Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Default Camden Lakeside new holes now in play

Just booked in to play in the open comp at Camden Lakeside this Friday and found out that the four new holes to the right of the 5th tee are now in play. Finally...they’ve been finished for 12 months but there was some kerfuffle that kept them from being put in play. I was out there last month and the course was in very tidy nick. I like the changes they’ve made out there, even if a lot of the new greens are proper gnarly.

The routing has obviously been changed as well. Hole 6 is no longer in play, and I think the dude said holes 13, 14, 16 are also out, but I may be wrong on those exact holes. Some tees have been moved slightly too. It’s currently playing as 11 holes out, 7 holes in. Keen to have a look and assses the new holes and new routing. Will post my thoughts here in due course.

yep you should enjoy the new holes , 3 par 4's and par 5, great setup of the holes

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    yep you should enjoy the new holes , 3 par 4's and par 5, great setup of the holes
    Thanks mate. Any inside info you can pass on before my round there this Friday? I’ve peered over to those holes the couple of times I’ve played Lakeside over the last year or so and wondered how they’d play. On the face of it they remind me of Stonecutters - no surprise given the Norman group designed them. That whole paddock looks like the holes play up and back across a right to left slope, if looking across from what was the 5th tee, now the 9th tee I believe.
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ KuroKage TiNi Silver 60
    Titleist 917 F2 15* w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
    TaylorMade TP UDI 20* w/ KuroKage 70 S graphite
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW w/ Project X Rifle 6.0
    SM5 Vokey 50* F Grind & 54* F Grind
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

5th hole
    The fifth hole is a 415-metre long par four – the longest on the course.

Fairway bunkers are positioned on the lefthand side of a wide fairway, while there are two greenside bunkers.

The green is long and has plenty of landing area – 600sqm.

6th hole
    The sixth hole is the par five. It is 501 metres for the men and 431 metres for the women.

Fairway bunkers off the drive and further down the hole at the second shot present the test.

A green that has a bunker on the left hand side catches over hitters and the green is also long and narrow as it curves to a drop off on the right hand side.

7th hole
    The seventh hole is a 368-metre par four for the men, and a 296-metre par four for the women.

Its narrow teeing shot requires accuracy but the landing area opens to a large fairway.

Fairway bunkers are in distance of the longer hitters. A strategic hole for your tee off is required as the approach shot has water on the left and a bunker on the right.

8th hole
    The final new par four hole measures 328 metres for the mena dn 263 metres for the women.

Despite it being a shorter hole, there is a large carry for shorter hitters and an out-of-bounds area on the entire right side.

There are also fairway bunkers around the generous sized green.

Once finally clear from the tee, one must position their approach shot to avoid the tree on the left of the green and the drop off on the right.

The areas around the fairways are native Cumberland plain woodlands consisting mainly of native trees like Eucalyptus crebra, Eucalyptus moluccana, and Eucalyptus tereticornis.

hope that helps, approach shots have to be good on all 4 greens ,all greens are large so depending on flag colour, might be 2 clubs difference

Thanks mate. That’s all real handy. Appreciate it.
    Also came across this this arvo on the Lakeside site:
    https://camdenlakeside.sitesuite.net...or_members.pdf
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

holes will play easier for now with the local rule , but you will see how different it will play once the rough is sorted out, enjoy your day

Quote Originally Posted by crowie View Post
    holes will play easier for now with the local rule , but you will see how different it will play once the rough is sorted out, enjoy your day
    Yeah, I remember thinking it all looked pretty tight out there with the staked garden areas. Wonder how thick those areas of rough will play.What do you make of the new 11th (now 13th)? I think it’s a massive improvement over what it was. Moving the green down there near the water makes it a much funner hole and much more risk/reward. I hit a good drive down the right side of the fairway and then hit 2-iron into the green. I pushed it a little and that downhill slope funneled my ball further down and out to the right and I damn near went in the water hazard down there. You hit a good drive down there and it’s really hard to talk yourself out of going for it in two when you only have around 220 in and it’s all downhill. But there’s trouble lurking down there waiting for you.I also think the new 17th plays pretty well as a short par 5. That second shot isn’t all that long if you get a good drive away, but it’s pretty much a blind shot. And pushing that new green back so it’s right up against the water behind it was a great move. I could see a lot of guys going for it in two and ending up trickling down into the water behind that perched green. Do you reckon that hole will go back to being a par 5? Or will it be a par 3 for good now?
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

I think so to about new 13th great hole , it plays as 5 index so its no easy going , depending on pin placement especially when its blue flag water comes into play big time , eats up newcomers
    they reconfigured a few holes, 17th now temporary 140 m par3 while new tee boxes are made and pushed right back

Righto - I really enjoyed the four new holes at Camden Lakeside today...perhaps because I hit all four greens and made three pars and a birdie. As mentioned above, they definitely have a Stonecutters feel to them...there’s just more general movement in the land in that paddock then there is on the original holes. Just a lot more bumps and ridges and crests throughout the fairways of these new holes. However, the bunker style honours the Peter Thompson pot bunker style that’s on show across the original layout.
    The three new par 4s offer a good amount of variety:
    - the longer 5th plays to a wide fairway with a ridge across the landing area that can work like a speed slot if you put your drive down the left side of the fairway.
    - the mid-length 7th narrows in the landing area from a slightly elevated tee, with the approach to a long narrow green with plenty of bail out room to the right if the water left freaks you out.
    - the short 8th can shit on you if push your drive into the OB, but there’s lots of room to the left, as well as a big tree left to use as an aiming point if you take driver and try to carry the imposing fairway bunkers. If you do carry them, your ball can get a nice kick off a downslope, from there it’s a short pitch to an elevated, precariously perched green.

All in all, these four holes are worthy additions to the new-look Lakeside. And coupled with the other changes they’ve made to the course and all the new green complexes, the course is looking very interesting in my opinion.
    SM6 Vokey 60* S Grind
    Bettinardi Queen B 8

Thread Information