I'll start the thread.

While I think the Masters is a better major, the Open is unmissable every year. This year should be no exception.

I can't pick the winner at this stage, but I'm going to prepare by watching lots of previous Opens on Foxtel.

I watched 2013 earlier today. It was an indicator of the truism that every one remembers the winner and nobody recalls the placegetters (or at least I don't). I didn't even recall that Adam Scott was near the lead with a few holes to go. It was also interesting to listen to the commentary. The lead amateur was Matt Fitzpatrick, and they were right in predicting he would be a star. But they also were speculating about how many more majors Tiger would win. They were wrong about that one.

Thinking about past Carnoustie Opens diesn't help much in finding the winner. Padraig won in 2009 from Sergio. At the time, they were among the best players in the world. The previous one was the Paul Lawrie upset and Van Der Velde, so that one doesn't help at all.

If the Scottish Open is any indication, the course should be dry and firm. It should be brilliant, no matter what happens.