Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Driver question

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Default Driver question

Having been working on my swing for the driver over the last few months, and seem to have worked to a consistent swing hitting fairly straight and seem to hit the balls mostly in the middle of the club face.
    I am now back to my M1 10.5 with the AD TP 6S shaft with a SS of around 95-100; Ball flight is still launching it high, but not as high as before, with minimal roll.

Went down to Golf box yesterday with the M1 to compare with different drivers; Have hit a Rogue SZ, the G400 Max and the 917D2 all with stock stiff shafts and 10.5; TBH, the results were all pretty much similar to each other with the G400Max being the most consistent straight, then the M1, 917 and Rogue SZ.

The thing that I took away from the trail was:
    - My smash factor is pretty low (seem to be less than or around 1.4) even when I am hitting the center of the face.
    - my Spin numbers seems to be around 2600rpm with the highest around 3000 with the G400.
    - My carry distance is about 200M and roll to around 215M (longest was 225M with the G400 but with a slight draw)
    - my Lateral angle is around 18* (Guy at GB said it looks like my AoA was still hitting down at the ball)
    - I seem to hit 10.5 much better, and when I try a 9.5 it just seem to become less consistent.

so the question i have is;
    - Can the smash factor be improved? why would it be low even though I have center strike on the club face?
    - if I were to have a positive angle of attack, would that not increase the lateral launch angle even higher?

He must have plenty of good stories to tell

Senior Member Grand Slam Winner

Yes he does. I told him when we play that we must have one hole of uncensored behind the ropes stories from the respected tours.
    Last round my story was why my skipping rope handles never smelled the same after Cashy borrowed them.
    I will not divulge his in any detail but it involved David Hughes, Newk and 3 nights of partying in NY.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Did he tell you why his nickname was Handles?

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    He must have plenty of good stories to tell
    Whatever Greg has to tell, Ferrins will upstage him in the story department everytime.
    Once you go yellow, you will never go back

Ok; went down to Wembley golf club to use their trackman since they had free sessions on offer.
    Using my G410+ with the Tensei white 60S set at 9* with the weight on the draw setting.
    My swing speed is averaging at 98mph, smash factor of mid to high 1.4s; angle of attack is positive 3* and launch angle of around 13.1*
    spin numbers were good at low 2000s; with high at 3000 when I have my club face open and it goes straight right to fade.
    carry distance is 220s to a total of just under 250m

Looking at a few of the shots, the numbers seems to be on the "optimal" range, and I am pretty much reached the "maximum" potential distance with that particular shot.
    So... does that mean I am unable to improve my distance without increasing my swing speed? is this the best I can do?

just curious on how much my swing speed can be improved through equipment optimization before looking at further changes to my swing

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

My guess is equipment cant improve yourswing speed, except for making the shaft longer
    --
    Criticism doesn't bother me, as it means I am doing something and people are watching.
    Handy-Cap

Quote Originally Posted by markTHEblake View Post
    My guess is equipment cant improve yourswing speed, except for making the shaft longer
    yeah,.... I have a 47" shaft to go with the M1 and that didnt work out too well

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Gotta grip it n rip it brotha
    Taylormade M1 16' 430 10.5* Attas G7s
    Taylormade M1 17' 460 10.5* Rogue 125msi 60s
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9* Rogue 125msi 60x
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Rogue 125msi 70s
    Cobra King LTD AD MT 7s
    Taylormade M2 15* Speeder Pro 73s
    Taylormade SLDR 19* Matrix HD7s
    Titleist 716 AP2 5-PW KBS Tour V X stiff
    Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0 Raw Wedges 50* 54* 60* KBS Hi Rev
    Callaway MD3 64* PM Grind
    Taylormade Spider Si 35" Slant Neck

Realistically, how far do you need to hit it? 220 carry is pretty long, giving you wedges into your typical 350m par 4.

I can get my swing speed up towards 110, but I lose accuracy. I'm happy carrying 230 or so, gets me close enough to par 4s and makes most par 5s reachable. Depends on your course though I guess.

But then again, everyone wants to be longer Maybe get a swing speed radar if you want to try to get faster?

220m carry I would say is the best case scenario on the course. Realistically my on course averages probably about 200to 210 carry.
    I think My home course is pretty long so having the extra distance does help on the 2nd shot.
    130M is an 8i for me unfortunately.

What causes the variation? What stops you from hitting it 220 all the time? Are you missing the centre of the club? Inconsistent launch/spin/shape? Or is your swing speed dropping? The first step is probably to increase your consistency - unless you're swinging out of your skin to hit 98mph, in which case it'll be tough you be consistent.

I generally lose speed & distance when I try to kill the ball. When I want a bit extra, I try to get my swing "wider"/"longer" - stand a bit further from the ball, keep my hands further away from my body. The further the clubhead is from your body, generally the faster it's going. But again, it's going to be hard to know if you're making a difference without some way to measure.

I don't try to smash the ball during the trackman session. Just try to swing as normal as possible.

But the difference during round probably due to mental and tee box condition..wind... soggy ground, etc.
    My 2nd shots are generally around the 150-160m range so I am assuming I'm shooting less than the 220 carry.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by okitoki View Post
    220m carry I would say is the best case scenario on the course. Realistically my on course averages probably about 200to 210 carry.
    I think My home course is pretty long so having the extra distance does help on the 2nd shot.
    130M is an 8i for me unfortunately.
    Harty is short!

5,11,14 are really the only “longer” par 4s out there. Maybe 3 as well.

The 5s aren’t long, except 18, which plays longer.

That distance should do you well out there. Harty is all about position and being below the hole on the green, where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    Harty is short!
    lol... well, maybe to a big hitter like you

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

We have some older players at our club who would love to be able to hit it 200 off the tee.They have learnt to use the the short game and to good use,and putt,dam they can putt.And they are single figure handicap and over 70 years old.Distance is only good if you have a short game.If you can bomb it 220,but don't have distance control with shorter irons,then what is the point of being long

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thread Information