Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: 2018 US Open

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve57 View Post
    A very interesting article that makes a lot of sense.
    You would think that after 2004 the USGA would have prepared for exactly that.
    They obviously didnt seek the guidance of locals such as the author of this commentary.
    The comments on Reddit from other superintendents who've worked on USGA events said the club's staff had no input as the USGA just told them what to do.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Japanese Tour)

Quote Originally Posted by 3puttpete View Post
    I thought this course was unfair and all the good shots were punished and the only blokes playing well were lucky.
    Whambulance.jpg

/rolleyes

Senior Member Major Winner

So i watched the remainder of the tournament, and i thought the final day was a cracking test of golf. A handful under par, Tommy kisses a leprechaun on the todger and shoots an insanely good round of golf, and the rest of them battled to stay in the hunt.

DJ should should have won this by 10 if the poor bastard could buy a putt. That is two Opens he has lost now. Bugger. Brooks played good golf all day - and kept his shit when he got the bad breaks... if only Tommy had sunk that final putt... but then again - IMO Brooks deserved the win.

My only concern was that the leader board had the same style of golfers there. Those guys that hit it miles and stupidly high. Sure we had the odd outlier, but in all honestly what saved these blokes was being able to hit the driving iron 270 and then hit 8 iron into the stratosphere to the green. Nothing we can do about it - the ball has such a low spin rate now - that the only guys who can hit it high are these guys. You don't need to control that spin like you did 10-12 years ago and the courses are American so you cant play it along the ground like you can for the Open Championship.

I have to admit, it is my least favorite major. The USGA cant seem to get it right and really it has been outdated by technology. I thought the Players was a better competition.

That is my 2 cents, all i learned is that when i grow up - i want to hit it like Tony Finau.

Thread Information