Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

We really needed our two experienced batsmen in Shaun Marsh and Ussie to stand up in this series and lead our batting in the absence of Smith in particular. However, Marsh has just 129 runs at 26 (which is admittedly a vast improvement on his last series), while Khawaja has 134 at 27. The next most experienced player, Finch (who Warne wanted as Test captain), is currently averaging under 20 which would seem to be about right for him based off his history.

Harris and Head, the least experienced, are probably marginal passes at this point if I am being fair, with averages in the mid 30s. If they had Smith averaging 60 and Warner averaging 45+, we would probably be talking positively about Harris and Head. But with the rest of the order failing, they all look pretty poor.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    For what my opinion is worth, I don't see much wrong with a pitch that is easy for two days, then starts to wear. I may change my opinion if it starts rolling along the ground tomorrow, though.
    So you're happy for the team that wins the toss, to win the game?
    (Reply made before seeing Stuart's post)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    Maybe you should mow your lawn more often
    The neighbour is away, and his lawn needs mowing. I need to make sure I time it right though.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Yep - well thought out and logical suggestions. Sadly, it looks very unlikely to happen.
    CA are too addicted to the $$ they get from TV rights as more cricket means they can ask for bigger $$.

It would be interesting to see how the revenue is split up amongst the areas of the game they're charged with developing.
    Last edited by pt73; 28th December 2018 at 08:30 PM.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Khawaja still plays the spinners too hard and in front of his pads - a recipe for small scores and short innings. Marshtard the older just isn't very good and got sucked in badly to a modest slower ball.
    He does like to feel the bat on the ball. He went ok over the UAE but has a ways to go against the spinners that's for sure. Crazy that we have no four day cricket going on at a time it would be so beneficial. Burns/Renshaw/Maxwell get tons and they would be a big show. Finch was set up by some decent reverse swing bowling and swallowed it hook, line and sinker.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
    Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
    Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, 54*SS, 58SS/TS*
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Will Matthew Wade get selected for the next test?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Will Matthew Wade get selected for the next test?
    It's not totally outlandish. I mentioned days ago he's been close to the best bat in the 4 day games recently. His Shield average of 39.57 is better than just about any candidate and that's with the burden of the gloves as well. He can bowl a few overs too. On the minus he's another left hander, getting on and whether he would improve on his Test average of just under 30 might be debatable. He would also stretch the line of current the current behavioral values as he is a real big mouth. He is however in top form and if he came off could tour England as the reserve keeper if need be tho Lyon might lose quite a bit of sleep.

They've got three Tests to try and improve things. There really isn't much to choose from. They brought some of this on themselves with the mishandling of both Burns and Renshaw. Both still average comfortably over 30 in Tests (despite a lean trot) and around 40 in fc. Maxwell should have been in before now as well.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Well that's Finch cooked as an opener. Who tries a delicate cut close to the body against a new ball angled in and drifting further in with a field full of slips trying to save a Test. Incredible really.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by TheNuclearOne View Post
    Well that's Finch cooked as an opener. Who tries a delicate cut close to the body against a new ball angled in and drifting further in with a field full of slips trying to save a Test. Incredible really.
    He should take M Marsh with him as he trudges off into the sunset

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarro View Post
    He should take M Marsh with him as he trudges off into the sunset

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk
    He did bowl ok LOL!!! Lots of talk about Finch going down the order and Burns into opener. I wouldn't totally begrudge this (i'd have Maxwell in i think) as the selectors didn't pick him in a role he was best suited to fulfill.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

He did bowl ok LOL!!! Lots of talk about Finch going down the order and Burns into opener. I wouldn't totally begrudge this (i'd have Maxwell in i think) as the selectors didn't pick him in a role he was best suited to fulfill.
    No doubt Maxwell has the talent, but does he have the temperament
    Originally Posted by sms316
    Without rules there is anarchy.

Senior Member Order of Merit winner

Maxwells temperament is a myth Jarro - its a complete non issue. He is a Test class batsmen who has only been given 7 opportunities, 4 in India, 2 in Bangladesh and 1 in UAE - all vicious spinning decks and never had the luxury of a Test at home. He should be straight into the team for Sydney in place of Mitchel Marshtard who can FRO for ever.

The real problem with the team is Justin Langer who only selects his mates. He should be sacked at the end of the series too.

Lots of talk about Finch going down the order and Burns into opener.
    As I’ve said before, this totally baffles me. Why is Finch considered suddenly to be such a vital member of our Test team?

Senior Member Major Winner

If that’s a deciding factor we wouldn’t have had a top 6 for 25 years

As I’ve said before, this totally baffles me. Why is Finch considered suddenly to be such a vital member of our Test team?
    Not enough Victorians if he gets dropped ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Webster View Post
    Maxwells temperament is a myth Jarro - its a complete non issue. He is a Test class batsmen who has only been given 7 opportunities, 4 in India, 2 in Bangladesh and 1 in UAE - all vicious spinning decks and never had the luxury of a Test at home. He should be straight into the team for Sydney in place of Mitchel Marshtard who can FRO for ever.The real problem with the team is Justin Langer who only selects his mates. He should be sacked at the end of the series too.
    So much this

There's talk he has been picked out as a guy who will be a worthwhile addition to the side once he has settled. Obviously he's probably not going to settle at opener hence a potential move down.

The problem is our batting Australia wide is poop and there's really not much competition and with no 4 day cricket going on no-one can really push for a spot anyway which is borderline absurd.

SOS was actually unlucky today, he was looking very good and that was a raw LBW. It looked bad on first inspection and was always a good chance of missing leg. He's unlucky it was umpires call.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I forgot to mention Finch has been playing plenty of County cricket and going well apparently which obviously has/had him earmarked for the Ashes.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I forgot to mention Finch has been playing plenty of County cricket and going well apparently which obviously has/had him earmarked for the Ashes.
    I (sort of) get the selectors’ logic there, but it all falls apart from a consistency perspective when you compare it to how they have treated Renshaw. He also played county cricket last year, scored 3 centuries in 6 games, and yet was seemingly not in the running for the Test team as both Harris and Finch were picked in front of him for some reason. Renshaw (and Burns for that matter) has pedigree at Test level, which Finch does not. I admit that Renshaw wasn’t setting the world of fire in the Shield, but at least he was playing red ball cricket while Finch was in awful form in the ODIs. I can only assume that, in the current leadership vacuum, they are looking to have the ODI captain in the team as well, even if his form and skill level don’t merit it in any objective way.

Sorry - computer crashed half-way through posting, so here is the intended second paragraph ...

One big problem (amongst many admittedly) I have with the selectors using ODI batting form to pick the Test team is that it is inherently biased towards openers. In ODI cricket, they (generally) bat in the best conditions and can take their time to assess the pitch. If Finch takes 50 balls to get to 20, no-one complains normally as he is given the benefit of the doubt in terms of setting up the innings. However, Maxwell never has that chance and is in a no-win situation. He is either coming in and expected to slog from ball 1, or he comes in at 3-20 after the rest have failed in clearly difficult conditions.

The problem is our batting Australia wide is poop and there's really not much competition and with no 4 day cricket going on no-one can really push for a spot anyway which is borderline absurd.
    This, however, is probably our biggest problem.

I (sort of) get the selectors’ logic there, but it all falls apart from a consistency perspective when you compare it to how they have treated Renshaw. He also played county cricket last year, scored 3 centuries in 6 games, and yet was seemingly not in the running for the Test team as both Harris and Finch were picked in front of him for some reason. Renshaw (and Burns for that matter) has pedigree at Test level, which Finch does not. I admit that Renshaw wasn’t setting the world of fire in the Shield, but at least he was playing red ball cricket while Finch was in awful form in the ODIs. I can only assume that, in the current leadership vacuum, they are looking to have the ODI captain in the team as well, even if his form and skill level don’t merit it in any objective way.
    Oh i am hearing you. I would have been tempted to have Burns and Renshaw opening regardless. They've taken a little gamble.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I would have thought at this time of crisis (after losing 3 top-order incumbents in Smith, Warner and Bancroft) that they would have persevered with guys who had some Test experience (and, in fact, a fair few Test centuries between them). They brought them in for the last Test debacle against South Africa, and then summarily dumped them for some reason I just can’t get my head around. Instead, we have a top order than has, by and large, been substantially outperformed by Cummins.

The one thing that is a bit amusing about this series is Shaun Marsh’s performances. Known for so long as either a ‘century or zero’ type player, he has totally turned that around and shown that he can also now consistently make starts and then get out. Average is about the same, but a totally different way of achieving mediocrity. Good to see that players can evolve over time, even if they are in their mid 30s.

I would have thought at this time of crisis (after losing 3 top-order incumbents in Smith, Warner and Bancroft) that they would have persevered with guys who had some Test experience (and, in fact, a fair few Test centuries between them). They brought them in for the last Test debacle against South Africa, and then summarily dumped them for some reason I just can’t get my head around. Instead, we have a top order than has, by and large, been substantially outperformed by Cummins.
    True, true, true.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

The one thing that is a bit amusing about this series is Shaun Marsh’s performances. Known for so long as either a ‘century or zero’ type player, he has totally turned that around and shown that he can also now consistently make starts and then get out. Average is about the same, but a totally different way of achieving mediocrity. Good to see that players can evolve over time, even if they are in their mid 30s.
    It's been strange. He looked good at one stage in the last Test then bam. He looked good today and was unlucky. He will want some runs in the next.
    WITB
    TRS2 9* Velocore Blue 7s
    G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
    Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
    TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

Thread Information