Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Default How to make birdies

I have a GA of 10.3,and yet I average 1 birdie every 3 rounds. I want to start making birdies.I probably have 1 or 2 legit chances during a round but tend to stuff it up.Bloody game is so frustrating

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Play better...

Senior Member Major Winner
    Blog Entries

Hit the fairway, hit the green, sink the putt.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Short game practice is the best thing you can do.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Buy more stuff!!

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Short game practice is the best thing you can do.
    +1, Also Stop worrying about getting them , just believe they will come . Plus 12 pars 6 bogies will give you a handicap lowering score

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    +1, Also Stop worrying about getting them , just believe they will come . Plus 12 pars 6 bogies will give you a handicap lowering score
    I wish they would come.Played this morning at Berwick Montuna and it was a conversation that me and a mate were having. He is off 23 and gets 1 or 2 a round,he can't understand why I don't.I did mention that is is rare for me to have a triple bogey,he has 3 or 4 a round

Quote Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
    I wish they would come.Played this morning at Berwick Montuna and it was a conversation that me and a mate were having. He is off 23 and gets 1 or 2 a round,he can't understand why I don't.I did mention that is is rare for me to have a triple bogey,he has 3 or 4 a round
    Is why he is off 23 , maybe it’s distance control with your short irons maybe it’s your putting . I only get one or two birdies a round if going well .Here is something for you to look at . To break 80 around beacy you have to have less than 30 shots from outside 100 meters and less than 50 shots from inside 100 mts including putts .

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy8 View Post
    Is why he is off 23 , maybe it’s distance control with your short irons maybe it’s your putting . I only get one or two birdies a round if going well .Here is something for you to look at . To break 80 around beacy you have to have less than 30 shots from outside 100 meters and less than 50 shots from inside 100 mts including putts .
    Certainly been working on distance control within 100m,putting is an issue when outside 20 feet(becomes 3 putt territory),but mainly just trying to get legit chances at birdie.

Certainly been working on distance control within 100m,putting is an issue when outside 20 feet(becomes 3 putt territory),but mainly just trying to get legit chances at birdie.
    Wouldn’t most of you birdie putts be from 20+, three putting them kills your score but in terms of birdies maybe you should putt firmer with less break get them all going 3 or 4 feet thru don’t worry about 3 putting for a whileb

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Attack the par 5's if you can get on or near them in 2.
    Or the short par 4's where a short iron or wedge is your 2nd shot.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

When you have a 20' or longer putt what are you thinking? Do you try and hole it?

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

In my case, it would generally require chipping in..........

.............................two shots earlier.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyD View Post
    When you have a 20' or longer putt what are you thinking? Do you try and hole it?
    From 20 feet or more I am just happy not to 3 putt,that isn't a joke either.Missed greens and poor chipping leads to a bogey,but those times I have a chance I don't seem to Take them.My putting on the weekend inside 5 feet was good
    Playing Came Shank this weekend so will be playing with a very aggressive mindset

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Putt to make it. Get Dr Bob's putting book and have a read.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Hit greens. It sounds simple, but you won't make many unless you get it on the short stuff. Sometimes that means not going at the pin.

You also need to know which clubs you can be aggressive with and go at the target, and those that you need to be more conservative with.

Member Club Pro

Go play a par 3 course.

Seriously, the best way to make birdies is to get your approaches closer. The make percentage, even for bad putters, improves astronomically the closer you get to the hole. Playing a par 3 course will help you tune your iron play as well as being a fun change.
    Everyone always says focus on birdeing the par 5's but I don't think that's realistic for amateurs because it often involves 3 good shots in a row (happens rarely for me). You will still probably birdie the par 5's much more often then hard 3 or 4's but improving iron play will give you many more realistic chances.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by hippo10 View Post
    Go play a par 3 course.

Seriously, the best way to make birdies is to get your approaches closer. The make percentage, even for bad putters, improves astronomically the closer you get to the hole. Playing a par 3 course will help you tune your iron play as well as being a fun change.
    Everyone always says focus on birdeing the par 5's but I don't think that's realistic for amateurs because it often involves 3 good shots in a row (happens rarely for me). You will still probably birdie the par 5's much more often then hard 3 or 4's but improving iron play will give you many more realistic chances.
    Even the PGA tour stats show that they average 50% from ~15ft. It’s about giving yourself chances.

Par 5’s are where I get most of mine, I’ve had 10-11 and an eagle in the last week. Most of them on short par 4’s and par 5’s. I made a couple outside 20ft but predominantly they’re inside 10-12 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Even the PGA tour stats show that they average 50% from ~15ft. It’s about giving yourself chances.

Par 5’s are where I get most of mine, I’ve had 10-11 and an eagle in the last week. Most of them on short par 4’s and par 5’s. I made a couple outside 20ft but predominantly they’re inside 10-12 feet.
    Par 5's are 3 shots in for me,unless it is a stupid short par5.I can get them with a good approach,usually I like to be sensible then take my chance on the green.Short par 4's is where I mostly need to improve.

Keep the ball on the ground

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

Agree with Andy P, you've just gotta be able to hit greens and give yourself a chance. The more looks you get, the more they'll start dropping for you. Pick holes you think you can go at and play them aggressively. Par 5's are good for me because length isn't really an issue, so I just try bomb away with driver and then if i miss i can still punch out or pitch up short of the green and hope for an up and down. Also, don't feel like you have to make them, because you'll find that you tighten up over the putts and leave yourself dangerous 3-5 footers for par. Try take the thinking out of it, maybe don't have a practice putt, just see the line and hit the putt.
    WITB:
    Taylormade M3 9.5 Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood Aldila Rogue X Stiff 70g
    Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-6 with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Mizuno MP20 Blade 7-P with DG X100 shafts hard stepped.
    Vokey SM7 50/08, 54/10, 60/08. 50deg in DG X100, 54deg & 60deg in S300.
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist ProV1

probably not to stress too much about getting the birdy? so many times I have seen people getting into a pressure shot and miss the birdies... even from less than 3 feet away....
    or turning a birdie to a bogey (me guilty of it) or a 5 handicapper who got pissed off with missing his Eagle to get a Par :P

Blog Entries

... Short par 4's is where I mostly need to improve.
    Handicap and birdie frequency sounds familiar. For the same distance approaches, how does your GIR stats compare for par 3s, 4s and 5s?

For me, par 3s are just paint-by-number holes. But stick the same club in my hand to approach a par 4 and it's another story. (Come to think of it, short par 4s have tighter approaches, only rewarding the perfect strikes and I tend to have a low ball flight.)

Problem easily solved. I can tee it up on the fairways, when my partners aren't looking.
    You don't get me. I'm part of the Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotty View Post
    Handicap and birdie frequency sounds familiar. For the same distance approaches, how does your GIR stats compare for par 3s, 4s and 5s?

For me, par 3s are just paint-by-number holes. But stick the same club in my hand to approach a par 4 and it's another story. (Come to think of it, short par 4s have tighter approaches, only rewarding the perfect strikes and I tend to have a low ball flight.)

Problem easily solved. I can tee it up on the fairways, when my partners aren't looking.
    Our course is built around the top of a hill,follows some gullies and climbs and falls on every hole.Not easy to say what iron I hit to a 190m par 3 down hill would be the same to 190m uphill.We have a par 5 of about 450m on the lakes 9.Some would say that is reasonably short and reachable in 2,but because the fairway goes up hill,with a good drive I can get to about the 200m marker,but from their it is still 50 metres to crest the hill.Or the 3rd on the hills course that I should reach,but it is so down hill on the second shot that if you land the green or try to roll on,good by ball.Green slopes front to back and behind is a drop off and the trees and shrubs.
    Our par 3's are long.19th hole is 196m down hill,21st is 172m slightly up hill,2nd is about 200m very down hill but the 6th is only 129m,uphill.

And very rarely will you be standing on a fairway with the ball at the same level as your feet.Even if only an inch or 2,just about every fairway has slope on it

Some of the problems for joe and I for that matter are that almost all the short par 4’s have a trick to them eg water in front or beside , a sloping fairway and stance or a trick in the green , eg hills 9 ( joe’s 18 th) plays about 320 mts slight uphill , trees both sides , if pin is centre and you land left centre ball spins off the green , too far right of centre on drive branches block you from playing left of pin. Plus the greens are small by today’s standards so a decent shot 25’ left or right of the pin will miss some greens with some pin positions. The two short par 5’s have hills to contend with ( excluding toxic ) potentially uphill stances and blind second shots . Hills 3 is an easy birdie chance if your second shot is good I have birdied 3 consecutive games and 4 out of 5 in one little stretch , but in summer that green can be very quick and hard to stick .
    So all I do as others have said is try and relax and let the birdies come . If I shoot 11 pars and 7 bogies that’s a 78 ots and that will do me

Thread Information