Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Default Kids and comp rounds?

So Kyan has said he'd like to play golf again. But rather than doing the junior clinic like he did last time, he just wants to play golf with me. So we're gonna hit the range regularly, and start playing the odd round, probably more often during school holidays. But what I'm wondering is, at what sort of age or ability would you start including your kid in comp rounds at your club?

I think hc's go down to 36 for men now don't they? So would that more so be a factor over age? Say he's 16 and able to play to 36 or lower, would that be ok? Or should I be waiting till he's a bit older? I think I was going out with my dad around 17, maybe 18. I haven't asked the club yet, but he's only just 13 now, and certainly not within cooee of being ready to out during comp days.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    TM V-Steel 16.5* w Speeder 57s at 3 wood length
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Tour 54* and 60* (ground) CS Lite S
    SC Pro Platinum Mid Sur Counterbalanced
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    NB 574 Greens (yes, no more Crocs)
    Golflucky

Banned

I don't think age means anything goughy. I think if he can keep up and knows the correct etiquette, he'll be fine, regardless of handicap. The club shouldn't have an issue with it either. Juniors should be encouraged and if they don't allow it, I'd maybe look for another club even.

He's tried juniors before, bit didn't like it. I think he actually didn't really like the kids? We're done smart arses, and the junior comp he played in once, well, kids had no idea how to score and their parents with them didn't seem to either, whereas I had Kyan counting every air swing!

I think he just wants to much about with me, which suits me fine! Even better if he keeps it up for a few years and then joins to play comps, as it means I'll be back playing again.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by goughy View Post
    He's tried juniors before, bit didn't like it. I think he actually didn't really like the kids? We're done smart arses, and the junior comp he played in once, well, kids had no idea how to score and their parents with them didn't seem to either, whereas I had Kyan counting every air swing!

I think he just wants to much about with me, which suits me fine! Even better if he keeps it up for a few years and then joins to play comps, as it means I'll be back playing again.
    Yeah fair enough. I just meant that if he can keep up and knows the proper etiquette, he should be allowed to play with you in the comp without issue.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

I know of 8 yr olds playing in comps , both play off 20’s caps . One plays with his dad a 5 cap , the other his dad caddies for him . Personally I think 12 yr olds who can play to 27 ish cap should be welcomed into comps , younger than that needs to be supervised by family but still welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz18 View Post
    Yeah fair enough. I just meant that if he can keep up and knows the proper etiquette, he should be allowed to play with you in the comp without issue.
    Sorry Jazz, I want specificity commenting on your reply, just making a general comment, kinda about what put him of in the past.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Goughy I recon once they can keep up they can play a Stableford round, plenty of choppers out most saturdays and hopefully he can go out on some chook run events to get a feel for comp golf
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Banned

Sorry Jazz, I want specificity commenting on your reply, just making a general comment, kinda about what put him of in the past.
    No worries at all. Hope it works out for you guys. Afterall, it's probably great knowing your 13 year old wants to play with his old man when at that age, aren't they normally trying to avoid their parents!

Moderator Touring Pro (European Tour)

If you are good enough, and mature enough, you belong in comp golf.

If a kid can be a better golfer than at least one player in the field, and show respect to the other players in the field, then most golfers will give them a warm welcome. That warm welcome will only apply while they are playing to their handicap. When they start rapidly improving and shoot regular 45 point rounds, they may no longer be so popular.

The parents of the kids, on the other hand....
    "There are 50 things to remember in the golf swing. Trouble is that I can only remember 49 of them" - Bob Hope.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

What's wrong with him? Why would he want to spend time playing an old man's game instead of quality time on Fortnite?

Member Trainee Pro

Quote Originally Posted by jimandr View Post
    If you are good enough, and mature enough, you belong in comp golf.

If a kid can be a better golfer than at least one player in the field, and show respect to the other players in the field, then most golfers will give them a warm welcome. That warm welcome will only apply while they are playing to their handicap. When they start rapidly improving and shoot regular 45 point rounds, they may no longer be so popular.

The parents of the kids, on the other hand....
    I think that applies to all when someone rapidly starts improving not to just juniors

In my opinion I think we should be encouraging young ones to rapidly improve and grow with the etiquette of the game. young juniors in many clubs are hard to keep as there is other sports there mates are playing and we can easily lose juniors to these other popular sports.. i know with the juniors at our club want to play golf but they enjoy playing with there mates and they will follow there mates to play sport with them.... one young member of our club said i have to give up a bit of golf becuase my golfing mates are playing footy so i dont want to play with grand dad everyweek.

Goughy 16 mate get him into comp mate encourage him to do well and get him 1 on 1 coaching and if he can get his handicap well down he will be good enough to start playing colts and then playing Pennant if he really starts to enjoy the game.

dont let the age barrier put him off, i personelly think adults and seniors have to overcome the the age barrier senario

kids are the future of your club

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    What's wrong with him? Why would he want to spend time playing an old man's game instead of quality time on Fortnite?
    Don't even talk to me about that bloody game!!!!!!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    LOL

Blog Entries

So Kyan has said he'd like to play golf again. But rather than doing the junior clinic like he did last time, he just wants to play golf with me. So we're gonna hit the range regularly, and start playing the odd round, probably more often during school holidays. But what I'm wondering is, at what sort of age or ability would you start including your kid in comp rounds at your club?

I think hc's go down to 36 for men now don't they? So would that more so be a factor over age? Say he's 16 and able to play to 36 or lower, would that be ok? Or should I be waiting till he's a bit older? I think I was going out with my dad around 17, maybe 18. I haven't asked the club yet, but he's only just 13 now, and certainly not within cooee of being ready to out during comp days.
    Goughy as others have said if he can pick up the etiquette and keep up with the group no matter how many shots he has, he can play comp regardless of his age.
    I have been beaten in Div 1 Pennant by a 13yo playing off +2, so the sooner you get him in, the better.
    Golflink

WITB
    Ping G400 SFT 12* Accra ST55 Tour Z M5
    Srixon Z355 17* FW Miyazaki Jinsoku S
    RBZ Black 3 HY 19* Rocketfuel 65S
    Srixon Zu65 3 20* Nippon NS Pro 980GH
    Srixon Z765 S300 4-PW
    Tourstage X Wedge 54/10, 58/12
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red CS 35"

Cool everyone. He ain't ever gonna be a +2, but if it's something for us to do together then I'm happy; cause I can't play xbox for shit!
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Fondest memory is playing and learning with my dad when I was 11yo.... I got my handicap at 12yo on 24 (max for men) learn abit about myself when playing golf and watch how other should/shouldn't behave on the course.

Wish my old man is still around to enjoy golf with.

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Yep, get him out there goughy. Juniors are the future of golf. As long as he can keep up, it doesn't matter if he has 80 or 110. Plenty of other golfers out there shooting scores in that range.

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

Same as all the other answers Goughy. If he wants to play golf with you, count your blessings and let him. I don't think there's a minimum level of ability to be allowed to play comp, as long as he can keep up it won't matter what he scores, and even the grumpiest of grumpy old blokes will be patient with a young kid learning the ropes if he has a good attitude.

I've also got fond memories of following my chopper Dad around the golf course, except for the times when he hit his ball into the trees and yelled at me for not watching it.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

but he's only just 13 now, and certainly not within cooee of being ready to out during comp days.
    I think I was around that age for my first ever comp round. Frequency is the key to getting it rolling though. The first few times are going to be slow and that's when you need to try and play in a group where everyone is going to be ok helping move along.

Once he's got a few rounds under his belt though things will start to smooth out.

I've also played plenty of comp rounds with 14 year olds that were there playing on their own. So it can be done.

First time at the range together this Arvo, seems someone may need some new clubs! Kyan still has his Callaway XJ junior set we bought for him ages ago, and I think they're too short now. He was topping everything, until I have him one of my clubs and had him Coke up on the grip and mucho better. He can just keep using mine for a while, but at some time I'll chase some up here for him, and we'll have to sell that XJ set of his.
    Ping G10 Project X S
    Ping G10 21* Hybrid Reg
    Ping i3+ 4-W CS Lite S
    Ping Hoofer Vantage
    Golflucky

Moderator Touring Pro (PGA)
    Blog Entries

First time at the range together this Arvo, seems someone may need some new clubs! Kyan still has his Callaway XJ junior set we bought for him ages ago, and I think they're too short now. He was topping everything, until I have him one of my clubs and had him Coke up on the grip and mucho better. He can just keep using mine for a while, but at some time I'll chase some up here for him, and we'll have to sell that XJ set of his.
    I wonder if MrBluu has a spare set?

To this day, I still choke down on the grip on every single shot, most likely because I used clubs that were too long for me when I was starting out and I just kept the habit.
    Still not playing enough GolfLink | Slightly less terrible stats brought to you by Golfshot - F: 57%, GIR: 23%, UD: 14%, P: 34. Wow, improvement! | Nickent brand ho or tightarse? You be the judge!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/4Y4Q0jZ.jpg[/img]

Thread Information