Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
Donate Now Goal amount for the next month: 1000 AUD, Received: 0 AUD (0%)
**** Please donate to the Toowoomba Hospital Foundation as part of the Leon Treadwell Memorial Charity Day ****

Note: If you would like to avoid Paypal from getting their cut, either make a paypal payment to andyp@ozgolf.net as a "Gift", or PM AndyP for OZgolf's bank account details.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2018 US Open

Member Touring Pro (Aust PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
    The USGA lost the course and have admitted as such.

Having to water the greens in between groups is an absolute joke.

It’s a good thing they aren’t playing at Rodent’s home track or things might have really got out of hand.
    I was 3 feet below the hole on our 4th with 2 putts to win the hole. I hit my putt up to within inches of the hole before it rolled back past where I'd putted from. I then missed the 5 footer up the hill to halve the hole. I've never seen the pros having to deal with that crap. Lucky for them that they'd probably be about 12 under for the 16 holes that are fair.

Senior Member Touring Pro (European Tour)

Anyone else hear DJ, “if I had of hit it any fkn harder, it woulda gone down the hill”

Having to water the greens in between groups is an absolute joke.
    Were they though? I saw them watering chasing the final group, but that was dismissed by the commentators and the USGA as standard practice.

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    Anyone else hear DJ, “if I had of hit it any fkn harder, it woulda gone down the hill”
    I think he actually said, "If I hit it any harder it would've gone down the f...kn hill".... but yes, clear as day. And accurate.

Senior Member Golf Hall of Fame Inductee

Quote Originally Posted by Rodent View Post
    I was 3 feet below the hole on our 4th with 2 putts to win the hole. I hit my putt up to within inches of the hole before it rolled back past where I'd putted from. I then missed the 5 footer up the hill to halve the hole. I've never seen the pros having to deal with that crap. Lucky for them that they'd probably be about 12 under for the 16 holes that are fair.
    The course was ridiculous on Thursday. Yesterday was insane. I’ve always hated when courses get tricked up like that just to keep scores down.

I had something similar to you at my old club in pennant a few years ago. 2 putts to win the hole from 6 feet, uphill. 2nd putt was from further away than the first.

Quote Originally Posted by henno View Post
    Were they though? I saw them watering chasing the final group, but that was dismissed by the commentators and the USGA as standard practice.
    Was it only after the final group? I was mistaken. They did it between groups at Shinnecock in 04.

They were trying to cover it up at the time, but they’ve now admitted they have stuffed up.

Was it only after the final group? I was mistaken. They did it between groups at Shinnecock in 04.

They were trying to cover it up at the time, but they’ve now admitted they have stuffed up.
    Yeah, they were certainly doing it on the 7th in 2004. Which is why the cameras obviously kept firing to those shots of them watering the greens this afternoon, but they were watering holes after DJ and Koepka went through.

11 afternoon groups had a scoring average of three and a half shots higher than the morning groups.

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

New York crowds, eh. It's about as funny as yelling 'Taxi!' every time someone bumps a drink.

I've heard a lot of ill-natured heckling and laughing from the crowd for just missed putts, too.
    I lived there for a couple of years and after seeing their school system nothing like this surprises me.

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Daves View Post
    The big issue was the course was totally different for the afternoon field, not how hard it was per se. The USGA have admitted as much. They misread the potential impact of the wind.

As to Phil, it was a bit comical, but not as much as some of the outright indignation coming from some quarters. Beef thought it was pretty funny, actually.
    It’s his birthday. He can do what he wants. Made a 10 in the process of telling the USGA to get F****D!! You da man!!

The course was ridiculous on Thursday. Yesterday was insane. I’ve always hated when courses get tricked up like that just to keep scores down.

I had something similar to you at my old club in pennant a few years ago. 2 putts to win the hole from 6 feet, uphill. 2nd putt was from further away than the first.

Hopefully they make it a dart board tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHY View Post
    Hopefully they make it a dart board tomorrow.
    The post round show said it would be real tough to get it anywhere close. Said they were beyond slowing them up with the conditions the way they are now

The post round show said it would be real tough to get it anywhere close. Said they were beyond slowing them up with the conditions the way they are now
    Yeah it was a little facetious. Although the players have to expect what’s coming tomorrow and make a little change in their style of play, Open Championship style.

Yeah it was a little facetious. Although the players have to expect what’s coming tomorrow and make a little change in their style of play, Open Championship style.
    The only issue is a lot of those holes can’t really be played in an open style with absolutely everything sloping off the greens

The only issue is a lot of those holes can’t really be played in an open style with absolutely everything sloping off the greens
    Which is why this baked out fiasco further hurts the USGA’s image. The greens need some life to be able to play them correctly.

“CORRECTLY”!!!

Which is why this baked out fiasco further hurts the USGA’s image. The greens need some life to be able to play them correctly.

“CORRECTLY”!!!
    They love stuffing with their open. They deserve all the criticism that comes their way

Senior Member Touring Pro (Nationwide Tour)

The 18th hope was a perfect example of how not to place a pin. DJ, Koepka and Rose were all in perfect positions in the fairway to attack the pin. All 3 were all over the flag but rolled through above the hole. All 3 had a longer putts back up the hill. Combined the 3 played the hole in +2. Only Koepka made his par putt, which was an excellent putt. It was like watching ground hog day watch those 3 play the hole. You just knew they were going to be bent over for a good shot
    Last edited by SundayHack; 17th June 2018 at 05:19 PM.

Senior Member Major Winner

Is anyone enjoying this kind of golf?

I would just rather watch something else... I thought DJ was really good the first two days, but this is just carnage.

I can see this any weekend at my local golf course. It is hilariously slow, and just not that entertaining.

You guys??

Senior Member Multiple Major Winner
    Reaching for my Laser cos I'm a few paces off the green... :)

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post

I would just rather watch something else... I thought DJ was really good the first two days, but this is just carnage.

I can see this any weekend at my local golf course. It is hilariously slow, and just not that entertaining.

You guys??
    Yep, just like my club champs, ppl struggling to break 80.....so much fun!!!

You guys??
    I want to immediately say no, but if I am genuinely honest I am probably addicted to the drama of knowing a 2-3 shot lead can be blown every time anyone steps up to the ball. That's probably kept me watching.

I think they need to dial it back a notch though. I enjoy risk-v-reward scenarios where players are seduced by a course into playing a risky shot and are punished if they don't get it 100% accurate, but are rewarded if they nail it (giggity). Watching great shots get bent over is never much fun to watch.

If tomorrow is worse still, I wouldn't be surprised if players start aiming for a bailout area of their choosing rather than flag hunting and even just trying their luck at a chip in from the fringe. When playing to par has you striping the top half of the field, where is the incentive to stick it at the pin and take it up the butt.

You guys??
    Much more enjoyable than driver, wedge and the bloke who misses the fewest 5 foot birdie putts wins IMO.

Your local course would be shooting 150 on this.

It’s like test cricket. 130v 150 is a bullshit seemer. 600 v 650 and it’s a road.

Either way, whoever plays the best wins.

There has to be a happier medium than this.

Good shots should be rewarded, day one and two was fair, but today was nuts.

Tomorrow should be better. I hope.

Member Club Champion

I want to immediately say no, but if I am genuinely honest I am probably addicted to the drama of knowing a 2-3 shot lead can be blown every time anyone steps up to the ball. That's probably kept me watching.I think they need to dial it back a notch though. I enjoy risk-v-reward scenarios where players are seduced by a course into playing a risky shot and are punished if they don't get it 100% accurate, but are rewarded if they nail it (giggity). Watching great shots get bent over is never much fun to watch.If tomorrow is worse still, I wouldn't be surprised if players start aiming for a bailout area of their choosing rather than flag hunting and even just trying their luck at a chip in from the fringe. When playing to par has you striping the top half of the field, where is the incentive to stick it at the pin and take it up the butt.
    Have to agree with henno here. I enjoy the drama. It's different to what we see week in and week out. If it was anymore than once or twice a year i would say it's too much but it is the u.s open which is known to be a tough test. I got no problem with it. Ftr too I had no problem with Phil's antics either... it was a good point well made and made for excellent viewing..... 🙄

There has to be a happier medium than this.

Good shots should be rewarded, day one and two was fair, but today was nuts.

Tomorrow should be better. I hope.
    I reckon good shots are rewarded but the good shots this week are different to other weeks.

Every course has holes where the good/smart play is to aim away from the pin, hope for 1 but be happy with 2 putts. This week there are more of them.

I suppose in the end it’s a mindset.

Default 2018 US Open

Yeah,. Have to agree with the mindset.

As a player, my issue is that luck will determine the winner, sure skill will be part of it... But lucky lies and bounces will control this tournament. More so than others.

It also shows what a procession golf has become week to week. That this kind of chopping is welcome.

I guess we have this chat each time the us open gets silly, but it is what it is and it is only one week a year.

Put spin back on the ball, that will make it harder !!

Yeah,. Have to agree with the mindset.

As a player, my issue is that luck will determine the winner, sure skill will be part of it... But lucky lies and bounces will control this tournament. More so than others.

It also shows what a procession golf has become week to week. That this kind of chopping is welcome.

I guess we have this chat each time the us open gets silly, but it is what it is and it is only one week a year.

Put spin back on the ball, that will make it harder !!
    There’s been a lot of chat this week on the reliance on the bomb and gouge mentality and how this event has exposed it for what it is, one dimensional. Experts at it like Rory,Day,Rahm etc all missed the cut which says enough.

I partially sit on the fence, the USGA chases it’s tail to reach a score and in the process there’s some ridiculous situations. Then again the top 10 at the moment is littered with unbelievable talent and guys like DJ, Rose, defending Champ Koepka, Stenson, Masters Champ Reed, Furyk prove that it’s not just the lucky but the brilliant that are playing well.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome in the morning.

Thread Information