Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    There is s solid difference for sure in the batting lineups. That would be well and truly negated minus the bans of course.
    Yep - all other things being equal (i.e. confidence not being shattered by the selectors) an Australian top order of Warner, Renshaw, Ussie, Smith, Head and Hanscomb would be pretty solid and I’d back Australia to probably beat India (at home). But the current side is both bereft of talent and confidence, which is a bad combination.Would love to see a repeat of the fight we saw in the First Test against Pakistan, but suspect we will instead see a repeat of the capitulation in the 2nd.

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Yep - all other things being equal (i.e. confidence not being shattered by the selectors) an Australian top order of Warner, Renshaw, Ussie, Smith, Head and Hanscomb would be pretty solid and I’d back Australia to probably beat India (at home). But the current side is both bereft of talent and confidence, which is a bad combination.Would love to see a repeat of the fight we saw in the First Test against Pakistan, but suspect we will instead see a repeat of the capitulation in the 2nd.
    It must be nice to have such intimate access to the psychology of the Australian first class cricketers.

So many references to their lack of/destroyed confidence.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Not an unreasonable observation.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    It must be nice to have such intimate access to the psychology of the Australian first class cricketers.

So many references to their lack of/destroyed confidence.
    Plenty of people have claimed to have intimate knowledge of my psychology on this website.

I'll make it even easier for them in this post.

We need 323 in a day and a half. I thought India let us off the hook a bit in the last hour. Grinding out another 70 would have been better for them and worse for us.

This is an achievable target. Or it would be if we have six batsmen who can bat. I suspect if we depend on the tail for anything we'll be disappointed. Ashwin will be a handful for the top order, and might be unplayable for the tail. India must wish they had picked Jadeja.

Can we do it? Maybe, but probably not.

One last thing. This has been a great test cricket pitch. Some early life, flattened out, then good for spinners but not unplayable for batsmen who are good enough. More of these pitches, please.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Agree - great Test pitch and enjoyable Test match.

There is some hope in that Shaun Marsh has made it past 10. When he does that, there is a reasonable chance that he will kick on to a big score. Just need Head to stick with him - I still have some hope!

Agree - great Test pitch and enjoyable Test match.

There is some hope in that Shaun Marsh has made it past 10. When he does that, there is a reasonable chance that he will kick on to a big score. Just need Head to stick with him - I still have some hope!
    History suggests there’s more chance of a jolly fat bloke coming down your chimney than the Australian test team fighting hard to save or win a test in the 4th innings.

I am a pessimist by nature, until things look really bad, and then I become an optiimist for some reason.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I am a pessimist by nature, until things look really bad, and then I become an optiimist for some reason.
    Nothing wrong with that. We did get a miracle recently in the UAE LOL
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

A pessimist says things can’t get any worse, an optimist says oh yes they can.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    A pessimist says things can’t get any worse, an optimist says oh yes they can.
    I like that one

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Nothing wrong with that. We did get a miracle recently in the UAE LOL
    Not sure if we’ll get another one quite so soon, but I remain hopeful!Nice thing (in a way) about being in London at the moment is that I wake up in the morning and find a recap on the day (rather than watching live and getting really depressed).

Not sure if we’ll get another one quite so soon, but I remain hopeful!Nice thing (in a way) about being in London at the moment is that I wake up in the morning and find a recap on the day (rather than watching live and getting really depressed).
    Yeah it's a tough gig live particularly given the calamities of Finch and Harris not going the review. Nigel Llong has had a shocking test.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Llong is usually pretty good, if a bit trigger happy on LBWs. Not sure who the best umpire going around at the moment is - they all seem to have good and bad patches.

Funnily enough, I was sent an article the other day about Steve Randell - was a great umpire, but a seriously screwed up individual from the sound of things. What surprised me was that he is only in his early 60s now; I would have thought he was much older than that.

Llong is usually pretty good, if a bit trigger happy on LBWs. Not sure who the best umpire going around at the moment is - they all seem to have good and bad patches.

Funnily enough, I was sent an article the other day about Steve Randell - was a great umpire, but a seriously screwed up individual from the sound of things. What surprised me was that he is only in his early 60s now; I would have thought he was much older than that.
    He looked pretty old back in the day before jail, and that's a long time ago.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It’d be unaustralian to think we can’t win.

Where is damoocow these days?

If Marsh and Head can reach lunch unscathed and score another 70-100 runs, it will be interesting to see the pressure start to go back onto India. The visitors should win here, and they know it. But as runs needed starts to come down, the expectations will start to weight on Virat et al.

Just hope that happens ...

What’s people’s thoughs on the slow out field making it harder to get easy boundaries?
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchman View Post
    What’s people’s thoughs on the slow out field making it harder to get easy boundaries?
    India don’t run well between wickets?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

At least our bowlers are having a dig.

Great effort by Queensland to chase down 414 with just 6 wickets down.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

So close but no Cigar. Good fight by the tail to give a glimmer of hope of stealing the game. Pity the top order can’t put up as much resistance and make runs.
    Hit Them Well or Hit Them Often

W.I.T.B

Frustrating to see the tail-enders outdoing the top order, but, sadly, it was fairly easy to predict pre-Test. Congrats to India for a well deserved victory, but some promising signs all in all for Australia as well. I know that this sounds bad, but for Australia to have only lost by 30-odd is a pretty positive outcome ahead of the 2nd Test. I reckon that if Perth Stadium can put out a pitch with some decent pace and bounce, we could be in for a real show of winning there. MCG and SCG could be a different story though.

Still perplexed why there is discussion about Finch's best place in the batting order, rather than discussion as to why the hell he is there at all. He hasn't performed consistently at first-class level recently (or ever really) to demand a spot, and was only brought into the Test team on the back of good form opening in ODIs. If he isn't opening, why would you play him? Surely Maxwell brings more to the table if you are looking for a 'slogger' at no. 6? Definitely give him another chance as an opener in the 2nd Test, but if he fails again, I would bring Burns (or preferably Renshaw if he gets back in the runs) into the team as a straight swap.

He's an awkward one. They've probably got to pick and stick now and the others speak highly of him and seem to want him there and expect him to be there for some time going by some of the talk during the test. If they are going to keep him there and by certain accounts they are i'd actually support throwing him down the order. His first class average opening is abysmal tho admittedly he went OK over the UAE in drastically different conditions.

But yeh they probably have to stick it out at the very least for another game with these guys. The problem with putting him down the order is Kwaka then opens and i don't think it's his best gig so maybe you are right.

Mitch Marsh did bugger all with the bat in the Shield so he won't be rushed back. They probably need to stick it out with Head, Handscomb and Harris for the series now with a view to England. The game would have been vastly different with Warner and smith of course.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Marsh's problem (goes for both of them) is that he isn't any good. When you've been gifted 35 Tests and still cant average more than 36, you aren't up to Test standard.

At least he should be able to improve on his average against India though - a whopping 21. Maybe he has swallowed so much of Langers load that it is effecting his balance and concentration?
    Hahaha i didn't see this. He did bat well today until he got out and not many other bats did much of anything apart from Head in the first dig so the selectors will be falling over themselves to keep picking him. Mitch has got to get runs and outperform his all rounder team mate as well. Didn't happen again today on both counts.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

I dont expect too much out of most of the batsmen however i am also not in the position anymore that I know the obvious replacements that are playing Shield.

That said, Khawaja annoys the piss out of me, cause he should be better.

Thread Information