Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Green reading routine

After having another decent ball striking round and a shocking putting round, I’ve decided to take a more disciplined approach to my putting routine. IMO pre-shot information gathering is the most important on or around the green. Distance, slope, speed of the green etc... ie. reading the green. I don’t have a set routine and I’m rarely confident about the line I have chosen when I stand over the putt.

Do any of you have a routine when reading the putt? Do you pace your putts out? Stand on the low side for a better view? Try to figure out the “fall line”? Use AimPoint?

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Im interested as well as my line reading has been pretty basic.

Just behind for line and the side for up or down hill.

I find that in my level the biggest hurtle is to get my distance feel correct as I'm good if I can get within the 3 feet circle

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I always try to walk the hole to the ball, ideally as you walk on the green. The putt will often look bit different from the other side, and as you are walking along the line to your ball you might also notice some subtleties to the putt. if you are still unsure, break the putt up into sections by walking along the line and visualising how it will roll, and how you would putt from each point. From there it is all about sticking to a putting routine and trusting the putt. I also think it is essential to walk in from behind the putt so that you get your lines correct. I see too many poor setups that cruel a putt before it is even rolled.

Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Read Dr Bob's putting book.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

You guys actually read greens?

I prefer to wash the hole before I reach the green. My putting stats are amazing.

I watch what every ball does , other players chips and putts ,especially in the last metre ,

Member Touring Pro (Von Nida Tour)

I can't read greens for shite. I reckon its my new glasses. I just can't pick the breaks anymore. Been meaning to play a round with my old ones and see how it goes.

Normally as I walk to the green I try to get a look at it. Then I get behind it, change my mind. I walk to the back, change my mind. Then I walk "beneath" it, and confuse myself.

Then I aim at the middle, hit it and get surprised when it moves.

Its taken a while to feel comfortable with that routine but I think I am there

Seriously, I read chips way better than putts, and still get them wrong more than 50% of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    After having another decent ball striking round and a shocking putting round, I’ve decided to take a more disciplined approach to my putting routine. IMO pre-shot information gathering is the most important on or around the green. Distance, slope, speed of the green etc... ie. reading the green. I don’t have a set routine and I’m rarely confident about the line I have chosen when I stand over the putt.

Do any of you have a routine when reading the putt? Do you pace your putts out? Stand on the low side for a better view? Try to figure out the “fall line”? Use AimPoint?
    I use a bastardised Aimpoint express but I also putt ALOT by feel on long putts. Remember aimpoint is only good inside 20ft.
    I generally walk from the opposite side of the hole to the ball, and step the distance off for my stats (each step is roughly 2ft). I’ll measure with my feet at half way and get a line. Important part is practicing the slope which you’ll need some form of level. I use an app and it’s pretty simple. I also putt with a line in the ball not just for alignment but it also teaches you about how you are striking it. A bit of wibble wobble and you know your stroke wasn’t pure.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/clin...286215117?mt=8

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

I use a method of hope and pray.I pick something close to what I think it will be the line,hit and hope.When it doesn't fall,I cry out to JC

Quote Originally Posted by Slothman View Post
    I can't read greens for shite. I reckon its my new glasses. I just can't pick the breaks anymore. Been meaning to play a round with my old ones and see how it goes. Normally as I walk to the green I try to get a look at it. Then I get behind it, change my mind. I walk to the back, change my mind. Then I walk "beneath" it, and confuse myself.Then I aim at the middle, hit it and get surprised when it moves.Its taken a while to feel comfortable with that routine but I think I am there Seriously, I read chips way better than putts, and still get them wrong more than 50% of the time
    Ha ha. I’m glad I’m not alone. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    I use a bastardised Aimpoint express but I also putt ALOT by feel on long putts. Remember aimpoint is only good inside 20ft. I generally walk from the opposite side of the hole to the ball, and step the distance off for my stats (each step is roughly 2ft). I’ll measure with my feet at half way and get a line. Important part is practicing the slope which you’ll need some form of level. I use an app and it’s pretty simple. I also putt with a line in the ball not just for alignment but it also teaches you about how you are striking it. A bit of wibble wobble and you know your stroke wasn’t pure. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/clin...286215117?mt=8
    Thanks mate. Is the app accurate?

Putt for pace/distance...

Once you get pace confident seeing the line becomes far easier as you focus better..

Water run off points..
    Shoulders of pots..
    Tiers..

Its never the same but when i putt well my pace/distance is good

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
    Putt for pace/distance...

Its never the same but when i putt well my pace/distance is good
    Good point... recently my pro has given me some putting drills to work on my pace, and I would say this has improved my confidence and the actual putting strokes close to the hole

Thanks mate. Is the app accurate?
    Yeah, maybe not as accurate as a digital level but it works fine for me.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

When I was playing lot and putting good, I would look at the overall slope of the green as I walked in from my approach.

Then I would initially look at the slope from behind the hole, then from behind the ball. I find in this order my brain played less tricks on me in creating imaginaybreaks.

Then I visualise a line tracking to the hole, based on the above..... and line my ball alignment marker up to the break point, then have a couple of practice strokes looking at the hole the gauge weight.

Seemed to work reasonably well when I was playing frequently.....when I only play casually I forget, or can’t be bothered so now I putt like shit.
    In the bag

Taylormade Stealth 2 9.0 - AD DI 7X, Taylormade Sim 5 wood - AD DI 8X, P790 2/5-GW S300 AMT, Taylormade Hi Toe 53/14, 57/14, 60/10, Taylormade Spider, Taylormade 2018 staff bag

Banned

Just walk up behind it, look at it for a couple of seconds, pick a line and hit it. If it goes in, great, if not, make the next one. I do agree from the above that speed is much more important than the line. Obviously you can't ignore the line altogether but if you get the speed right, you'll be there or there abouts most of the time. Don't over complicate it.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

All i do is walk up to it look at the hole a few times then hit it, but I am a fairly shit putter, would still miss them if i farted around looking at it for ages, so might as well get it done with.

Quote Originally Posted by davidw88 View Post
    All i do is walk up to it look at the hole a few times then hit it, but I am a fairly shit putter, would still miss them if i farted around looking at it for ages, so might as well get it done with.
    Once I have a "system" for reading greens, I think I will be quicker.

Yeah, maybe not as accurate as a digital level but it works fine for me.
    Right, got the app and booked a lesson to learn Aimpoint on Thursday. Let’s hope this can help me to minimise the 3 putts!

Had the Aimpoint lesson with Denise Hutton at Bonnie Doon yesterday. Need to practice it more but it's good to have a system that is quick and reliable.

Had the Aimpoint lesson with Denise Hutton at Bonnie Doon yesterday. Need to practice it more but it's good to have a system that is quick and reliable.
    How long was the lesson?

Victorious Captain Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Lol, that was you!
    I saw you practicing left handed on the practice green, didn’t think it was you.
    I was on the range then you drove past in the buggy with her!
    Lol....

How long was the lesson?
    1 hour but ended up going 15 min over.I had viewed the Aimpoint DVD before the lesson so that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nemo View Post
    Lol, that was you!I saw you practicing left handed on the practice green, didn’t think it was you.I was on the range then you drove past in the buggy with her!Lol....
    Ha ha. Yep that was me. I’m so desperate with my putting I tried left handed putting as well as split hand and reverse grip. LOL! 😂Btw, awesome facilities at Bonnie Doon. 👍

Thread Information