Welcome to the ozgolf.net forums.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jono's swing

Senior Member Touring Pro (PGA)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucasto23 View Post
    Love seeing the work your putting in and the results will come down the track
    Thanks for the encouragement mate. 👍🏻😊

Senior Member Major Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    . I've always been shut at the top and steep coming down leading to high hands at impact and stall flip. Working with a coach now so see how we go. This drill is just something I did at the range to try to get into a better backswing position.
    Just when you are bored... you can always do the glove under the right armpit and hit some punch shots. The body looks solid, but that right elbow on the takeaway is pretty brutal.

But you look like you have lost so much angle on the way down... you were always pretty strong on the way down. that seemsto have gone completely.

Good luck mate - nice to see you swinging it.

Quote Originally Posted by virge666 View Post
    Just when you are bored... you can always do the glove under the right armpit and hit some punch shots. The body looks solid, but that right elbow on the takeaway is pretty brutal.But you look like you have lost so much angle on the way down... you were always pretty strong on the way down. that seemsto have gone completely.Good luck mate - nice to see you swinging it.
    Can you elaborate on loss of the angle mate? You mean lag?

The Flamingo Drill!

Easy 90m gap wedge shots. 😊

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/NCKdV84K

Working hard mate !!

yes i do mean lag - but you back foot drill you can really see how much more flatter the plane when you swing it with that right elbow in front of the body.

You do look a little hunched and the legs are bent too much... it just looks like your core is not holding the power of the downswing. I would fix the posture, stand taller and get a bit more Rory about it all, use those legs to push up on the downswing and let momentum bring you through the ball. look at your left foot post impact, it just isnt happy.

bit hard to describe on the forum, but look at your avatar and look at your body position on the video .. one is tall and powerful, the other is rounded and cramped, and not really built for that insane amount of handspeed you have.

Working hard mate !!yes i do mean lag - but you back foot drill you can really see how much more flatter the plane when you swing it with that right elbow in front of the body.You do look a little hunched and the legs are bent too much... it just looks like your core is not holding the power of the downswing. I would fix the posture, stand taller and get a bit more Rory about it all, use those legs to push up on the downswing and let momentum bring you through the ball. look at your left foot post impact, it just isnt happy.bit hard to describe on the forum, but look at your avatar and look at your body position on the video .. one is tall and powerful, the other is rounded and cramped, and not really built for that insane amount of handspeed you have.
    Thanks mate. Yeah, my coach suggested I get Gravity Fit for posture and core stability. Have you had any experience with it?FWIW, I've lost about 8-10mph club head speed compared to my pre shoulder surgery days but my main focus at the moment is hitting it straighter and more consistently.

Been working on my posture with Gravity Fit TPro and doing this drill to keep the elbows in front of me more.

https://youtu.be/HmTe_N39ElE

Look at the range rat, love it!!!
    If it aint for sale the right price has just not been offered

Much prefer that - looks good mate.

Congrats.

Look at the range rat, love it!!!
    Ha ha. I’m getting there. 😊

Much prefer that - looks good mate.Congrats.
    Thanks mate. 😊

Played around with ggswingtips ideas. Rotate the body while shaft flattens and sets on plane. Felt like I was facing the target at impact. Hit some nice shots like this. Baby fades which I like. However I couldn’t get any zip in the swing. As virge said before I get most of my club head speed from the arm swing and this felt like my arms were tied to my body through impact. https://youtu.be/iwqp622Ich8

Played around with ggswingtips ideas. Rotate the body while shaft flattens and sets on plane. Felt like I was facing the target at impact. Hit some nice shots like this. Baby fades which I like. However I couldn’t get any zip in the swing. As virge said before I get most of my club head speed from the arm swing and this felt like my arms were tied to my body through impact. https://youtu.be/iwqp622Ich8
    Thats a hold off swing mate.. dont like it.

Same backswing, bit taller posture, hit a cross court topspin forehand. Keep those hips moving through impact.

Thats a hold off swing mate.. dont like it.Same backswing, bit taller posture, hit a cross court topspin forehand. Keep those hips moving through impact.
    Yeah, I’m probably not doing the swing justice. I don’t think I’m flexible enough.I like the feel of the flamingo drill where I post on the left leg and swing the arms. The key for me is keeping the width in the downswing and swing left through impact. Is that what you mean by cross court forehand?

Not quite... you have width, no probs there. but how that right wrist works through impact denotes what your lower body does and heance how you turn through the ball.

So if you have the back of your right wrist 45 degrees down through impact then your shoulders will open early. They have to.

If you have your right wrist 45 degees upwards (weak right grip) through impact - then your left shoulder will be too low through impact.

so think of a tennis swing... body sets up into a firm left side and the right wrist comes down in what you would call an "open" position and also a level'ish right forearm, and this hitting action is then continued through impact is a slightly upward motion over the left shoulder. The body simply moves through the ball following this action.

The bit you dont have is the part where the club shaft comes DOWN and then AROUND into impact - you just come straight down into impact from a very steep plane, and that needs the low right side to counterbalance the action.

Look up Faldo's old PRESET drill. been around for decades.. you set the club - you turn the shoulders and then you bring the club back down through that same preset position.

WIll see if i can find it.

Jono feel like the club is going 30* right in the Downswing

Yep I agree I come down too steep and that was the main reason I am looking into George Gankas stuff. I love how he gets his students to flatten the downswing without manipulating the hands.

What about this? I was playing around with the flattening/turning move with the impact bag.

https://youtu.be/kaotywH4qt0

Look at your knees from behind.

Your right hip is not moving backwards, which means your hands are outside on the way back. I should be able to see your left knee towards teh ball and you back hip moving backwards away from the ball.

You HAVE to fix the backswing direction if you want to be able to drop the club on the right forearm.

Jono feel like the club is going 30* right in the Downswing
    Thanks mate. Just need a way to get my hand down to shaft plane without getting steep. Work in progress. 😊

Thanks mate. Just need a way to get my hand down to shaft plane without getting steep. Work in progress.
    It will help flatten you out from one steep player to another working on some similar things and incorporating some of the gg golf stuff too

It will help flatten you out from one steep player to another working on some similar things and incorporating some of the gg golf stuff too
    Do you feel like you’re staying closed to the target a bit longer at the start of the downswing?

Do you feel like you’re staying closed to the target a bit longer at the start of the downswing?
    To be honest don’t even think about that as once I have aligned myself before a swing I just try and get the body moving forward an make sure I feel the club head exiting right with a full release as if I don’t it is pull and hook city right now

To be honest don’t even think about that as once I have aligned myself before a swing I just try and get the body moving forward an make sure I feel the club head exiting right with a full release as if I don’t it is pull and hook city right now
    Here’s my problem. Although I come down steep, I tend to come too much from the inside. When I went on a launch monitor last year, I was about 5 degrees inside out with face closed to the path. I’ve been swinging it left through impact which is actually more down the line for me, and for the first time I can hit controlled fades. The problem is I’m still coming down too steep so occasionally i’ll pull one left.I really like a lot of what George says and if I can figure out how to shallow out without getting myself into artificial positions, I’d be really happy. 😊

Yeah I don’t do the number side of things, just don’t stall out on his stuff as then it hurts. If the body wins the race fades are go mate

Thread Information