishes 1 April each calendar year), things look a bit different. For example, if you include the last full home series (Ashes), all the quicks averaged around 25 or lower and this was still on pretty flat decks (think of Melbourne and Sydney in particular). The media can manipulate stats to say whatever they want them to in order to make a story. Of course, so can I ...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I don't agree with the selectors' thinking, but I would back them in that regard - we need to get back to the idea of picking our best available XI* and then giving them sufficient time (i.e. all four Tests) to show their wares. Then, if it is clear that they don't have the potential to succeed, send them back to the Shield and make them earn their spot through runs or wickets. The fact that we are entering silly season with no first-class cricket means that we should just support the guys chosen at this stage and hope they come good, rather than picking the latest 'flavour of the month' who happens to slog a quick and meaningless 50 off 20 balls for the Cobar Camels against the Kingaroy Kookaburras.

* On that note, I can't believe that there is talk about dropping Starc after one Test - WTF? Our batting remains a total shambles and the focus is instead on our bowlers who are actually doing the job OK. Yeah - great logic. If he is still struggling after four Tests, feel free to drop him. But not after one less than optimal performance.
    They wouldn't be silly enough to drop Starc unless he has a niggle. He might be a couple of gallops short. They should have allowed him more work in the lead up imo with hindsight. Even struggling he took 5-103 granted three were the tail. He batted ok as well and might not have been far off some good runs. He's an absolute gun and if he bounces back he could be a match winner in Perth.

Unfortunately this is the reality minus Smith and Warner.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    They wouldn't be silly enough to drop Starc unless he has a niggle. He might be a couple of gallops short. They should have allowed him more work in the lead up imo with hindsight. Even struggling he took 5-103 granted three were the tail. He batted ok as well and might not have been far off some good runs. He's an absolute gun and if he bounces back he could be a match winner in Perth. Unfortunately this is the reality minus Smith and Warner.
    Again, agree with all of this. Particularly the part about us all needing to accept this is the reality of losing our two best batsmen (one of whom is arguably performing at a level greater than any Australian since Bradman).I still disagree with the media’s idea of moving Usman up to opener. He should be our no. 3 once Warner and Smith return, so why move him short-term and potentially disrupt his form as well. He is good enough to make it succeed, but I’ve never bought into the idea of weakening one area in the attempt to improve another. Keep the strength at no. 3 and instead pick genuine openers (Renshaw or Burns at this point) if you are going to drop Finch.

Didn't see any of it, but looks like Finch and Harris both did reasonably well. Great to see - hope it continues.

Batting got harder as it went on. If our tail wag a bit it will be a very interesting total.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Didn't see any of it, but looks like Finch and Harris both did reasonably well. Great to see - hope it continues.
    Harris was good, but I thought Finch was a bit lucky. He was actually starting to look good just as he got out. I don't think India bowled too well to him.

Khawaja was awful. Maybe he just needs time in the middle and his form will come back, but right now he looks right out of form. Which is a major worry, as the rest of the batting order showed glimpses of good play, but not enough to carry a passenger at number 3 for a test or two.

I'm not sure whether this is and will be a good total or not. Obviously how we bowl and how India bat will tell the story. If we bowl like Bumrah did, there might be a lot of play and miss, but not wickets. He was easily their best bowler, but doesn't have the figures to show it.

I'm glad India didn't pick a spinner. Jadeja may have been difficult if he could take advantage of the variable bounce, and our weakness against quality spin should be well known. Lyon could go very well.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Did India’s quicks bowl a touch too short? I haven’t seen any of it, but whenever I read that the batsmen played and missed a lot, I assume (particularly on bouncy tracks) that the bowlers were missing their lengths a touch.

Did India’s quicks bowl a touch too short? I haven’t seen any of it, but whenever I read that the batsmen played and missed a lot, I assume (particularly on bouncy tracks) that the bowlers were missing their lengths a touch.
    They didn't boel as well as the last test. They'll rue not picking a spinner.Pitch started to do funny random things. Starc will take 5 for

They were consistently too short overall.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Can’t help but feel we need to take a fairly healthy first innings lead. While the pitch may get harder to bat on, I don’t think it will get dramatically more difficult. I really can’t see our batsmen making 300 again in the second innings, so we need at least 100 run lead to have something useful to bowl at on the 4th/5th days.

Can’t help but feel we need to take a fairly healthy first innings lead. While the pitch may get harder to bat on, I don’t think it will get dramatically more difficult. I really can’t see our batsmen making 300 again in the second innings, so we need at least 100 run lead to have something useful to bowl at on the 4th/5th days.
    Pitch was far better on day 2 than day 1, ....we gotta get Kohli or we'll be 100 behind

That’s exactly what worries me - that scenario will likely see India chasing about 50 for victory by tea on day 4.

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    Khawaja was awful. Maybe he just needs time in the middle and his form will come back, but right now he looks right out of form. Which is a major worry, as the rest of the batting order showed glimpses of good play, but not enough to carry a passenger at number 3 for a test or two.
    Need you to cast a critical eye on Handscomb Jim, he needs it badly. I have a feeling they might change him out for Mitch Marsh next Test tho.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information