Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default GA Handicap Question - "Played to"

Hi all,
    just looking at my handicap over the last few weeks, and have been paying attention to the numbers I have been hitting as my handicap is now slowly decreasing again...

I have noted 2 weeks ago, I hit 32 points for 2 days back to back, and the "Played to" rating showed 16 and 17, resulting a "sloped played to" of 13.7 and 14.6; my GA was then adjusted from 13.2 to 13.0 to 12.9;
    3 bad games later, and I played a semi decent game yesterday of 35 points with a "Played to" of 16 to a "Sloped plated to" of 13.7; Now GA is 12.7

All daily handicap were at 15

I can understand the played to 16 of yesterday; but how did the game of 32 points came up to 16?

Is this adjusted based on the average of the field on the day?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I'm not sure,but I know that mine are usually saying that I played to between 14 and 18 normally,yet I have a GA of 10.3.Buffered if I know let alone understand.I do know that the GA will only drift by .1 each time,but have 1 good round and it instantly comes back in.I haven't shot a sub 80 round at my home course either

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    Hi all,
    just looking at my handicap over the last few weeks, and have been paying attention to the numbers I have been hitting as my handicap is now slowly decreasing again...

I have noted 2 weeks ago, I hit 32 points for 2 days back to back, and the "Played to" rating showed 16 and 17, resulting a "sloped played to" of 13.7 and 14.6; my GA was then adjusted from 13.2 to 13.0 to 12.9;
    3 bad games later, and I played a semi decent game yesterday of 35 points with a "Played to" of 16 to a "Sloped plated to" of 13.7; Now GA is 12.7

All daily handicap were at 15

I can understand the played to 16 of yesterday; but how did the game of 32 points came up to 16?

Is this adjusted based on the average of the field on the day?
    Played to factors in the DSR difference to par as well.

Daily of 15, and played to 16 with 32pts, I'd imagine DSR was 3 higher than par.

Daily of 15, and played to 17 with 32pts, I'd imagine DSR was 2 higher than par.

Daily of 15, and played to 16 with 35pts, I'd imagine DSR was same as par.

The DSR adjustment is not based on field average, but a complex mathematical / statistical formula of how the field "should have played" (basically). It can also be affected by the difficulty of your course and what the SCR rating is as well.

ok... just had a look on the DSR explaination

GOLF Link determines the DSR (Daily Scratch Rating) for the group of players you played amongst by comparing the ACTUAL average Stableford score for your group with the average Stableford score the group was EXPECTED to have. Other important points:The lower the average handicap for a group of players, the better its average score is expected to be.
    GA’s statisticians have determined what the expected average Stableford score should be for each mix of players by analysing millions of prior rounds in the GOLF Link database.
    In calculating the average Stableford score on the day, the scores from players with lower handicaps receive a higher weighting than the scores returned by players with higher handicaps.
    You are not handicapped on your Stroke score for a Stroke round, you are handicapped on your Stableford score for that round. The DSR for Stroke rounds is also based on the average Stableford score for all players in the group.
    Expected average Stableford scores for each handicap level can be viewed by clicking here.
    Your club has the option of having separate DSRs for the morning and afternoon.
    For very small fields, the Actual Average Stableford Score needs to vary from the Expected Average Stableford Score by a notable amount in order for the DSR to shift away from the Scratch Rating.
    The ‘expectations’ vary slightly between genders – this takes account of their different score distribution patterns.
    So I guess it does depend on the performance of the field for the day...
    Last edited by okitoki; 1st October 2018 at 01:07 PM.

if DSR is not based on the daily field, how does it change from day to day then on the same field?
    It is based on the fields score , but the mathematics is complicated and isn’t an average of the whole field eg if 36 pts wins the comp dsr will be higher maybe 74 if 44 pts wins and there are lots of scores in the 40’s the dsr will be low say 66 . This is then further complicated by the fact a club can fix the dsr eg ours only ever ranges from 72 to 69 with a par of 71

ok... just had a look on the DSR explaination

So I guess it does depend on the performance of the field for the day...
    It’s not that simple. See Benno’s post

Victorious Confederate Captain Order of Merit winner

Dont question it, just accept it. Its a variable that nobody can control

Chopperlink

WITB
    Cobra Speedzone::Cobra Speedzone Tour 3 wood, Cobra F6 5 wood: Mizuno H4's, :Mizuno 50, Mizuno MP 56 and 60*:TM Works #7
    AndyC will always be my AndyB(unny)

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

On this point can I ask how they calculated the slope rating if the courses?

Port Kembla’s slope off the white tees is 137, making it supposedly harder than most other courses in NSW. I just do t know how they came up with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    On this point can I ask how they calculated the slope rating if the courses?

Port Kembla’s slope off the white tees is 137, making it supposedly harder than most other courses in NSW. I just do t know how they came up with this.
    Slope rating is a rating for a "bogey golfer" - aka 18 capper. Doesn't mean its particularly harder for a scratch golfer, just has a lot of features that are tougher to negotiate for a chopper.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

The club can't "fix" the DSR. It can only go one lower than the scratch rating at a minimum on a day even if everyone shoots the lights out, and if the scores are poor, it will come in higher than the scratch rating, which I also understand has a limit, although I'm not 100% sure how many higher that can be.

I know my course has a scratch rating of 73 (par 72), and I have seen the DSR as high as 77.

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Well just played a country track and with a GA of 8.7. Played off 7 and got 34 stableford points which was slope rated to played to 14.4. WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    Well just played a country track and with a GA of 8.7. Played off 7 and got 34 stableford points which was slope rated to played to 14.4. WTF
    Slope must have been low under 100

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

So I needed to shoot one under the stick, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrins View Post
    So I needed to shoot one under the stick, fair enough.
    Exactly - just play better, flusher.

And the dsr must have been equivalent to about 40 pts , definitely an easy country track

Crazy system , we played stroke today I had 80 nett 72 par 71 , 36 pts , had a triple on a no shot par 4 , gross was adjusted to 79 played to adjusted to 9.4 , dsr 69 , so round flagged and I lost .1 , down to a GA of 7.0 which drops me me from a daily cap of 8 to 7 now

Thread Information