Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Default The Cricket Season of 2018/19

Renshaw made a ton in grade cricket today.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Really hope all the Australian batsmen play the next Shield round, as they need to get back to basics.Finch and Head both look totally out of form and Head in particular looks to be lacking confidence. If one of the peripheral players scores big in this round, and Head fails, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Head miss out.
    Head needs to open or not be in the team at all, fwiw i think he'll get dropped

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Head is a spud.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Growing somewhat concerned about Finch’s cricketing nous. Evidently, he decided to promote Lynn to the top of the order yesterday as the side “weren’t making good starts”.

This is bizarre thinking - we are not making good starts because we are 4-20 off the first ten overs, and this is not going to be fixed by promoting yet another middle-order slogger to open. It would have made more sense to have either Marsh or even Carey open, if they had definitely moved away from Head, as they are technically more likely to succeeed. Lynn is a great middle order option, but not when the ball is moving around.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

It was certainly a curious option particularly in a decider against high class bowling.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Especially when the two saffers built an innings slowly into something special (granted our late bowling was poor too), a concept we seem unable to grasp these days.

When asked why he choose to bat Maxwell so low, his response was that Maxie hasn’t been scoring enough runs and has therefore been demoted to no. 7. Using that logic, Shaun Marsh will open by himself with the remaining 10 players all batting at no. 7.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Very interesting test match taking place in Sri Lanka at the moment.

England have a batting lineup of two openers who may not have secured their place long term, Joe Root, then six players who are all best suited to six or seven. Bairstow isn't in the team yet. Understandable considering how the so-called reserve keeper made a ton in the previous test. But if he was, they could field a lineup with three keeper/batsmen in it.

To my eyes, the best of all of them might be Sam Curran. He looked really good for a guy who bats 8 or 9.

The good thing about such a lineup is runs will be scored quickly. But there must be a danger of total collapse if they are exposed to the new ball early, and are asked to dig in.

In local news, this weekend of Shield cricket might hold more interest than a round of domestic cricket has done for years. Test players playing Shield, and many of them with a test spot on the line. Pity it isn't on TV (which isn't said very often about Shield cricket).
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Cannot fault the selection of Harris given others in line for the job haven't gone out and overly grabbed it while he has been very good. Back up bowling choices are air too. Finch and Head will need to perform.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I am always nervous when the selectors pick someone on the basis of one good innings - take his 250* out of the picture and Harris' stats don't look particularly great. However, he has been much more consistent every since he escape the Langer regime in Western Australia, and he has performed at a reasonable level for the past two years (average over 40). Not stellar, but probably better than the other options.

He has a real chance to establish himself as the partner for Warner in 2019 and beyond. Finch's technique is poor, and he will be found out in Test cricket, so I can't see him lasting past this home summer. I still think Renshaw is being treated incredibly harshly, and would have liked to see the selectors 'pick and stick' with him (much as they did with David Boon, Steve Waugh etc back in mid 1980s), but Harris now has that chance.

I am always nervous when the selectors pick someone on the basis of one good innings - take his 250* out of the picture and Harris' stats don't look particularly great. However, he has been much more consistent every since he escape the Langer regime in Western Australia, and he has performed at a reasonable level for the past two years (average over 40). Not stellar, but probably better than the other options.

He has a real chance to establish himself as the partner for Warner in 2019 and beyond. Finch's technique is poor, and he will be found out in Test cricket, so I can't see him lasting past this home summer. I still think Renshaw is being treated incredibly harshly, and would have liked to see the selectors 'pick and stick' with him (much as they did with David Boon, Steve Waugh etc back in mid 1980s), but Harris now has that chance.
    They've stuffed up on both Renshaw and Burns for mine. Both had hard times on the sub continent and paid for it both abroad and at home while others maybe didn't so much.

Harris has earned a gig i think. He did get that two fitty. Finch might be better down the order.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I am less convinced by Burns - he is another one with technique issues that gets caught out against the moving ball (which is a real problem for an opener). Plays with an angled bat defensively and gets beaten too often on both inside and outside edge. He’s another one (like Finch) who would probably do better in the middle order than opening.

I am less convinced by Burns - he is another one with technique issues that gets caught out against the moving ball (which is a real problem for an opener). Plays with an angled bat defensively and gets beaten too often on both inside and outside edge. He’s another one (like Finch) who would probably do better in the middle order than opening.
    I thought he had worked hard and overcome much of that by the time he scored the 170 and 60 odd against Boult and Southee at home in swinging conditions. Still a bit hit and miss at the lower level tho so you might be right.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Interesting to see whether they go with Head or Handscomb for the final batting spot.

Personally, I would go with Handscomb, who looks in slightly better form and, as a right handler, balances out the top 6. Ishant and Ashwin both love bowling to left handlers, but not so much at the righties. I’m a bit worried about that against an Australian order with four of the top six being left-handed.

As much as I like Head, he should be behind Handscomb for mine.

Interesting to see whether they go with Head or Handscomb for the final batting spot.

Personally, I would go with Handscomb, who looks in slightly better form and, as a right handler, balances out the top 6. Ishant and Ashwin both love bowling to left handlers, but not so much at the righties. I’m a bit worried about that against an Australian order with four of the top six being left-handed.
    Agreed. Handscomb for me, Head hasn't scored that many runs recently.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

OK - so we are all in agreement that the selectors will definitely go for Head then!

Blog Entries

Head is everything that is wrong with aussie test batting. Angled bat, loose as all hell, average first class record.

Handy pete for me everytime. Not that he is miles better.

Maxxy has a better first class record than both.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Interesting to see whether they go with Head or Handscomb for the final batting spot.Personally, I would go with Handscomb, who looks in slightly better form and, as a right handler, balances out the top 6. Ishant and Ashwin both love bowling to left handlers, but not so much at the righties. I’m a bit worried about that against an Australian order with four of the top six being left-handed.
    Go BOTH,and drop the failed experiment that is Marsh of the Mitch variety

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Go BOTH,and drop the failed experiment that is Marsh of the Mitch variety
    They won't be dropping the newly appointed vice captain.

Get the humble pie ready, for I am going to make a prediction that could go horribly wrong.

I don't think we will go nearly as badly as some are predicting, and more relevantly, I don't think the Indian bowling is anywhere near as good as they are being talked up to be.

Our bowling attack is still at full strength (until the rotation policy is reintroduced, of course), and I was greatly encouraged by the fact that India couldn't get our C Graders out in their warmup game.

Ishant Sharma has always been ordinary in Australia, Umesh Yadav isn't as good as any of our bowlers, and Kumar may be dangerous for 3 overs with the moving ball, but after that he is ordinary. Bumrah (great name for crowd sledging) is a limited overs bowler. The evidence of previous tours is that Ashwin and Jadeja aren't effective on our pitches. So my conclusion is that this might be a good time to get into the team as a batsman, and then make hay while the sun shines.

Can our bats do that? The Marshes always worry me with their fragile starts, but I think Finch might go well opening, and if Harris is any good, we might be 2 for 200 before any collapse led by a Marsh. Or the Marshes might come good. I hope so.

One thing I'm expecting is dead pitches everywhere, not that we prepare pitches to advantage like everyone else does. It could be very hard to get Kohli out, but it may be hard to get Khawaja out as well.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

All good points - and I hope you are right and I am wrong!

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the warm-up game, as it was a very flat track and the Indian bowlers weren’t really going all out. Ishant worries me though; I suspect that if India are going to win he will be the key. Langer has confirmed that Head will definitely play, so it looks like we will take a very ‘leftie’ biased top-order (Harrris, Usman, Shaun Marsh and Head) and Ishant bowls really well against lefties from around the wicket. Umesh could also surprise, as he is quicker than he looks and bowls some reasonable outswing with the new ball.

I agree re their spinners though. No offices from overseas have been effective here since Hugh Tayfield. Jadeja isn’t effective anywhere other than on Bunsen burners (where, admittedly, he is awesome) and I can’t see him getting a run unless India’s batting somehow backfires and they want to strengthen the lower order.

If Australia are going to either draw or win the series, I think that our lower order of Cummins and Starc will need to score a lot of runs.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Any crowd predictions?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Any crowd predictions?
    Lots more blue than canary yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Any crowd predictions?
    Lots of members (tho you might not be able to see them as they'll be on the "village green" out the back drinking Pimms). Lots of Indians in the non-members. Probably a good crowd for days 1-3 at least.

Day 1 is forecast to be 36+ degrees - should be a good batting day!

Thread Information