Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Thunder offered to only bowl spin but that was rejected by the umpires due to safety concerns for the crowd.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by pt73 View Post
    Thunder offered to only bowl spin but that was rejected by the umpires due to safety concerns for the crowd.
    Interesting - where did you read that? The quotes I have seen indicate that Thunder were happy to play on (understandably) but it was the Heat who refused (also understandably). Evidently, the umpires said that both teams had to agree to play on - https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...0b66d3d8f1624b

It does raise some serious concerns about the day/night Test - can you imagine the bleating if Australia was playing India or England under lights and the visitors had us at 2-10 and the lights went out ...

Shane Bond said it on Fox just before the game was called off and you're correct that the Heat had to agree which they declined to do.

From the SMH article today.

"They made a call, it was deemed they would agree to play if Brisbane agreed to play. When they didn't agree, the match referee said it was unsafe.

Just read that there is 25 games still left - holy crap! How long does this go on for? Way too many matches to my mind.

The BBL boss has compared it to the length of NRL and AFL seasons.

Slightly flawed comparison when the NRL has 16 teams, AFL has 18 and BBL has 8.

BBL has 59 games this season up from 43 ...... holy crap is right.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

It's for the benefit of our test team.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    It's for the benefit of our test team.
    Well said, it’s CA’s cunning plan for test dominance.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

CAXI in to bat again. Lets hope a couple of them stay in long enough to get a work out.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Nope ...

If the selectors are looking at picking from this, Burns and Renshaw haven’t done their chances much good.

Can they go outside the squad they have already selected Stuart?
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

They can’t not pick everyone though, no one has played 4 day cricket for over a month.

Siddle won’t ever play for Australia again, that was a massive fail.

It won't have affected his Ashes chances much at all tho. He certainly had a tough time of it. If Patterson knocks up another biggie he won't be far away.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Technically there is nothing stopping them naming whoever they want, up until the time of the toss and the captains formally exchange the team sheets. However, baring last minute injury or illness, I cannot remember the selectors going outside of a named squad. Unfortunately for both Patterson and the selectors, they named the squad way too early in hindsight and should have waited until after this match. Particularly as Patterson has been playing red ball club cricket in Sydney, rather than the T20, and has evidently been in great touch.

Interesting that the 2 centurions in the first innings were the two players who weren’t really involved in the Big Bash (I think that Doran may have played once or twice, but I could be wrong on that).

The upshot of it all is that young Will Pucovski, on the back of 23, is the big winner and will bat at no. 6. Marnus has also cemented his place for the time being. I can’t see them changing the order between the two Tests (and neither should they, as they need to give the players at least two matches to show their worth), so Patterson’s chances are pretty much gone for the foreseeable future. Once Warner and Smith (and potentially Bancroft) come back, opportunities will be much harder. Timing can be a bitch - its funny how a baggy green can be so close and probably deserved, and yet may never eventuate.

Not sure which way they will go with the other opener to partner Harris - neither Renshaw or Burns did their chances much good, but they have to pick one of them. I would guess they go with Burns, as he was in better form going in, and also as it gives a bit better balance of right/left handlers in the order.

Other interesting news is that Josh Hazlewood is out of the two Tests with a back injury - replaced by Richardson. Hope they play young Jhye and not Siddle ...
    Last edited by Stuart; 19th January 2019 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Technically there is nothing stopping them naming whoever they want, up until the time of the toss and the captains formally exchange the team sheets. However, baring last minute injury or illness, I cannot remember the selectors going outside of a named squad. Unfortunately for both Patterson and the selectors, they named the squad way too early in hindsight and should have waited until after this match. Particularly as Patterson has been playing red ball club cricket in Sydney, rather than the T20, and has evidently been in great touch.

Interesting that the 2 centurions in the first innings were the two players who weren’t really involved in the Big Bash (I think that Doran may have played once or twice, but I could be wrong on that).
    I can't remember an occasion either which is why i wondered. The red ball club cricket certainly would have helped as most have had no red ball cricket as 3 said. I definitely saw Doran play a T20 game a short while back but it appears it's the only one. Patterson is one of not that many averaging over 40 in FC but needs to improve his conversion rate. He's obviously talented.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

The upshot of it all is that young Will Pucovski, on the back of 23, is the big winner and will bat at no. 6. Marnus has also cemented his place for the time being. I can’t see them changing the order between the two Tests (and neither should they, as they need to give the players at least two matches to show their worth), so Patterson’s chances are pretty much gone for the foreseeable future. Once Warner and Smith (and potentially Bancroft) come back, opportunities will be much harder. Timing can be a bitch - its funny how a baggy green can be so close and probably deserved, and yet may never eventuate.

Not sure which way they will go with the other opener to partner Harris - neither Renshaw or Burns did their chances much good, but they have to pick one of them. I would guess they go with Burns, as he was in better form going in, and also as it gives a bit better balance of right/left handlers in the order.

Other interesting news is that Josh Hazlewood is out of the two Tests with a back injury - replaced by Richardson. Hope they play young Jhye and not Siddle ...
    I think Burns would sneak in as well as Renshaw has been struggling for runs excepting club cricket here and there. The selectors know Siddle inside out and it would be a great chance to give Richardson exposure. He's got that nice outswinger at pace and could be quite good in England who beat India 4-1 over there just before they came out here.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Can't really fault Patterson at this point - the selectors want players scoring 100s and he's done it twice. Shame neither of them will count as first-class centuries, but great effort nonetheless. Highlights the folly of naming the Test squad before this game though - the selectors will look like pillocks picking any of the others when they have been so obviously outperformed.

On the basis of what I have seen so far, the team for the First Test that I would pick is:

Harris
    Khawaja
    Labuschagne
    Patterson
    Head
    Pucovski
    Paine
    Cummins
    Starc
    Richardson
    Lyon

They won't do that of course - Burns will open with Harris, and Siddle will replace Hazlewood.

Edit: It would be fantastic for the selectors to acknowledge their mistake and add Patterson to the squad, but I can't see them doing that. Instead, I can see Langer coming out and saying something meaningless like that Patterson needs to continue performing and he is in the selectors' "thoughts".
    Last edited by Stuart; 19th January 2019 at 03:21 PM.

Both digs n.o. too and scored at a nice clip. Admittedly 9 blokes bowled but that can make it harder to concentrate at times too.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I can’t believe to clamour to include someone on the back of a practice match and not much else. No one mentioned the guys name when the squad was originally announced

Quote Originally Posted by coalesce View Post
    I can’t believe to clamour to include someone on the back of a practice match and not much else. No one mentioned the guys name when the squad was originally announced
    Actually, there has been a fair bit of talk around Patterson in recent years - he was rated as the best performing batsman on the recent Aus A tour of India, and scored a great 100 recently in the Shield game in Perth. As TNO noted earlier, he is one of the few guys running around at the moment who actually has a first-class average above 40. Clearly coming from a minor state that doesn't have parochial selectors pushing his name forward at all costs is counting against him.
    Last edited by Stuart; 19th January 2019 at 03:26 PM.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Actually, there has been a fair bit of talk around Patterson in recent years - he was rated as the best performing batsman on the recent Aus A tour of India, and scored a great 100 recently in the Shield game in Perth.
    Nonetheless it seems a bit reactionary at this particular moment when considering warm up matches like this. Reminds me of 20 over pub games I played back in the UK where everyone got 2 overs...

The guy has been under consideration for ages. I mentioned him before the squad was picked. The selectors were getting hot to put him in a season or so ago here but he had a couple of failures at the critical time.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Nonetheless it seems a bit reactionary at this particular moment when considering warm up matches like this. Reminds me of 20 over pub games I played back in the UK where everyone got 2 overs...
    Didn't seem to help Burns and Renshaw much tho.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Fair enough - but who would you pick instead? Burns or Renshaw who both look woefully out of touch? No-one else is really sticking up their hand (admittedly due at least partially to the Big Bash). At least Patterson has been performing well for a few seasons, did well against spin in India, did well against pace at Perth, and just scored twin hundreds. Not sure what else he could be doing, other than moving to WA or Qld.

The current Sheffield Shield leading batting averages (ignoring anomalies like Michael Nesser), the guys who have played at least four games and are averaging over 40 are:

Burns - 47.20 (looks out of touch)
    Cooper - 45.54 (was only included in the South Australian team due to injury)
    Hanscomb - 45.12 (tried and failed)
    Harris - 71.57 (already in the team)
    Henriques - 41.20 (old, tried and failed)
    Hughes - 46.20 (has potential)
    Larkin - 49.40 (hasn’t done enough yet)
    Lehmann - 46.10 (has potential)
    Patterson - 47.55
    Stoinus - 42.57 (wouldn’t complain about his inclusion)
    Wade - 63.44 (talks too much - can't complain too much though, as he got a bonus Test recall when they bizarrely decided to replace Nevill who didn't abuse the opposition enough.)
    White - 41.85 (older than Moises, tried and failed)

Of those, Burns, Patterson and Stoinus (to me) stand out. Not sure if you have been watching the tour match (its actually been pretty good), but Burns looked awfully out of touch.
    Last edited by Stuart; 19th January 2019 at 03:50 PM.

Thread Information