Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Coming back to the point I made yesterday about all-rounders - why was Ashton Agar not considered? He is a bowler and useful batsman, but is overlooked in favour of the two M’s (Mitch and Marcus) who are nominally batsmen and stopgap bowlers. The fact that they are both totally out of form with the bat seems to somewhat negate the reason for picking them. Why not play someone like Agar, who strengthens the bowling lineup while not really weakening the batting at all? I know he skipped a Shield game recently for health issues, but he is playing for Perth in the T20 so I assume he is available.

Personally, I would ditch the fool’s search for an allrounder and go with the logic of consistently picking the best six batsmen, a wickkeeper and the best four bowlers for the conditions. The only change to the team between venues occurs in the bowling lineup, where you may choose to play a second spinner on certain decks. I struggle to understand the argument by (mostly) Victorians who say you should use Finch as an opener in some conditions, and then bat him down the order elsewhere. You pick your best six batsmen, and particularly openers, and then back them to perform under all conditions - if Finch can only succeed (and I use that term fairly loosely, as he hardly dominated in Pakistan) in the best possible scenario, why not reward someone else who is then more likely to succeed in the tougher situations?
    Stoinis is averaging around 50 in his last two Shield games with a couple of good 80's so he was actually in good form. He got a few wickets too. I just don't think Agar's that good. He averages 25 in shield with the bat and almost 40 with the ball.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    I just don't think Agar's that good. He averages 25 in shield with the bat and almost 40 with the ball.
    I don’t disagree, but equally, the stats of the two M’s are also pretty crap. As I said, I wouldn’t play any of them, but I just wonder why someone like Agar is not in the mix.For some reason, in spite of being a Sandgroper Stoinis doesn’t appear to be a favourite of Langer. A shame, as he appears fairly technically sound, and his bowling looks more effective than Mitch Marsh’s.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Time to recall Brad Hodge finally. As a bonus, he can bowl a few offies.

Before you guys continue to throw potential names out there for selection, consider whether they are chummy with Langer or not.

I don’t disagree, but equally, the stats of the two M’s are also pretty crap. As I said, I wouldn’t play any of them, but I just wonder why someone like Agar is not in the mix.For some reason, in spite of being a Sandgroper Stoinis doesn’t appear to be a favourite of Langer. A shame, as he appears fairly technically sound, and his bowling looks more effective than Mitch Marsh’s.
    Maybe one more season for the Gropers and he's good to go lol
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    On one hand you pan Maxwell for going too hard but then pan Cummins for starting with some circumspection? Do you realise how inconsistent your positions are here. I'd query if you've watched the test matches so far, there is this bloke that bats 3 from India, starts kind of slowly... Also I have no idea what the problem is with starting slow or fast, as long as you score runs.

So one is not sure how many runs Maxxy needs to score to impress you, and that is runs in comparison to the other options and whatever your hypothetical pass mark is for him. He has clearly shown for some time, which is why I don't think you've watched any shield, watched him bat in Asia or done even the quickest of analysis of his stats, that he can score runs in redball cricket. He is so clearly in the mix that it is a wonder more people aren't outraged he isn't in the squad.
    You've opened the gate, so I'm going through it.

Maxwell has played 4 innings in two games so far in Shield this year. A two ball duck and a 35 in Qld, and a 58 and a 30odd in a short innings before a declaration in Melbourne. The 58 is surely the only innings that would demand inclusion in the test team. The trouble with that is that Harris, Pucovski, White and Handscomb have all made runs as well, so he hasn't done anything this season to demand a spot. I haven't seen any of those innings, by the way.

It is this season that matters, not the last.

None of this matters. If it were my choice I'd still have him next in line if we are picking a number 6 now that Marsh has failed again, before Stoinis (and before the Lab, too). I think he was hard done by to not get a game against Pakistan, and he should be at his most effective in Australian conditions.

I'm not outraged that Maxy isn't there, but I believe he'll get another chance at some stage. Then we will see if he can take that chance, or not.

You misunderstand my point about Cummins and his slow starts. It is about him being able to bat at 6, not the fact he starts slowly. If he were able to consistently turn his slow starts into quality scores, he could bat higher. In fact, if he could do that, he could pick his own spot in the order. But he often makes his 5 off 59 and then gets out, which is no crime for a tailender, but no good higher up the order.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Onwards to Sydney - we really need to win the toss and bat first otherwise I can see another drubbing coming up. Australia wasn’t in the match at any point in Melbourne, and, in anything, the final score flatters Australia a fair bit. Ponting is saying that Finch will go out and that we will play both Mitchell and Marcus. Personally, I think that would be a mistake, and would prefer to see Finch given one more chance at the top of the order and Marsh jnr be told that he isn’t going to be picked for the next 12 months and that he needs to concentrate on getting his head together.

As I said after Adelaide, I was optimistic for Perth, but very pessimistic about Melbourne and Sydney. I haven’t seen anything, either at Melbourne or from the selectors, to change my mind. India to win 3-1, and very deservedly so.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    Time to recall Brad Hodge finally.
    You wonder what people like Jamie Cox, Stuart Law, Jamie Siddons, Martin Love, Michael Klinger, Dave Hussey, Dene Hills etc must be thinking now. Even Tom Moody with a first class average of over 45. As wisely noted above, timing is everything ...

Senior Member Major Winner

You wonder what people like Jamie Cox, Stuart Law, Jamie Siddons, Martin Love, Michael Klinger, Dave Hussey, Dene Hills etc must be thinking now. Even Tom Moody with a first class average of over 45. As wisely noted above, timing is everything ...
    If not for 1 bloke in the history of mankind MacGill is the best leg spinner the game’s ever seen.

Kumble and his 600+ wickets mightd disagree but Stuart was immensely unlucky. He was a super bowler and we would have killed for a top leggie in era's a long way backward and now forward of Warne. Thank god Mike Hussey eventually found a spot late career and shone so bright.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Problem at the moment is that we don’t seem to have any Mike Hussey type characters waiting in the wings.

I don’t blame T20 in and of itself for our problems, but it is part of it. However, it is not the format itself that is the problem - India has actually improved in Test matches since the IPL started. To me, the timing of the Big Bash is the problem, and that is why the suggestion to re-schedule it entirely to January makes sense. Start the Shield season earlier if need be (week after ARL/ALF grand finals), play a match a week or so and aim to finish it all by December, then play the Big Bash across January each year. There would be some overlap with the final Test or so, but in general it would allow players to gain momentum and find their form in the longer form of the game and would allow selectors to at least have some idea of how everyone is travelling.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Punter said a few nights ago that the top Indian players are only allowed to play in one T20 series, the IPL.

So their only focus can be ODI and Tests.

Talk getting around Finch is out and Handscomb likely replacing Mitch Marsh.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

And Marnus at #3

Seriously? Jebus.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

They certainly like making it hard for anyone to succeed. Finch thrust into the opening role and now Lubs batting at 3 if true. Tough gig against a bowling unit on top of their game.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Surely they won’t do that. I would push Shaun Marsh up to open, leave Ussie and Head where they are, and fit two of Hanscomb/Marcus/Mitch in around that.

I don’t mind the idea of throwing older more experienced players ‘to the wolves’ a bit in order to protect younger guys (e.g. a Rob Quiney type situation) in the longer term. However, I don’t see that happening here - George Bailey may have been worth a go, but since he went with his ridiculous stance I think his chances of a recall have plummeted to zero.

I'm not sure what's more confusing, some of the Test selections or the ODI's. They keep changing direction with both players and policy. Shaun Marsh but be close to the never pick again stamp. The landscape has changed with regards to what score is now good enough and Chris Lynn would have been worth an extended gig imo. Short and Wade have also been sensational lately and i certainly would have had Short in above SOS and probably Kwaka as well. Two allrounders in a 14 man squad. Perhaps this is a Mitch vs Stoinis face off for continued honors.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Peter Siddle is a curious selection when we have a bunch of young guys you would think deserve a shot.

I agree with your comments about Short and Wade.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    You've opened the gate, so I'm going through it.

Maxwell has played 4 innings in two games so far in Shield this year. A two ball duck and a 35 in Qld, and a 58 and a 30odd in a short innings before a declaration in Melbourne. The 58 is surely the only innings that would demand inclusion in the test team. The trouble with that is that Harris, Pucovski, White and Handscomb have all made runs as well, so he hasn't done anything this season to demand a spot. I haven't seen any of those innings, by the way.

It is this season that matters, not the last.

None of this matters. If it were my choice I'd still have him next in line if we are picking a number 6 now that Marsh has failed again, before Stoinis (and before the Lab, too). I think he was hard done by to not get a game against Pakistan, and he should be at his most effective in Australian conditions.

I'm not outraged that Maxy isn't there, but I believe he'll get another chance at some stage. Then we will see if he can take that chance, or not.

You misunderstand my point about Cummins and his slow starts. It is about him being able to bat at 6, not the fact he starts slowly. If he were able to consistently turn his slow starts into quality scores, he could bat higher. In fact, if he could do that, he could pick his own spot in the order. But he often makes his 5 off 59 and then gets out, which is no crime for a tailender, but no good higher up the order.
    Well I left this for a bit as I thought you might like to reconsider some of the silliness you've spouted, but if I've opened the gate then you've blown the roof off the barn.

You say it is this season that matters, not the last. I'm not sure if you are saying that is what you believe or what the selectors select on. I think you mean both. Both are wrong.

Cricket, and batting in particular, is not a game of constant form. People slip in and out, sometimes bad form is just one miscued drive to mid off = 6 month rut, sometimes it is one minced cover drive and suddenly you average 45 for the next 3 months.

That is why career stats matter, obviously current nic also counts for a lot and arguably a bit more when the cupboard is as bare as ours is at the moment.

Harris deserves his spot. If you are meaning Cameron White I can only say lol. Pucovski is miles off, and is also on an indefinite break to deal with mental health issues, but has shown some potential, if his name is in the mix we might as well select only based on centuries scored in last three months. You do need a body of work to demand test selection.

To say it is the selectors view that it is only the current season that matters is clearly incorrect, and the analysis of a simpleton, when people like Marnus and Mitch Marsh are selected. The selectors are operating on a gut feel, instinct, a belief that a guy who bowls & bats a bit is greater than the sum of their parts kind of philosophy. Hohns also has various love children of which Marnus is one, a very revealing interview with Marnus on the radio in which he informed Hohns plucked him from grade to play shield and everyone was like, who.

The current season also doesn't matter as much, and it part of the reason the treatment of Maxxy is outrageous, as Maxxy has shown he can do it at international level, but is then denied the chance to play county or go on the red ball tours and then people are like "his current red ball form doesn't warrant selection". Usman came back and only scored 41 in a shield game, drop him. Head made one decent score of 87 in the shield.

So somehow your logic seems to include some players past performances but not others. Odd.

On Cummins it is hard to know where to start, you've made a sweeping generalisation about a guy that has played a handful of test innings and has mostly come in with a guy that can bat at one end (hence hanging around) and then has to bat with the tail so not sure what you expect him to do. You say he often makes 5 off 59, like where the heck are you pulling these numbers. Do you know what a batting average is or his career strikerate in tests. They are all easy to find.

Again in my opinion he should not really bat anywhere but 8 but man your observations are all kinds of weird. Pujara is often little runs off lots of balls, it is not a bad way to go about batting,. And of course anyone who can turn slow starts into quality scores can bat anywhere, your insight is truly wondrous.

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

I apologise to the Ozgolf readers of the cricket thread for attempting to engage with the resident troll.

Apparently he'll be picking Chris Lynn and Mitch Marsh and Glenn Maxwell in the test team forever because they played a good innings once.

I have learned my lesson. I won't be doing it again, or posting in this thread again. I'm sorry for any inconvenience I have caused.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

What a hypocritical and floggish reply.

I see warner got run out in his 20/20 game , seems he still can’t run singles

Member Club Pro

I haven't been able to watch any of the cricket but I keep reading about Harris getting hit on the helmet and taking his eye off the ball. Seems a concerning technical deficiency. Is it?

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    It's the SCG that should have its test moved, since it keeps raining there during the test match.
    Yep.

Thread Information