Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

View Poll Results: Which Course should we play for Round 2?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Village Links

2 40.00%
  • Tamborine Mountain

3 60.00%
  • Mt Warren Park

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Admin Team Golf Hall of Fame Inductee
    Blog Entries

Smile Explorer Challenge Rnd 2 - Sunday August 12th 8:00 am. Mt Tamborine

Tamborine on August 12th at 8:00 am. 3 groups booked, and 3 carts booked.

Best make a list. I will confirm with them the week before for numbers.

Which course to play? Tentatively Sunday August 12 8:00 am 29th July, so we get it out of the way well before the QLD champs.

Village Links and Tamborine are 9 hole - 18 tee courses.
    I have played Mt Warren a couple of times. Popper was a member there before he went walkabout.

Village Links
    Tamborine Mountain
    Mt Warren Park

1. PeteyD (Cart as course is hilly)
    2. henno
    3. 3puttpete
    4. AndyP
    5. DaveS (pencil)
    8. Popper Maybe
    Last edited by PeteyD; 31st July 2018 at 07:15 AM.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
    1. Daves 37
    2. AndyP 30
    3. PeteyD 30
    4. Henno 25
    I'm awesome.

Senior Member Major Winner

I used to play there a lot as a kid. There used to be 2 holes on the green for each 9? That still there?

Looks like it could use a pruning - trees have really grown out there.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    I used to play there a lot as a kid. There used to be 2 holes on the green for each 9? That still there?
    Nope. Two sets of tees, one hole per green.

Quote Originally Posted by benno_r View Post
    Looks like it could use a pruning - trees have really grown out there.
    Like most SEQ courses: definitely.

Site Owner Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Hole 1/10 - 490/494m Par 5

From the top looking down. The fairway slopes to the right, and the wind was strongly into our face from the highest point on the course. Small green with very little depth.
    IMG_4899.jpg

From the bottom looking back up to the tee (sorry that it is sideways).
    IMG_4901.jpg

Hole 2/11 - 345/327m Par 4

Starting to head back up the hill. Dog leg left, which is a little tight. A tricky two tier green. We are with the wind now.
    IMG_4902.jpg

My way of playing it is to nail the tee shot to the centre, knife it way off the back of the green, then putt it down through rough, short grass, and the tier to give yourself a putt at par.

Hole 3 - 344/298m Par 4

Up the hill towards our starting point, but with the wind this hole plays very short.
    IMG_4909.jpg

Hole 4/13 - 394/410m Par 4.

Looooong par 4, made even longer by going straight into the wind. On the first go, it took me a good drive and 3 wood to get greenside.
    IMG_4911.jpg

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Nice write up and pics AndyP
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Hole 5/14 - 125/137 Par 3.

Not a long par 3, but not a huge target to go at. It didn't look like a fun green to miss, but I wouldn't know. Guys?
    IMG_4916.jpg

Hole 6/15 - 168/198m Par 3

All I know is that you should not go long. It's a tricky green too as it slopes strongly from back to front, although it doesn't appear that way. Decent difference in length for the tees for a par 3.

IMG_4912.jpg

Hole 7/16 - 246/258m Par 4

Off the tee, the hole dips into a valley before heading up the hill to finish above tee height. The valley isn't really in play unless you are a very short bunter. There probably isn't really a great need to go with the big dog on this hole, but you can't help yourself. We were into the wind, so reaching the green was out of play.

IMG_4918.jpg

Hole 8/17 - 198/160m Par 3

Really long uphill par 3, especially the first time around, and we had to play it into the wind. That meant driver, for pin high off the green, and two hybrid, for a putt and kakaaa, on my two goes at it. Don't miss too far left.

IMG_4913.jpg

Hole 9/18 - 484/476m Par 4

Decisions, decisions. Do you go to the left, the right, or high over the trees? The photo is what you are presented with the first time around.
    IMG_4914.jpg

Second time around you are placed to the left, and there isn't as much of a decision.

Obviously, we have to head back to the clubhouse, so that means up the hill, fortunately with the wind for us. The green had a false front, which meant you had to land your ball up there.
    Putts on this green were affected by the wind. I don't think I have experienced that too many times.
    IMG_4915.jpg

Well above sea level. Here's the view as you leave the club driveway.
    IMG_4919.jpg
    Last edited by AndyP; 12th August 2018 at 09:11 PM.

Your attachments on the last aren't showing, AP.

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    It’s strange. They wouldn’t show for me on the PC when I posted it either, yet I can see them right now in Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    I just re-attached the photos, and it seems to be happy with that now. Although there is another sideways (portrait) photo in there.

I just re-attached the photos, and it seems to be happy with that now. Although there is another sideways (portrait) photo in there.
    This is amateur hour. If I was a mod, I'd never stand for this malarkey.

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner

I should also add a comment about getting there. From Brisbane, there are basically two ways up the mountain; the main tourist route, Tamborine Oxenford Rd via North Tamborine, or the lesser used Maudsland Road. Neither road is great, but Maudsland Road is barely a road towards the end. There is a kilometre or so of very steep climb, with 270 degree switch backs and very patchy tarmac. I nearly didn't make it through one corner. The severe inside camber caused the inside rear tyre to loose traction and traction control kicked in, locking the wheel. I managed to crawl through it, just.

The Fortitude Brewery is just south of the Gallery Walk in Eagles Heights, about 10kms north of the golf club. There was traffic everywhere on the way through, at the Tamborine Showground Markets, at the main lookout (Sowter Park) and it was wall to wall as we got to the Gallery Walk area. As it turned out the Tamborine Oxenford Road had lots of roads works going on, and it was a very slow trip down the mountain, back to the highway.

Blog Entries

I liked the windy road. Need an AWD car to really drive it. Reminded me of the run up to Montville from the bottom (not from Melany or Mapleton).

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    I should also add a comment about getting there. From Brisbane, there are basically two ways up the mountain; the main tourist route, Tamborine Oxenford Rd via North Tamborine, or the lesser used Maudsland Road. Neither road is great, but Maudsland Road is barely a road towards the end. There is a kilometre or so of very steep climb, with 270 degree switch backs and very patchy tarmac. I nearly didn't make it through one corner. The severe inside camber caused the inside rear tyre to loose traction and traction control kicked in, locking the wheel. I managed to crawl through it, just.

The Fortitude Brewery is just south of the Gallery Walk in Eagles Heights, about 10kms north of the golf club. There was traffic everywhere on the way through, at the Tamborine Showground Markets, at the main lookout (Sowter Park) and it was wall to wall as we got to the Gallery Walk area. As it turned out the Tamborine Oxenford Road had lots of roads works going on, and it was a very slow trip down the mountain, back to the highway.
    I'm from Brisbane and came up Tamborine Mountain Rd. It was okay, except for the cyclists risking their lives going up.

I also used Lahey Rd, Long Rd to get to the brewery, which skipped the Gallery Walk area.

I'm from Brisbane and came up Tamborine Mountain Rd. It was okay, except for the cyclists risking their lives going up.

I also used Lahey Rd, Long Rd to get to the brewery, which skipped the Gallery Walk area.
    Not so much traffic at 7.00am. I had a 10+ minute wait at the road works traffic lights in the afternoon. We also used Lahey and Long Roads, but the Gallery Walk traffic and parking started well before the Brewery.

The Land Barge loved the winding roads on the way up. I saw my OBDII gauge display 70L/100km fuel use at one point.

Looking on Google, the short section of winding road is actually designated a different name, the entirely appropriate "Mystery Road". From Google Maps, I think this is the switchback in question;

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-27....7i13312!8i6656

Blog Entries

So good on the fuel. Sometime I am happy I have the little diesel turbo.

spasticrap
    Sim 2 Max / PRGR
    3W 7W 4H - Sim 2 Max
    Miura 57 CBs - ADDI
    Odessey #7

Thread Information