Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ryder Cup 2018

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    I'd love to have a game there. I'd have 100's but who cares!!!
    I'd play it for sure too. And probably have 100 as well. Doesn't make it great on the arkitecture front though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I'd play it for sure too. And probably have 100 as well. Doesn't make it great on the arkitecture front though.
    What makes it bad?

What makes it bad?
    In my eyes:
    Lack of options
    Penal design
    Over reliance on heroic shots with some of the green designs.

Like i said before, might make it a good tourney course, but that doesn't make it arkitecturally sound.

Banned

In my eyes:
    Lack of options
    Penal design
    Over reliance on heroic shots with some of the green designs.

Like i said before, might make it a good tourney course, but that doesn't make it arkitecturally sound.
    But like you said, in your eyes. I don't see that golf course like that at all. It's not about golf course architecture to me. It's just personal opinion.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Too short and narrow was the general complaint (from the media mostly).

Yet, every year they show up at harbour town, jizzing themselves. Ranting and raving about how great it is that they have to plot their way around a short tight course.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BayBum View Post
    Too short and narrow was the general complaint (from the media mostly).

Yet, every year they show up at harbour town, jizzing themselves. Ranting and raving about how great it is that they have to plot their way around a short tight course.
    And not many of the bombers play there either, unless they are lower ranked and needing points.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

One of the Sky commentators said the home team always sets up the course to favour their team so away wins are very rare.

Read an article that only 6 of 12 USA team had played the course before this week, Justin Thomas was the only one who played in the 2018 French Open at the course.

Doesn’t sound like good planning to me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_of_oz View Post
    Holy shit, that's awful.

But like you said, in your eyes. I don't see that golf course like that at all. It's not about golf course architecture to me. It's just personal opinion.
    Of course, and that's the sort of thing people who get in to architecture (like fried eggs) don't rate it for. I can think of a tonne of courses that fall in this category, but I'd still play them (Hamilton Island, Bonville, The Australian - to name a few).

Member Club Pro

It's a course that's worth playing once and once only. No strategic interest and too penal to get repeat play. Immaculate condition though which is all that seems to matter to 50% of Oz golfers.

Member Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by hippo10 View Post
    No strategic interest
    I couldn't disagree with that comment more. Seemed to me thought had to go into every single hole.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Muscles View Post
    I couldn't disagree with that comment more. Seemed to me thought had to go into every single hole.
    I’m with Muscles. Plenty of decisions to be made off the tee.

As for it being too penal; only if the pin is tucked and if you decide to chase it.

Looked like a brilliant course to me that could be played in a variety of ways. I don’t think it would get boring and repetitive at all.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post

As for it being too penal; only if the pin is tucked and if you decide to chase it.

Looked like a brilliant course to me that could be played in a variety of ways. I don’t think it would get boring and repetitive at all.
    This^^^^^^!
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    This^^^^^^!
    This, even thought I could lose more than a dozen balls a round
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Quote Originally Posted by hippo10 View Post
    It's a course that's worth playing once and once only. No strategic interest and too penal to get repeat play. Immaculate condition though which is all that seems to matter to 50% of Oz golfers.
    What do you mean by strategic interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    From the limited coverage I saw, it seemed most holes were played the same way each day. Didn't appear to offer a lot of options for the pros. I also think it was also setup very penal - you hit it out of place you lose the hole (which makes for great see-sawing match play).

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Would have been good to see the dust up between DJ and BK! 💪

From the limited coverage I saw, it seemed most holes were played the same way each day. Didn't appear to offer a lot of options for the pros. I also think it was also setup very penal - you hit it out of place you lose the hole (which makes for great see-sawing match play).
    By options do you mean hit and spray driver then hit GIR from where ever it lands?

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    By options do you mean hit and spray driver then hit GIR from where ever it lands?
    No, I mean serious choice of different club from the tee to take on a hazard of some variety that will leave a more difficult shot to the green for taking the safer option off the tee. If everyone is picking the same shot, then the option is: a. not present, or b: not worth it. And if either is the case, the course lacks strategic interest.

No, I mean serious choice of different club from the tee to take on a hazard of some variety that will leave a more difficult shot to the green for taking the safer option off the tee. If everyone is picking the same shot, then the option is: a. not present, or b: not worth it. And if either is the case, the course lacks strategic interest.
    Bunting driver to 180m gives you heaps of options and most likely you would be laying up again around that place again and again. The only issue with that track was that the Tiger line was not as rewarding on that course due to the rough being so penal and that is more due to set up than design. Take the rough out and us choppers are going if I bomb Drive it’s 7 iron if I play safe it’s 4 iron over water or lay up to wedge range and can a putt. Lots of choices mate
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

One of the best things about USA losing Ryder Cups is watching the team implode afterwards, with players trying to dodge responsibility, and supporters looking for people to blame.

It happened in 14, and its happening again this time.

Patrick is whingeing that he wasn't paired with Jordan. The flaw in that argument is that the pairing with Justin Thomas was successful. But it is all about Patrick in his eyes, and those of his wife.

Everyone is whingeing about Phil, and Bryson, and Bubba, and Jim Furyk, and the lack of a team atmosphere.

For me, they are all overthinking it in the post mortem. The simple explanation is that too many US players didn't play well. Their driving wasn't accurate, but they were also missing fairways with irons and 3 woods. It also hurt that Furyk's hunches didn't pay off, while Bjorn's did pay off.

I'm now wondering, in the fallout from this, whether some of the so-called non team players like Patrick and Bubba might have their cards marked for the future.
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasto23 View Post
    Bunting driver to 180m gives you heaps of options and most likely you would be laying up again around that place again and again. The only issue with that track was that the Tiger line was not as rewarding on that course due to the rough being so penal and that is more due to set up than design. Take the rough out and us choppers are going if I bomb Drive it’s 7 iron if I play safe it’s 4 iron over water or lay up to wedge range and can a putt. Lots of choices mate
    I was talking mainly for the pros in regards to options of the tee, and yes, like any course where you grow stupid crazy rough, most risk/reward lines get ignored.

In regards to myself I would just hit driver off every tee (but that's not a fault of the course). But most of the par 4s with no bail out water carries (1/15/18 ), I am forced to layup my second shot - no great choices there.

And again preface this by saying I didn't watch it as much as most people, but with the rough back to sensible levels - are there many holes that force you to make an actual choice off the tee? Were there any holes you had to take on a bunker, or chew off some water off the tee that brought serious strategic merit into play? I dont recall any.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it would be an enjoyable, but strategic? I don't see it.
    Last edited by benno_r; 3rd October 2018 at 10:34 AM.

Banned

I was talking mainly for the pros in regards to options of the tee, and yes, like any course where you grow stupid crazy rough, most risk/reward lines get ignored.

In regards to myself I would just hit driver off every tee (but that's not a fault of the course). But most of the par 4s with no bail out water carries (1/15/18 ), I am forced to layup my second shot - no great choices there.

And again preface this by saying I didn't watch it as much as most people, but with the rough back to sensible levels - are there many holes that force you to make an actual choice off the tee? Were there any holes you had to take on a bunker, or chew off some water off the tee that brought serious strategic merit into play? I dont recall any.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it would be an enjoyable, but strategic? I don't see it.
    Again I think it depends on ur definition of strategic and that's why the discussion always goes round in circles.

I don't think you'd be laying up on 1 or 15 for ur second shot mate. They are both relatively short and the 18th plays as a par 5 for non tournament play for memory so a second shot lay up or going for it would be ur risk reward.

I saw lots of different approaches to the various tee shots/holes. It seemed to change from 4ball to foursomes and player to player.

On a separate note, did everyone see the video of Justin Rose drinking out if the Ryder Cup while being propped up by others!!! It's hilarious!!!

Again I think it depends on ur definition of strategic and that's why the discussion always goes round in circles.

I don't think you'd be laying up on 1 or 15 for ur second shot mate. They are both relatively short and the 18th plays as a par 5 for non tournament play for memory so a second shot lay up or going for it would be ur risk reward.

I saw lots of different approaches to the various tee shots/holes. It seemed to change from 4ball to foursomes and player to player.

On a separate note, did everyone see the video of Justin Rose drinking out if the Ryder Cup while being propped up by others!!! It's hilarious!!!
    If you see how far I drive it, and how bad my iron play is, you'd understand I'd be laying up on 1 and 15.

Thread Information